My XJ Project Build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My XJ Project Build.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
JLydon18
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My XJ Project Build.

Back Story
I was given this XJ when I turned 16 and really only drove it around for a couple years. I am now 18 and I want to customize the hell out of it. I'm on a tight budget but I wanna make it look nice. I'll update this thread as quickly as possible. I hope everyone enjoys.

Specs/Tech Info
108k Miles.
Regular Oil Changes.
Recently Replaced VCG.
All mainly stock, going to be adding a lot so I figured why not make a thread?

The Beginning

First to come, 3" rough country lift and new rims ASAP. Looking for XJ Sport rims to replace my ugly *** country ones. I hate them with a passion.

I enjoy stickers.. lol

Will update soon! Might ask for some opinions soon!

Future Upgrades/Changes
-Remove Pinstripe
-Install Lift Kit
-New Rims
-Possible Duraliner/Rhinoliner Exterior/Interior
-Possible Rear Seat Removal
-Possible Trim Removal/Replacement
-Install Rocky Road Super Sliders

Completed Projects
-Installed AutoShade VentVisors http://www.jcwhitney.com/ventvisor-b...d=d1163y1996j1

JLydon18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
JLydon18
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Should I remove the luggage rack on top? I'm undecided..
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
RedRyderXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Buy my stock rims!

Leave the rack. I would also recommend going with a Zone brand lift kit rather than RC. Better quality as a company under BDS suspension and I'm not a big RC fan even though their stuff is on my jeep.

Good project though! I'm 18 and was given my jeep too. Done a 4wd conversion and a bunch of other crap lol. Clean low mileage jeep, I'm subscribed!
RedRyderXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
JLydon18
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRyderXJ View Post
Buy my stock rims!

Leave the rack. I would also recommend going with a Zone brand lift kit rather than RC. Better quality as a company under BDS suspension and I'm not a big RC fan even though their stuff is on my jeep.

Good project though! I'm 18 and was given my jeep too. Done a 4wd conversion and a bunch of other crap lol. Clean low mileage jeep, I'm subscribed!
Glad to hear it! PM me about those rims? lol
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
JLydon18
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just added some Autoshade Ventvisors..

Still trying to get my plans for a lift ironed out.. I have a lot of input and different ideas. Just found out I need to replace my Transmission Lines and my oil gauge in my dash stopped working. So I have to diagnose that problem as well.
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Goodluck. I was in a similar situation. ACtually I still kind of am. Im 21 and on a college budget. But leme know if you got any questions.

As you posted in your other thread, I would recommend skipping the 2" lift and go straight to 3" with full packs. Check out Zone. You'll need more things such as an alignment and other components but its worth it to do it right the first time
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
JLydon18
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXJ91 View Post
Goodluck. I was in a similar situation. ACtually I still kind of am. Im 21 and on a college budget. But leme know if you got any questions.

As you posted in your other thread, I would recommend skipping the 2" lift and go straight to 3" with full packs. Check out Zone. You'll need more things such as an alignment and other components but its worth it to do it right the first time
I'm kind of new to all of this.. what all would I need to install a 3" lift? Also, is this the kit you were referring to? http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=34&gr=-1
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
RedRyderXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLydon18

I'm kind of new to all of this.. what all would I need to install a 3" lift? Also, is this the kit you were referring to? http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=34&gr=-1
Yep I just recommend full leaf packs and a new track bar. If you can swing it, get new lower control arms as well. Lift install is very straight forward.
Unread 04-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah Im going to have to agree with NJXJ91. Don't cheap out and get a budget boost, go for a straight kit with full packs. It might cost more but you'll be more pleased with it in the end. I went with RC when I got my lift. They aren't bad for a starter kit but expect to replace a lot of the components later on. I've heard good things about zone though have never personally experienced their products. All in all nice clean XJ, should turn out great!

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
JLydon18
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93 View Post
Yeah Im going to have to agree with NJXJ91. Don't cheap out and get a budget boost, go for a straight kit with full packs. It might cost more but you'll be more pleased with it in the end. I went with RC when I got my lift. They aren't bad for a starter kit but expect to replace a lot of the components later on. I've heard good things about zone though have never personally experienced their products. All in all nice clean XJ, should turn out great!
Thanks for the input man. I'm gonna do my best to do right by her!
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
cheesewhiz98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I know how it sucks every day when you don't mess around with your jeep but consider this. I am 19, I got my jeep stock as a graduation from high school I fixed all the regular bull**** and drove it for a while, got a lift kit, and some more stuff drove it a while and some more stuff and all I wish now is that I saved up my money the first time and went all out with the lift, tires, wheels, protection instead of piecing it all together when I got the money. just food for thought.
cheesewhiz98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
RedRyderXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewhiz98xj
I know how it sucks every day when you don't mess around with your jeep but consider this. I am 19, I got my jeep stock as a graduation from high school I fixed all the regular bull**** and drove it for a while, got a lift kit, and some more stuff drove it a while and some more stuff and all I wish now is that I saved up my money the first time and went all out with the lift, tires, wheels, protection instead of piecing it all together when I got the money. just food for thought.
Nothing wrong with piecing it together as long as you think long term.

Ask yourself, Will I have this on my jeep in two years?
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewhiz98xj View Post
Thats the very reason why I over think almost everything that goes into my Jeep. Not only do I justify the look or usefulness of the part but how well it will go together with other parts I may buy down the road. Yeah it would have probably been cooler to buy it all at once but whats the fun in that?

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #14
JLydon18
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just ordered 4 black handles, going to be removing all of the chrome. Any cost effective black mirror suggestions?
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
rallybro
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLydon18
I just ordered 4 black handles, going to be removing all of the chrome. Any cost effective black mirror suggestions?
Either hit up a junk yard or become friends with some rattle cans. Most older jeeps had black mirrors though.
rallybro is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.