My wife hates me - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My wife hates me

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
snakeeyes237
2010 JK Wrangler 

My wife hates me

She insists that I sell my XJ and my motorcycle. I'm willing to lose the bike, but not the jeep. She doesn't believe me that I'll only get maybe 400 for the jeep. It's got a bent frame rail, about 15 holes in the floor from rust and primer spots all over it. Why don't women understand the sentimental value of a vehicle?

snakeeyes237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
xxxflhrci

I'd get rid of the wife.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

haha ^^ dude seriously though that sux.. i doubt i'm ever selling my jeep. hope everything turns out well for you though
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Hotrod97z
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Offer a compromise. Tell her that a healthy relationship is based on give and take and that you value your relationship with her. Tell her you want her to be happy and if your getting rid of the XJ will make her happy that you are willing to compromise. Remind her that a compromise requires give and take from both parties. Tell her you will give up the XJ for a JK Rubicon. That way she's happy that the XJ is gone, and you still have a Jeep!

'03 TJ
Hotrod97z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
jshaab2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i agree with hotrod97z
Unread 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
TwistedcaB-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

i'd rather have the XJ than a JK unless you HAVE to get rid of it then a jeeps a jeep
TwistedcaB- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
xj964
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I'd get rid of the wife.
x2 haha The XJ goes nowhere until it dies and won't go again
xj964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
littleblackXj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Give Dr. Phil a call. He'll hook you up.
30/44 4.88s Disks all around
Rear Detroit/Open front
littleblackXj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
SkyChi
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeyes237 View Post
She insists that I sell my XJ and my motorcycle. I'm willing to lose the bike, but not the jeep. She doesn't believe me that I'll only get maybe 400 for the jeep. It's got a bent frame rail, about 15 holes in the floor from rust and primer spots all over it. Why don't women understand the sentimental value of a vehicle?

I'm curious why all of a sudden your toys have to go? What did you do?
Unread 08-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
snakeeyes237
2010 JK Wrangler 

She thinks I should put ALL extra money into paying down debt. I considered selling them to get a newer XJ, but being stationed overseas makes my choices EXTREMELY limited. I tried compromising. My wife is as stubborn as me, so it's not working as well as I'd like. I think if I cut the roof up nobody will want to buy it
snakeeyes237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
Hotrod97z
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My wife and I just got out of debt and its a long hard road. You have to remember that you are still living even though you're trying to get out of debt. That means you can still have a little enjoyment in your life. If the XJ is costing tons of cash that's one thing, but if its paid for it isn't costing a thing sitting in the driveway. You'll never be able to replace it for what you'll get for it, so its not a wise financial decision to sell it. This is an item that brings you a lot of personal satisfaction at little to no cost. To sell it is to lessen your quality of life now and add more expense later to replace it. Being debt free is an awesome goal to have, but let's keep it in perspective. It is an endurance race, not a sprint. Stick to your guns and make the XJ "off limits". How much are you REALLY going to pay off with $400 anyway?

What endulgences is she keeping? Clothes, shoes, jewelry? EVERY woman has something that she endulges in that she's not willing to give up.

'03 TJ
Unread 08-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Hotrod97z
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The motivation behind her tenacity may be fear. She may just be afraid that you guys could have some serious financial trouble and that getting out of debt would make you more secure. Women are all about security and we men don't generally worry too much about. For my wife, being out of debt has made her feel MUCH more secure, both with our finances and our marriage. Believe me, we had talks like yours a BUNCH of times while we were getting out of debt. If your wife is just looking for the security, just reassure her that you guys WILL be out of debt, but it takes time and you don't need to make bad decisions based on fear. Reassure her that you have things under control and that you're going to make it. Conversations like that will do wonders for your peaceful time at home and your toy budget.

'03 TJ
Unread 08-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
jebmccall
1997 XJ Cherokee 

the jeep get sold ha, any woman told me that unless married would be goin. i think id have to make a compromise, or go live in the jeep for a couple of days, until she realised that my jeep is a part of the family.

best of luck to yeah man gettin out of debt
jebmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #14
oldmanriver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Tell her that good hair for wigs is fetching a fair price, perhaps she could help relieve a little debt too?

Seriously though, hold on to what you can while you can brother, you never know what could happen. A good friend of mine sold his '69 camaro because his fiance wanted to settle down. He did, because she was "the love of his life, he would do anything for her". Two weeks later, they broke up...

Good luck with whatever you do

'90 xj: Wrecked, waiting for the day it can become a full blown trail rig.

'00 wj SOLD (still in family)
oldmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
Zembonez
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Take her to your closet and show her the pants... YOUR PANTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Cadillac
Canada has 4 seasons...Almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction
Zembonez is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.