Need advice on coils + ACO's. 4.5 or 5.5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Need advice on coils + ACO's. 4.5 or 5.5

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 07-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Need advice on coils + ACO's. 4.5 or 5.5

I seem to be stumped on what to get and how I want to do it. I am redoing the front suspension on the front of my jeep, already has 4", and wanting to get at most up to 6.5-7. The only problem I am running into is how I am going to set it up. I could always go ahead and get 6.5" coils but i really don't want to do that since I may decide to sit at 5.5. Since I can't make up my mind I thought I could run some Adjustable Coil Spacers(ACO's) with new springs. Here is where I am stumped, should I go with 4.5" coils+ACO's or 5.5" coils+ACO's?

I am kind of worried that with the 4.5 the spacers will be pushed pretty far down putting more force on the mount than the 5.5 and wearing out the spring faster if I compress it all the way every time I flex. Also concerned with tire stuffing. One of my buddies has 4.5 coils with ACO's to get to 6.5 and stuff his tires pretty dang well but he has 35's and I may end up running 33's.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Coils are cheap just buy the taller coils, if you dont like them buy shorter coils and sell your taller ones
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Coils are cheap just buy the taller coils, if you dont like them buy shorter coils and sell your taller ones
x2. The ACOS setup is nice but its pretty pricey. You could always pick up factory coil isolaters (.75") at a junkyard for next to nothing for fine tuning ride height. It might not be as quick of an adjustment at ACOS, but if you find ideal height on the ACOS adjustment and leave it there, you pretty much bought a very expensive spacer.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the replies guys! Should have thought about coils being so cheap that I could replace with barely any cost. I could sell the ones I didn't want so easy since some in my local Jeep groups are always wanting parts. I am just a one and done kind of guy though and don't like redoing stuff. I may end up getting 5.5 coils and get ACO's when i am ready to move up from there since I can adjust the rear easily.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.