JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   need a battery suggestion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/need-battery-suggestion-1519864/)

Stegs 05-07-2013 06:43 AM

need a battery suggestion

my 3 year old interstate took a dump, so im in the market

I dont run off road lights, or a winch, or a stereo

Just looking for a decent HD battery for the price

A local guy who I trust sells wolverine HD batteries, and the best one is 129.99

also, whats the most cca I can get without hurting the starter?

GrnJeep 05-07-2013 09:56 AM

I went to orielly and got the platinum edition. It's rediculously strong and still fits in stock location. Plus 3yr no questions warranty

DualPurposeXJ 05-07-2013 03:32 PM

sears diehard platinum, i've had goodluck with this battery. i believe its made by odyssey

mschi772 05-07-2013 06:18 PM

I just replaced my batt with a size 34 (a teeny bit bigger than the stock size 58; just need to trim a little of the batt tray if you want it to sit level) Napa Legend. It has a 2 yr free replacement warranty and an 84 month warranty. Over 800 cca at 0 deg F and like 1000 cca at 32 for a little over $100. They also sell an AGM battery. These days East Penn makes Napa's batteries (Deka is a brand that East Penn makes that you may know).

Diehard Platinums are also well-regarded (by Odyssey).

Anything by Johnson Controls (including Interstate) is also regarded well.

The battery my XJ's previous owner used was an Autocraft Titanium (Advance Auto Parts house brand). It lasted over 6 years and despite being size 58, it still had well over 500 cca at 0 deg F over 700 cca at 32 deg F.

If you don't have any aux accessories or high powered audio, you really don't need to scrutinize what battery you buy. Find something with over 500 cca with a decent reputation and a good price. You're the kind of guy that has little to no use for big, fancy expensive batteries--they'd just be a waste of your money. If you do a lot of hard wheeling, consider an AGM battery though; they don't spill and are extremely durable.

Charley3 05-08-2013 02:23 AM

Sears Platinun Diehard Group 65 (Ford Super Duty size) is most power that will fit in a stock XJ battery tray, though a tad bit if grinding is needed. My cousin put in his XJ.

I previously put one in stock LJ.

Alternatively, you could put in a Group 34 Sears Diehard Platinum and it might fit with no grinding. A G34 SDP is more powerful than stock battery, and more powerful than G34 Red Top Optima.

SDP batteries have 4 year warranty.

SDP is both a starter CCA battery and a deep cycle battery in one. SDP have most CCA and most deep cycle run time of any battery of same size. SDP are the tits. Size G65 SDP is big tits.

BTW - the SDP in sizes G34 and G65 cost the same. So might as well go for the big tits!

A big battery doesn't hurt starter.

Charley3 05-08-2013 02:34 AM

If money tight, any will do. If I was tight on money, then probably Napa or Interstate.

Stegs 05-08-2013 10:20 AM

thanks guys, after having the battery tested at 3 different places, found out my battery isnt the issue...its a starter or something wierd

i will keep this in mind when it comes time to replace one in my jeep and my truck

truck is going to need a deep cycle, running HID, subs, fogs etc..

jcrawler93 05-08-2013 11:36 AM

Optima Batteries yellow tops

Motorcharge 05-09-2013 06:43 PM

I've never had issues with Interstate batteries. Hell, I've left my headlights on all day at work and had the Jeep fire right up on the one I have now. If you can catch one of their battery trucks they'll sell you a "blem" for $30 with a one year warranty.

Charley3 05-09-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorcharge (Post 15412969)
I've never had issues with Interstate batteries. Hell, I've left my headlights on all day at work and had the Jeep fire right up on the one I have now. If you can catch one of their battery trucks they'll sell you a "blem" for $30 with a one year warranty.

Great idea re blem.

I'm now visualizing you and the OP chasing battery trucks. :laugh:

Motorcharge 05-10-2013 09:11 AM

I work at a dealership so I see our local guy once a week.

Charley3 05-10-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorcharge (Post 15415230)
I work at a dealership so I see our local guy once a week.

OK. Makes sense.

It was more fun to imagine you chasing a battery truck like a kid chasing an ice cream truck.

Finallyajeep 05-10-2013 01:42 PM

I had an interstate for a while, never had any problems with it, once it died I replaced it with a Diehard platinum which I had to replace once 1 year later due to faulty battery. Sears replaced with a new one no questions asked so Im happy.

Charley3 05-13-2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finallyajeep (Post 15416323)
I had an interstate for a while, never had any problems with it, once it died I replaced it with a Diehard platinum which I had to replace once 1 year later due to faulty battery. Sears replaced with a new one no questions asked so Im happy.

Sears has 4 year warranty on Diehard Platinum.

How do you like it? What size is it?

Finallyajeep 05-14-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charley3 (Post 15425970)
Sears has 4 year warranty on Diehard Platinum.

How do you like it? What size is it?

Not positive what size I have, but it fit quite snugly in the factory battery location on my XJ, probably wouldn't have been able to go any bigger without some modification.

Other than the first battery which was faulty and wouldn't hold a charge after a year the battery works very well. Like you said sears honored their 4 year warranty no questions asked (at the second store, first sears the manager was an a**) Always starts up strong, even in frigid temps after sitting for a few days. Overall I'm happy with it.

The time now is 08:02 PM.