Need Advice - Buying 31s today - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Need Advice - Buying 31s today

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-15-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Need Advice - Buying 31s today

I know there are a few topics on this but I can't find any solid advice, mainly people only talk about slight rubbing, no rubbing and etc..... I know it all depends on how much sheet metal you've hacked off your jeep and what size lift you have, so let me explain what my current situation is.

I'm currently running GoodYear Wrangler 235/75/15 tires, the math on the tire size in inches is 28.8 inches roughly. The Wranglers haven't held up well at all to the trails I've been taking and continuously pop near the sidewall from rocks and heck I wouldn't doubt if a stick didn't poke through them. SO it's time for an upgrade.

I purchased my tires from DiscountTire and just had 3 TIRES REPLACED under warranty! I'm done with these tires and DiscountTire agreed to fully reimburse me for the $75 I paid for each tire if I were to switch to another tire. So I have many options, but I'm not sure which to choose as I have zero experience in tires.

Specs: 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport
Lift: roughly 2-3" all brand new coils, leafs and shocks.
trimming: front and rear fenders trimmed as high as possible.
Wheels: MB 72 15" wheels with 4" backspacing

The guy at the shop seems to think 31/10.5/15 would be my best choice. I'm pretty dead set on 31s unless someone thinks otherwise, I just want to know what tires to get which other people have either used or know something about.

Thanks.

calvin196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Copenhunter
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It all just depends on what your using the tires for. With any 31 and your lift and backspacing I don't see you having any problems with rubbing. I'm running a 2.5" with 31s on wrangler canyons which offset it a little and I have no rubbing even trail riding but my fenders are hacked also. When I had my fenders on it just barely rubbed with rims that had no offset. So rubbing wise you should be good. I just bought a new set of Goodyear Wrangler authorities and I love them! They are cheap, have good meaty tread and grip on the road, in mud, and on trails.. haven't tried rocks yet but if you want a/t 's is go with bfg ats and for a good M/T go with bfg m/t 's! I've never seen a jeep with those get stuck. Hope this helps you a little man!
Copenhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copenhunter View Post
It all just depends on what your using the tires for. With any 31 and your lift and backspacing I don't see you having any problems with rubbing. I'm running a 2.5" with 31s on wrangler canyons which offset it a little and I have no rubbing even trail riding but my fenders are hacked also. When I had my fenders on it just barely rubbed with rims that had no offset. So rubbing wise you should be good. I just bought a new set of Goodyear Wrangler authorities and I love them! They are cheap, have good meaty tread and grip on the road, in mud, and on trails.. haven't tried rocks yet but if you want a/t 's is go with bfg ats and for a good M/T go with bfg m/t 's! I've never seen a jeep with those get stuck. Hope this helps you a little man!
Thanks for the information and I think I've decided I'm going to get the 31/10.5/15 Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure because they have dupont kevlar in the tire to prevent puncture which is exactly what I Need and what I've been looking for.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...c=MIFINT&cs=31

They're $160 a tire, I think that's reasonable when backed with a free 60,000 mile warranty.
Unread 07-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
ATs suck on anything but dry sand and dry rocks. Generally better on the road than MTs, but not always (depends on the tires).

BFG MT KM2s are fairly good at an all-around offroad tire, but are far from being excellent. However, any truly good (dedicated) offroad tire sucks on the pavement, so you don't want those. I've been driving my ZJ niner on 32 x 11.50 BFG MT KM2s for the past three years, and I've liked them. Sidewalls are not the strongest out there, but you need a pretty big stick, or sharp rock to push through them. So far I've liked the amount of grip the provide in sand, rocks, snow, and rocks. Road manners are pretty good as well, not too much noisy. I use my Jeep 70% road, 30% trails.

You can puncture just about any tire, this happened to me couple years ago with the KM2s This was almost a wrist- thick pine that was cut diagonally with a powersaw:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
ATs suck on anything but dry sand and dry rocks. Generally better on the road than MTs, but not always (depends on the tires).

BFG MT KM2s are fairly good at an all-around offroad tire, but are far from being excellent. However, any truly good (dedicated) offroad tire sucks on the pavement, so you don't want those. I've been driving my ZJ niner on 32 x 11.50 BFG MT KM2s for the past three years, and I've liked them. Sidewalls are not the strongest out there, but you need a pretty big stick, or sharp rock to push through them. So far I've liked the amount of grip the provide in sand, rocks, snow, and rocks. Road manners are pretty good as well, not too much noisy. I use my Jeep 70% road, 30% trails.

You can puncture just about any tire, this happened to me couple years ago with the KM2s This was almost a wrist- thick pine that was cut diagonally with a powersaw:

I honestly think a stick is what popped my last tire at The Mounds ORV in Mt. Morris MI

I came out of a mudhole and heard "psss, pss, pss" as the wheel spun and the only thing we could find was a sorta sharp stick floating in the hole, trust me we dug all around to prevent that happening to someone else. IT was a blunt appearing puncture didn't seem to be something sharp so I suppose that's what did it. I have been reading about BFG MT KM2 and I don't think that's for me because I don't wheel enough for it to be a tire of choice. I drive my jeep maybe 10% off road 90% on road.

I was very interested in the new GoodYear Wrangler tires because they are now partnered with Dupont Kevlar and after reading reviews many people say for the size of the tire it handles much better than softer tires without the heavier duty sidewalls and wider steel belts.

