My XJ Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My XJ Build Thread

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 02-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
aero3685

My XJ Build Thread

I picked this up for pretty cheap, and am looking to get it back on the road as cheap as possible. This looks like a pretty good forum for responses and information. I am new to Jeeps, previously played with Accords, S2000's, a few bikes, and have a 4runner as a DD (2wd... which is the reason for this).

It needed some TLC, but hopefully wont take too long to get it on the road.

This is what it looked like a year ago, it was wrecked and then sat...
Pre-incident:

This is how I picked it up... it hit a pole
Post-incident:

Basically its all cosmetic other than the lower control arm mount on the front axle being bent a little bit. It didnt do any bending on the body end, just the axle itself.

D30 front axle
C8.25 rear with Limited slip and 3.73 gears
8" long arm skyjacker lift
35's

aero3685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
aero3685

Dang.. didnt think I could post actual pics, guess links will have to do.

So far I have torn out the interior (chucked the carpet) and put some bedliner down. I cleaned up the interior panels, and got them back in.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...5/DSCI0013.jpg

I drilled out the welds on the fender (thankfully it was just the front corner part, and didnt do damage past it).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...5/DSCI0021.jpg

And grabbed some flares from an older XJ to throw on for now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...5/DSCI0018.jpg

I am going to get the fender/inner fender/hood from the junkyard this weekend, but still looking for the whole header panel part. Hoping that I can find a 97+ header panel that is good on the drivers side, and I can just put it back together... but no luck so far. The one I have is busted up (grill part is fine...). If not, i'll just have to buy a new one
Unread 02-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero3685 View Post
Dang.. didnt think I could post actual pics, guess links will have to do.

So far I have torn out the interior (chucked the carpet) and put some bedliner down. I cleaned up the interior panels, and got them back in.

I drilled out the welds on the fender (thankfully it was just the front corner part, and didnt do damage past it).

And grabbed some flares from an older XJ to throw on for now.

I am going to get the fender/inner fender/hood from the junkyard this weekend, but still looking for the whole header panel part. Hoping that I can find a 97+ header panel that is good on the drivers side, and I can just put it back together... but no luck so far. The one I have is busted up (grill part is fine...). If not, i'll just have to buy a new one

Here ya go...
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
broncofire75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero3685 View Post
I picked this up for pretty cheap, and am looking to get it back on the road as cheap as possible. This looks like a pretty good forum for responses and information. I am new to Jeeps, previously played with Accords, S2000's, a few bikes, and have a 4runner as a DD (2wd... which is the reason for this).

It needed some TLC, but hopefully wont take too long to get it on the road.

This is what it looked like a year ago, it was wrecked and then sat...
Pre-incident:

This is how I picked it up... it hit a pole
Post-incident:

Basically its all cosmetic other than the lower control arm mount on the front axle being bent a little bit. It didnt do any bending on the body end, just the axle itself.

D30 front axle
C8.25 rear with Limited slip and 3.73 gears
8" long arm skyjacker lift
35's

no clicky...
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
Unread 02-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
aero3685

Thanks a bunch... a bit easier than clicking.
Unread 02-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
CherokeeGT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

those tires have anything to do with the accident? yikes man

iam diggin the colour and would love to see that thing come back to life
CherokeeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
aero3685

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeGT View Post
those tires have anything to do with the accident? yikes man

iam diggin the colour and would love to see that thing come back to life
I am guessing they probably did. Supposedly, he got 'bumped' by a friend, and he slid off the road. And the reason that tire was on there was because he got it used after he got a puncture in the sidewall of the other one that was on there. Needless to say, I need to find another set of tires before I take this thing out on the road.

Thanks... even though it is Purple, it looks pretty good. The paint is in good condition other than a lot of scrapes that you can see in the sun (from all the tree branches and whatnot from trailing it).

Hopefully this weekend I can at least get the inner fender on, and maybe a hood. Having trouble locating a newer model fender.... oh how I wish I could find one in this color.
Unread 02-10-2009, 06:21 AM   #8
aero3685

Here are a few updated pictures.

I pretty much have all the body parts on the way, just missing a headlight. Hopefully it'll be sitting pretty soon!

Unread 02-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
keaton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin better already man. Good find.
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice, keep it going
Unread 02-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
91xjgawes

looking good buddy

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

1998 zj 5.2- 245/75's moabs
91xjgawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 05:39 AM   #12
aero3685

I got a bit more done, as you can see I used an earlier fender... so its not perfect, but who cares! Corner/turn signals, not sure if I'll leave them clear or paint them amber. Need a few more things (upgraded LCA axle mounts), power steering box, and the headlight, and she should be ready to run. Probably going to wait on paint until I make sure all the other bugs are worked out.

As usual, I have spent a little more than I wanted to... but I guess what can ya do!

Unread 03-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
aero3685

The progress has been a bit slow this past week.

I painted the clear corner/turn signals that I got to amber... didnt really like the look of clear.

Dropped the front axle so I can cut off the LCA mounts and weld the new stronger ones on. Cutoff wheel doesnt want to get close enough, so I am borrowing a cutting torch tomorrow to git'r done. Then hopefully I can get that finished and put back on sometime next week. After the axle gets installed, it'll be onto the finishing touches.

I also took off and painted the suspension parts that were red to black. The springs will still be red, but everything else will be black.

Plans after it gets put back together are new tires, the doorless mod, and a front tow hook... then sling some mud!

Unread 03-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
sanrico
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nice! Man, when that bad boy is resurrected, you are going to be so proud!
sanrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #15
aero3685

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrico View Post
Nice! Man, when that bad boy is resurrected, you are going to be so proud!
yup, just getting anxious.

And wanting to start on other projects for it... but I dont want to start anything else until this is complete.

Although i may have to fab up a front hook so at least there is somewhere to pull from when i go break it in.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.