Is my xj baby safe? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Is my xj baby safe?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
XJcaveman
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats.

My son is going on 2.5 years old. I've had a xj (well 2 of them) and my only bag on the XJ is the lack of interior height. It's a pain getting him in and out. I had a ZJ (before) him and wish I had it back. WJ is coming together slowly though.

Unread 09-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

You will be fine, do not fall into being one of those over protective parents,most of us older folks grew up in cars with NO car seats,I remember riding in the folks olds cutlass Vista cruser in the rear facing fold down seat (not very safe for rear end collisions) and my dad had an old ford van that was empty in the back we used to love to ride in ( yep no seats no seat belts) and after the Vista cruser my mom moved us to a gremlin done even get me started on that one,oh my how did we survive as kids. Also my wife never had a problem getting my daughter plus car seat into the back seat,sure it was a pain at first but you ill third it out Plus they out grow seats faster than you can buy new ones.
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like the root of the question is if its practical/safe to cart a new born around in a modded up xj

for me
My daughter came home in a lifted Yukon with the load exhaust and all the trimmings (it was only a couple years old; so it had age on its side but it definitely wasn't in 'stock trim' so to speak); 2nd week at home in -30 degree weather it took a crap on the side of the road on the way to the kids first doctors appt. The programmer failed

Needless to say, the wife got a new denali before the next dr's apt and I didn't fiddle with that one at all

that was my experience
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
Bubba46
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Great discussion here. Good points about the ergonomics (for you and the wife – just make sure she tries it before getting too pregnant), dealership installing anchors, lack of headrests, and armor causing greater forces on the passengers instead of the XJ absorbing some of the impact.

You'll find your comfort level and find the right balance. What you consider reasonable, others may think as overprotective - don't let that affect your decisions. Don't be surprised if it changes over time and from one kid to the next. You're already seeking advice from others - that's awesome! Chew on it and keep what works for you.

You know what you can afford with the resources you have, you know where the weaknesses are, are thinking through the hazards, and will mitigate the risks to keep your kid safe and wife happy.

I wish I had pictures of my wife during the club meet and greet climbing in the passenger’s seat using the folding step-stool while in her third trimester.

'06 WK Limited 4.7 V-8 w/ QD-II, 245/70R17 Revos II
Bubba46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #20
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A stock XJ might be better rollover-wise than a lifted one, but an XJ can be a great kid hauler. I rode home from the hospital in a 1987 XJ, and so did my younger sister. Just be sure to use the proper child seat that fits the kid well, and put it in the middle seat.

My freshman year of college I was approaching a stop sign right off campus in my previous XJ, a pristine stock 2000 with 78k miles. Before I even got to the stop sign a lady in a volvo T-boned my driver side door doing about 50 mph. Apparently she was going too fast and lost control. The impact pushed my Jeep about 10 feet, and I was hit hard enough that the gas tank door flipped open. My laptop also went from behind the passenger seat to behind the driver seat and had a large crack in the case. I pried the driver's door open and walked away with a concussion, but not a scratch. The unibody was tweaked and the Jeep was totaled. I went out and bought another XJ after that.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
exador
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Cars are designed to crush on impact so that the car takes the force instead of whoever is inside. Your bumper make do more appearance damage to another vehicle in an accident but you're going to take all the force that your car didn't which isn't what you want for a baby.
Side impact on civics are bad, not to mention your sitting eye level with taller vehicles bumpers. It does no good absorbing impact if the other vehicle ends up in your lap.

In a slow head on collision, assuming the baby is strapped in good in a rear facing seat. the difference in the force shouldn't matter too much.
Yes the honda i had was designed to fold up on front impact, but at 5mph it was bad enough for insurance to total it. I was going so slow that the motor cut off before i hit because i never took it out of second gear or put in clutch.

However at a highway speed I would prefer the vehicle that didn't crumple up.
This one for example, the people in the truck were not seriously injured. The guy driving the civic was lucky to survive that and needed physical therapy afterwards.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phil...scue_squa.html
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #22
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Cars are designed to crush on impact so that the car takes the force instead of whoever is inside. Your bumper make do more appearance damage to another vehicle in an accident but you're going to take all the force that your car didn't which isn't what you want for a baby.
Bingo!

Now ive been in a wreck, in a stock 01, that totaled 2 cars.. the one that hit me, and the one I have been pushed into. Fairly straight forward... the XJ's hitch took all the force. Bent the unibody and spring hangers up, drove like crap, but still got home OK. The other 2, well, the civic who hit me, that guy went out in a stretcher. He was high and not wearing a seatbelt. It wasnt pretty. The other family was in a newer Nissan sedan, very young girl in the back. She was shaken, but OK. The car crumpled.

remember that guys.. the vehicle sacrifices itself to protect you. This is one of the reasons people get suspension seats... so the impact on the vehicle does not hurt their back.

Now on a side impact... XJs are pretty weak. Ive seen wrecked ones that were t-boned, and would expect broken arms and legs. Ive seen pictures of one that was t-boned at 40, but had rocker guards and a 3" lift... that one took the force directly into the rocker bar... and not the door.

Edit:

Congrats BTW! We brought home our first 4 weeks ago. The car seat stays in mom's XJ, which will have at most a very mild lift to accommodate slightly larger tires. The carseat could fit in my white XJ... but I would be too worried about those things right now. When she is older, its different, and I will probably have a cage and other measures in the vehicle too... and we will be going to trails.

Oh, and you will drive a tad differently. Your outlook on a lot of things will change. It is pretty cool.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.