I am pretty dead set on the GoodYear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure tire for 3 reasons.
1. Harder tread based on reviews I've read (my current wranglers are so soft I can move the knobs with my pinkie when new)
2. 60,000 mile warranty (This is great because if I pop a tire or shred one what have you, it's replaced and I only have to buy a new certificate.
3. Good Snow traction based on reviews. I'm in MI so we have really long hard winters and after last year I really want to have some good tires for snow traction.

I love this forum because all the people willing to put their opinions in and give advice based on their experiences, thanks guys.

I'll update the thread after I get my new tires and show a before & after.
Unread 07-15-2014, 06:57 AM   #6
Copenhunter
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Kevlar sidewalls are definitely the way to go! When you get them on get some pics up!
Copenhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
Beards
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've got Cooped Discoverer AT3's and I love them. The treadlife is insanely high and they grip well enough for me (I'm certainly not a hardcore off-roader).
Beards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Great treadlife and good snowgrip don't go hand-in-hand. You need soft tread compound and as much siping as possible for good snowgrip on packed snow or ice. No MT is going to provide that, but they do work on deep stuff.

You did not specify which GY Wrangler you had, there are a few different ones available. Icve heard nothing but good about GY Wrangler Duratrac for all- around use - and they are great on snow for a non-dedicated snow/winter tire. I've heard some complaints about their sidewalls, but they shouldn't be any worse than BFG MTs.

Duratrac is a bit more aggressive AT, so it can handle mud and soft stuff a better than most ATs, without being at all uncomfortable on the road. That may be an option for you as well..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Great treadlife and good snowgrip don't go hand-in-hand. You need soft tread compound and as much siping as possible for good snowgrip on packed snow or ice. No MT is going to provide that, but they do work on deep stuff.

You did not specify which GY Wrangler you had, there are a few different ones available. Icve heard nothing but good about GY Wrangler Duratrac for all- around use - and they are great on snow for a non-dedicated snow/winter tire. I've heard some complaints about their sidewalls, but they shouldn't be any worse than BFG MTs.

Duratrac is a bit more aggressive AT, so it can handle mud and soft stuff a better than most ATs, without being at all uncomfortable on the road. That may be an option for you as well..
Yes I do understand that good snow tires are extremely soft rubber to help not clog up with snow and evacuate ice and snow from the tire. I am going to get 31 duratracs, leaving now. Thanks for your final recommendation. I will have a 50,000 mile warranty on the tire in case any damage occurs to the side wall etc.
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Timo 90XJ I have to thank you the most for recommending the DuraTrac because I absolutely love these tires, extremely quiet and already tell a difference in handling and it raised my jeep up a noticable amount. I have no rubbing other than 1 spot, the little lip behind the driver side flare that im going to hammer in, other than that, It's perfect!

Here are some pictures for comparison, don't feel bad if you laugh, I know I did.

By the way, the total cost was $502 with warranty certificate, mount & balance. Original price would have been ~$920 but since my old tires were just replaced and I wasn't satisfied they gave me a full reimbursement and mounted & balanced the tires for free. I'm very pleased with DiscountTire and recommend anyone to go there if you have one near you.
Unread 07-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
jeepjunkie97

Not to steal this thread but does anyone have experience with dick cepek mud country's in 31's?
jeepjunkie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
TylerU
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Don't know if you are still dead set on 31s.

But here's mine on 32. Wish I've gone bigger.
image-1108676486.jpg

TylerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #13
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerU View Post
Don't know if you are still dead set on 31s.

But here's mine on 32. Wish I've gone bigger.
I already got 31s and due to my jeep being a DD I didn't want to go higher than 31 with only a "3 inch lift" which is really only around 2.2 inches lift actual with the weight of my jeep. Any bigger than 31s for my mild trail riding and daily driving would have been too much and also $200-300 more which isn't in my budget currently. Your 32s don't seem much if any bigger than 31s in appeal but I'm sure if you threw some 35s it would be a whole nother' story.
Unread 07-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #14
TylerU
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin196

I already got 31s and due to my jeep being a DD I didn't want to go higher than 31 with only a "3 inch lift" which is really only around 2.2 inches lift actual with the weight of my jeep. Any bigger than 31s for my mild trail riding and daily driving would have been too much and also $200-300 more which isn't in my budget currently. Your 32s don't seem much if any bigger than 31s in appeal but I'm sure if you threw some 35s it would be a whole nother' story.
Yeah, kinda regretted I didn't swap on 35s all the way. It's my DD too, but I only drive like 10miles a day. Don't remember where I saw this: tires are like boobs, they all look big until you've played ten for a while.
TylerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #15
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerU View Post
Yeah, kinda regretted I didn't swap on 35s all the way. It's my DD too, but I only drive like 10miles a day. Don't remember where I saw this: tires are like boobs, they all look big until you've played ten for a while.
haha that's a funny analogy. I see you've removed all of your doors, I just posted a writeup on how I did it, did you cut your lower hinges so you can drop in your doors or what? Also what size lift you got on that jeep? Here is a pic of my jeep after I've taken my doors off. Also with 35s you can break your axleshafts and wear out your gears pretty quick I've heard, 37s wheeled hard you will surely break your axleshafts and fry your differential gears.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.