Is my XJ capable for anything serious? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Is my XJ capable for anything serious?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
Beards
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Is my XJ capable for anything serious?

Right now I have a pretty much stock XJ except for like four things: rear sway bar removed, 2" AAL + spacers lift, extended rear brake line, and 31x10.5 Cooper Discoverer AT3s. My 15x8 wheels are also spaced out for an overall backspace of 4.25". Everything else is stock. It's a '96 with open diffs and all that. I've done a lot of maintenance (u-joints, brake lines) as well.

So my question is, is it really worth going to any off-roading events? There's an event called the Bantam Jeep Festival local to me. Some of the trails seem rather serious and I have never been seriously off-roading before (nowhere to go). Here's a link to the event page... http://www.bantamjeepfestival.com/

I've got some time before the event and was thinking about getting front sway bar disconnects, extended lines, and possibly a Dakota bastard pack for the rear and RE 3" springs for the front. I've also been practicing the "feather the brakes to transfer power to both wheels" trick but haven't had any luck yet.

Advise me!

A picture for interest's sake.

Beards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Your XJ was quite capable in stock form, and with your mods it's now even more capable. I wouldn't try to tackle the Rubicon Trail, but you should have no problem doing some mild to moderate offroading. Your next mods should be recovery points, front and rear.

Where in PA are you?

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
miceanic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=Beards;22862377]Right now I have a pretty much stock XJ except for like four things: rear sway bar removed, 2" AAL + spacers lift, extended rear brake line, and 31x10.5 Cooper Discoverer AT3s. My 15x8 wheels are also spaced out for an overall backspace of 4.25". Everything else is stock. It's a '96 with open diffs and all that. I've done a lot of maintenance (u-joints, brake lines) as well.

So my question is, is it really worth going to any off-roading events? There's an event called the Bantam Jeep Festival local to me. Some of the trails seem rather serious and I have never been seriously off-roading before (nowhere to go). Here's a link to the event page... http://www.bantamjeepfestival.com/

I've got some time before the event and was thinking about getting front sway bar disconnects, extended lines, and possibly a Dakota bastard pack for the rear and RE 3" springs for the front. I've also been practicing the "feather the brakes to transfer power to both wheels" trick but haven't had any luck yet.

Advise me!

A picture for interest's sake.

That only works with limited slip differentials, if both of yours are open then you are just burning up your brakes. I would suggest skid plates and at least one locker if you are trying to do anything too extreme. Take a second vehicle with you everywhere and know yours and your vehicles limits and you should be good.
miceanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Join a local 4x4 club, or take a hosted 4x4 tour with trail guides to learn how to safely 4x4 off-road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards View Post
.....been practicing the "feather the brakes to transfer power to both wheels" trick but haven't had any luck yet.
Works with open differentials.

Below is my 2 inch budget boost with 30 x 9.5's in Moab Utah some years ago.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
Beards
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
Your XJ was quite capable in stock form, and with your mods it's now even more capable. I wouldn't try to tackle the Rubicon Trail, but you should have no problem doing some mild to moderate offroading. Your next mods should be recovery points, front and rear.

Where in PA are you?

- Justin
Alright, thanks, man! That's actually a really good idea. I need somewhere to attach chains and tow ropes for sure. I guess I could buy a trailer hitch for the rear and weld some nice big rings to the frame up front.

I'm an hour north or Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Join a local 4x4 club, or take a hosted 4x4 tour with trail guides to learn how to safely 4x4 off-road.
I'll look into local clubs. That would be really helpful. And gosh, you did a lot with that Jeep! Thanks for the pictures!

Any tips on the brake trick?
Unread 05-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Look into a local off-roading club. It's the best route to go. You'll end up going with people familiar with the area and offroading the terrain. You can pick up some rear trailer hitches at junkyards for fairly cheap for a rear recovery point. You could also look online for ideas on how to weld up a bracket worth fabing up for front tow hooks. As welding something right off the unibody would more and likely end up bending or tearing your unibody. Custom4x4 makes some excellent front tow hook brackets. Also if you're planing on doing some quick dissconects for your front sway bar look up on how to press out the lower endlink bolt on the axle. Since I'm stock for now I ended up using 1/2" bolts, wing nuts with lock washers, and a cotter pin in the end to keep things from backing out.

I've been once with a local club. All I did to prepare was get a rear tow hitch and remove my rear sway bar. I made it through quite a bit of medium trails and didn't even feel like I was beating on my Jeep much. It's also not a bad idea to buy some kind of 12v air pump so you can air back up after your all finished up. Also if you have a CB radio, it's good to have so you can communicate with everyone in your group. Good luck

indeepwithajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I was on a 2 inch BB and 235s for quite a while and saw some pretty sweet places! skids should be next on your list though since you dont have the height benefit

College Student in Genetics, Jeeper and musician

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 05:07 AM   #8
1995_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You'll be surprised by the places your jeep will go! Even 100% stock

Join pgh-offroad. They have all kinds of trail rides and meet and greets. It's not 100% jeep, not sure if that matters to you. There are a lot of jeeps though
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
Tru2Chevy

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Alright, thanks, man! That's actually a really good idea. I need somewhere to attach chains and tow ropes for sure. I guess I could buy a trailer hitch for the rear and weld some nice big rings to the frame up front.

I'm an hour north or Pittsburgh.
Skip the chains - you want recovery straps (much safer).

That's a really nice area - I went to college at Slippery Rock in the early 2000s.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
.....weld some nice big rings to the frame up front.
Unibody Jeeps REQUIRE the use of reinforced brackets to prevent tow hooks and/or off road bumpers from pulling loose and injuring somebody.

frame-rail-fail.jpg

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 05-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Have you not seen the movie taken ? :-)

man you can have a blast in a stock xj!!
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have been to bantam jeep fest and am going again with my 98 xj, I have done all the trails there except for the trail where you needed at least 35's for tires (I'm running 33's ) with no problems, I would show up and spend some time go on the easy trails to start and maybe work your way up,they have easy trails for stock jeeps you may find out just how capable your jeep really is. Plus you may get some great ideas for your rig.
Unread 05-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
Beards
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Unibody Jeeps REQUIRE the use of reinforced brackets to prevent tow hooks and/or off road bumpers from pulling loose and injuring somebody.

I would definitely reinforce them. I was actually just planning to weld some plate steel to the frame and build my hooks off of that. However, those ones in the picture look really nice! Who makes those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post

Have you not seen the movie taken ? :-)

man you can have a blast in a stock xj!!
NOPE. Not really a Liam Neeson fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98muddyjeep View Post
I have been to bantam jeep fest and am going again with my 98 xj, I have done all the trails there except for the trail where you needed at least 35's for tires (I'm running 33's ) with no problems, I would show up and spend some time go on the easy trails to start and maybe work your way up,they have easy trails for stock jeeps you may find out just how capable your jeep really is. Plus you may get some great ideas for your rig.
I think I'll do just that. Sounds like a great idea to work my way into things.

Thanks a lot, guys!
Unread 05-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I was actually just planning to weld some plate steel to the frame and build my hooks off of that. However, those ones in the picture look really nice! Who makes those?
Genuine Jeep parts.

I see them now and then in the junkyard, and if you search around you can still buy them if the Dealership has some dusty ones on the way back shelves.

Unread 05-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #15
Beards
1996 XJ Cherokee 

No way! Well those would be perfect. I'll get hunting then. Thanks, man!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.