My New install x2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My New install x2

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-04-2009, 03:31 AM   #1
AdidasCJ

My New install x2

Ok so today i put a new (old) head unit into the jeep. Got it all installed and wokrkng!

I also had this idea of having some extra light in "cargo" area of the Cherokee...

So i was staring at my rear hatch and decided that some extra lights would looks good and be useful say when out camping etc!

So while at auto zone i picked up some lights, (white) and went to town on the project! Here are some pictures!

Testing it out...

Were roughed in...

Extra light, all the light you see inside the jeep is from the added lights, i have no dome lights right now... And there is alot more light then the pic does it justice...

And the completed set up with a switch! It is hard wired into come on anytime i flip the switch. Also i pluged the switch into a hole that was already back there... so no cutting required!

Whatca think?

AdidasCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasCJ View Post
Ok so today i put a new (old) head unit into the jeep. Got it all installed and wokrkng!

I also had this idea of having some extra light in "cargo" area of the Cherokee...

So i was staring at my rear hatch and decided that some extra lights would looks good and be useful say when out camping etc!

So while at auto zone i picked up some lights, (white) and went to town on the project! Here are some pictures!

Testing it out...

Were roughed in...

Extra light, all the light you see inside the jeep is from the added lights, i have no dome lights right now... And there is alot more light then the pic does it justice...

And the completed set up with a switch! It is hard wired into come on anytime i flip the switch. Also i pluged the switch into a hole that was already back there... so no cutting required!

Whatca think?
Click Free

I think ya need to get that windshield fixed!
not a bad idea, just not somethin I would have done. Those are going to have the tendency to get really hot if left on for a long time. I would have done something with white LED's IN the cargo area
98CherokeeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It's funny, I just bought 4 of those same lights, and they might find a home on my roof...
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
AdidasCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98CherokeeLTD View Post
Click Free

I think ya need to get that windshield fixed!
not a bad idea, just not somethin I would have done. Those are going to have the tendency to get really hot if left on for a long time. I would have done something with white LED's IN the cargo area

Yea i know, the windsheild is on the list... just isnt toward the top and i have these on for about a half hour after i got them installed, just making sure no wires get hot, the switch gets hot, etc. They seem to stay pritty cool, the light itself gets a little hot, nothing that i think would cause for concern tho...
Unread 07-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasCJ View Post
Yea i know, the windsheild is on the list... just isnt toward the top and i have these on for about a half hour after i got them installed, just making sure no wires get hot, the switch gets hot, etc. They seem to stay pritty cool, the light itself gets a little hot, nothing that i think would cause for concern tho...
Another thing that I would pay attention to is battery drain. If you're running those without the Jeep runnin, it may drain the battery. That's another benefit to the LED's LOW DRAW. I know that they make "fog lights" that are LED. I went on ebay and got a boat load of LED's that I can wire up any way I want. I was thinking about doing some kind of cargo lighting, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Just wondering though, how did you run the wires into the liftgate? I am going to wire in a 3rd brake light (cause 92's didnt have the 3rd) and was looking for the easiest route in. I'm guessing that the best way would be where the rest of the wires come into the liftgate...at the top through the rubber boot.
Unread 07-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
AdidasCJ

Quote:
Another thing that I would pay attention to is battery drain. If you're running those without the Jeep runnin, it may drain the battery. That's another benefit to the LED's LOW DRAW. I know that they make "fog lights" that are LED. I went on ebay and got a boat load of LED's that I can wire up any way I want. I was thinking about doing some kind of cargo lighting, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Just wondering though, how did you run the wires into the liftgate? I am going to wire in a 3rd brake light (cause 92's didnt have the 3rd) and was looking for the easiest route in. I'm guessing that the best way would be where the rest of the wires come into the liftgate...at the top through the rubber boot.

i used this little wire snake i had around the house, fed it through from the inside to the gate, going through were the rest of the wires go into the hath at, little bit of a pain in the ***, but, just take your time and you will get it. I made a small cut in the wire wrap on the inside to feed the line through. Just take your time and you will get it down to the bottom!
Unread 07-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
AdidasCJ

Here is a day time picture

Were im thinking of putting my CB

And hmmmmm how about an on board air tank.... kinda big...

Unread 07-05-2009, 01:11 AM   #8
AdidasCJ

Also before i called it a day i decided were i wanted to put my switches. 4 for now. i figure, 1 for bumper lights, 2 for roof mounted and 1 for a rear roof mounted set... If i need more, i will find another place for it.

Unread 07-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

this is what I did for my switches....1 for the bumper lights, 2 for the 4 roof lights and the other is for the rear facing lights
I used to have my switches in the same spot as you have yours, but decided to make a better panel and put em down low.

Unread 07-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
AdidasCJ

Quote:
this is what I did for my switches....1 for the bumper lights, 2 for the 4 roof lights and the other is for the rear facing lights
I used to have my switches in the same spot as you have yours, but decided to make a better panel and put em down low.

Thats were i was looking at to put them as well. You take just a peice of plexi0glass? thats what it looks like.. I like it tho with the led lights too
Unread 07-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

yea, smoked plexi, some 50 Amp switches, a few LED's and some of my time, and that's what I came out with. This pic was before I had all the wires ran through a hole I drilled in that little space.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.