Need help! Frame cracked? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Need help! Frame cracked?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 07-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Workman13
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Need help! Frame cracked?

After i bought my jeep about a month ago i noticed this spot that almost looks like it was welded. I hadn't had a good chance to look at it until now. It almost looks like someone has welded the frame, maybe put a patch on it or something? Could the frame have been bent or is that something that was already there?

Workman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Spokes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

they cant weld for **** lol

your jeep have a clean title when you bought it? Looks like everything has been repainted, did u do that or buy it that way?

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Workman13
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ya i know! Yes it has a clean title. The PO said the undercarriage was painted already whenever he purchased it. None of the fenders or pumpers look like they have been repainted and only one small dent on driver side fender.

Do you think it was cracked and they attempted to fix it?
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Rust repair perhaps.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Rust repair perhaps.
^^^ This.

Take a wire brush to the area and see what's under that paint.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

are you supposed to just hit EVERYTHING with paint like that?

College Student in Genetics, Jeeper and musician

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Compare the driver side area to the passenger side area.

That is either accident damage crudely repaired, or a cracked frame crudely repaired.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
Workman13
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The passengers side looks clean with nothing welded that shouldn't be. The doors seem to line up the same on both sides. After inspecting it some more there appears to be a full plate running from the very front of the frame back to where it is welded. At the front it is bolts only nothing is welded. It is only welded where the pictures show. You can see up behind the plate in a couple spots and do not see any signs of being broke or anything. All of the fenders and everything seem to line up as they should.... I am going to have someone i know who knows a lot more about jeeps look at it whenever he gets a chance.
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:34 AM   #9
Workman13
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone on advice on what to do? Is this something where i should run away? I don't want to screw someone else over but it appears it has been done to me. Paid $3000 for it and don't want it to be something i have to continue to mess with and spend money on. Besides that it is a good running jeep and in good shape, only 87000 miles on it.
Unread 07-20-2014, 04:01 AM   #10
Workman13
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have been reading about people having issues with the frame cracking by the steering box. Is that where this is located? I am unsure where the steering box is.
Unread 07-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The XJ Cherokee frame can crack near the steering box bolts. Use the Google, there are lots of pictures and threads on the topic.

Drive it and monitor the repair. If it's fine, fine. If it needs repair in the future, you can buy the parts needed and have them correctly welded.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 07-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman13 View Post
I have been reading about people having issues with the frame cracking by the steering box. Is that where this is located? I am unsure where the steering box is.
Yes the steering box is there (see the round-ish thing with a shaft going into it on the left hand side of the first pic) and cracks are common here if the vehicle has been heavily off-roaded.

The welds are hard to say, they sure look ugly, but I've seen ugly welds that are plenty strong so that doesn't mean they are "bad" from a structual standpoint.

I would however recomend doing something to re-inforce the area (even if the welds are good the area will likely eventually re-crack due to the same stresses that caused it to crack in the first place), either by welding on some plate (clean up and inspect the existing welds and re-weld if necessary if you go this route) or with one of the bolt-on re-inforcement kits like this (note: if you plan on getting an aftermarket bumper many of those have frame-tie-ins that also reinforce the steering box area):C-ROK Frame Repair and Reinforcing Kit $95
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #13
Workman13
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here is a picture of the plate that runs from the front of the frame back to where it is welded. It is bolted on in several places and then welded at the very end.

This is the plate on the inside of the frame right next to the steering box.
Unread 07-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #14
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The better pictures show that the plates are what is normally used for repair of a cracked frame rail. The welds still look ugly, but as already suggested may be good enough.

I would apply welds to all the slotted openings and around the perimeter of the plate. The plate and the frame rail will need to be cleaned to bare metal for best results.

Even if you do not get any additional welding, grind off the junk around the bolts and use some extra thick Grade 8 washers. Only remove and fix one bolt at a time.

Unread 07-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #15
sean883
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like they used this JKS repair kit. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

http://jksmfg.com/i-8938560-cherokee...side-only.html
sean883 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.