Need advice on what lift to get. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Need advice on what lift to get.

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Count Down to KOH Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-19-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
Workman13
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Need advice on what lift to get.

I have a 97 Cherokee 4.0
I plan on getting a 3" lift with full leafs. I have some 31's BFG KM2'S on Cragar wheels i plan on putting on it. It will be my daily drive/weekend warrior. I will at most wheel it a couple times a month (not enough time to do more) I have narrowed it down to a few but if anyone has other advice i am all ears. I am wanting to stay around the $500 price range because i plan on just using this lift for a few years and will eventually go bigger (i hope).

Here are the ones i have narrowed it down too.

This one is my top choice as of now.
http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...erokee/j21-j22

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...t-kit-630.html

http://www.jegs.com/i/Skyjacker/825/...FQeMaQodppsAFg

Workman13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
FredBull
F-ing A, Cotton

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I hear some good things about Zone, and they offer free shipping to JF members. The other two brands are fine, some love them, some hate them.

Why not piece together a lift that you can add to later on? Something that you can reuse parts that you have already bought. That way you don't spend money twice. It may cost a little more right now, but in the long run you can save some money. Then use that money for SYE, armor, etc.

Research enough, and you can save a ton of money now, get the lift you want, and have something to build on.

Figure out how tall you eventually want it, or what size tires you ultimately want to end up with. Then either piece together separate parts from manufactures, junk yards, ebay, etc and build your own kit.
FredBull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
Workman13
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I don't really know much about lifts or how/what you can piece together. I plan on max going 4 1/2" and 33's, that is at the earliest in 3 ish years. I could end up keeping it for longer just depends on how money is.

What all can you piece together that you would be able to use for a larger lift? I know adjustable control arms is one but not sure what else.
Unread 01-19-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
wjjeep3932
2001 WJ 

If thats all your planning on going tire size you can run 33s on a 3.5, guys do it with lots of trimming. Sounds like you just want a good daily driver that can wheel, and an XJ on 31s (mud tires) and mild lift can wheel pretty darn well really. I would also add IRO to your list of cheap lifts, some love them some hate them buy they did quality stuff for Grand Cherokees thats for sure (used to have a WJ). I honestly plan to go with them for my big 8in lift in a year or so unless someone really steers me away. Would love something more expensive but $1500-$2000 total for a 8in long arm is hard to turn up your nose at.

P.S. Im a souther mudder living in swampy Florida, and I love mud, so no need to tell me how 8in is way to big and I can fit 40s on 4.5, yadyada lol.
wjjeep3932 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 10:56 PM   #5
Workman13
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I am just not sure that i want to do much trimming if any at all. I live in Kansas and its mostly rock trails and not much mud. I don't have funds and probably won't to spend a lot on a lift for awhile but i am wanting to get something soon so that I can do some wheeling. I know i can stock but its just not as fun! Ya i couldn't justify spending that much on a lift, my wife would kill me! I am just looking for something to have some fun in but don't plan on going to crazy with it.
Unread 01-20-2015, 02:08 AM   #6
FredBull
F-ing A, Cotton

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Google these topics :
XJ junkyard lift
XJ budget lift

Read as many pages and different forum discussions as you can. Educate yourself about everything that goes into the process. Then search junk yards, Amazon, eBay and Craigslist, as well as JF classifieds and gather the parts you need. Patience will save you a bunch of money.

31s should be plenty for you, and with a small lift, it will be cheaper. Just do your research
FredBull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.