need a alternative to mounting stock fender flare - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > need a alternative to mounting stock fender flare

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
Jeepgcl9947

need a alternative to mounting stock fender flare

So kid who had my xj before me decided to rip the flares off, along with snap ons for the fender flares. Whats a different way to mount these things? Any useful input would be helpful.

Jeepgcl9947 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2015, 04:03 AM   #2
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

You can buy the mounts for them still. I know Quadratec sells them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You can also compare the price of that hardware to what a jy will charge you. Even if you have to buy the flares with the hardware, it still may be cheaper.
Unread 07-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

Good luck pulling the flares and brackets without breaking the hardware. It's almost if not completely impossible. I think I've maybe managed to get two 10mm nuts off the studs out of who knows how many flares I've tried to pull. I don't even bother trying to loosen them anymore, I just tighten them til they break off and that takes like no effort.

Quote:
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Unread 07-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Good luck pulling the flares and brackets without breaking the hardware. It's almost if not completely impossible. I think I've maybe managed to get two 10mm nuts off the studs out of who knows how many flares I've tried to pull. I don't even bother trying to loosen them anymore, I just tighten them til they break off and that takes like no effort.
Is this due to rust or the design?
Unread 07-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Is this due to rust or the design?
Iirc the brackets are aluminum so the slightest bit of rust or even just 20 years worth of road crap being thrown into them from the tires makes them seize up. Just the leverage and a bit of force applied to a wrench is enough to make them break off.

My MJ barely even has surface rust on it and I hosed the brackets and studs/nuts down with acetone/atf and tried hard to keep from ruining the brackets and flares and even the first one I tried to take off I broke all but one or two of them.

Quote:
Unread 07-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The bolts are thin and low-grade steel, so not much rust holds the nut tight enough to snap them. So....both really.

I haven't seen them for buying outside of quadratec and junkyards. I'm about to dump my stock ones for napiers, I guess I could ship you a set if all the studs don't break off.
Unread 07-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I had a curiosity cuz I wanna pull the flares, do my stripe, then put the flares back over the ends of the vilyl. If its gonna screw up how tight my flares fit I'd rather take the chance of the vinyl peeling.
Unread 07-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #9
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
I had a curiosity cuz I wanna pull the flares, do my stripe, then put the flares back over the ends of the vilyl. If its gonna screw up how tight my flares fit I'd rather take the chance of the vinyl peeling.
I haven't had as manybproblems as most, and have successfully removed and rwinatalled the factory ones before. Bit even with liquid wrench well in advance i lost one stud on each side.
Unread Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #10
Iceman12
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Guess I got lucky then. I had ripped my RR flare off most of the way on my last camping trip. I had bee. Just jamming it back down into the bracket every few days for a while. Got tired of that and pulled the bracket and remounted properly last weekend. No lube, no breakage. But of dirt and rust fell out, just went carefully with a socket and it came on and off. Maybe had I known it was an issue, I would of treated it differently and had an issue? I would say give it a try, if the first bolt breaks, than hold off or order new brackets.
Iceman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:31 PM   #11
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Back when I removed my flares for a repaint, they were pretty bad.

So I grinded off all of the rust and welded on some stronger bolts to the, then slapped on some tough paint before bolting them back in.

Here is them reattached inside.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.