My hardtop/softop XJ build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My hardtop/softop XJ build

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #76
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

No progress on the hard top today but I got a lot done on the floors. The floors will definatly be done by next weekend, which is when I hope to make "the big cut"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #77
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
Oh, and what opinions do you guys have on this roof rack is going to have to be intergrated around the open top. Loose the moonvisor?

Moonvisor looks good and you don't seem em on XJs often. Not liking the rack, well the front of it anyway.
Unread 04-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #78
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am also looking forward to this - this is the most interesting roof mod since the VW camper top - it must be a NY thing to hack open your roof. Matches the floors of most rust belt XJ's I guess.

re: Roof Rack

Looks like a headboard from a kids bedroom set. I'm just sayin'
I prefer a smaller stock type of roof rack look and square seems to be most common.
If you are just wanting to be different, I believe that roof rack achieves it.

Now that spring is really here, finish the floors and let's see some grinder sparks flying up top too.
Unread 04-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #79
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

[quote=rugsucka;11292740]I am also looking forward to this - this is the most interesting roof mod since the VW camper top - it must be a NY thing to hack open your roof. Matches the floors of most rust belt XJ's I guess.

re: Roof Rack

Looks like a headboard from a kids bedroom set. I'm just sayin'
I prefer a smaller stock type of roof rack look and square seems to be most common.
If you are just wanting to be different, I believe that roof rack achieves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
Now that spring is really here, finish the floors and let's see some grinder sparks flying up top too.
I'm actually going to use a circular saw to cut the roof so there is NO sparks. Last thing I want to do is spray more hot metal around in there.

Lowes sells a special blade that I will use in that Rigid I bought pictured on page 5
Quote:
Unread 04-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #80
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I like projects that give me the excuse to buy more tools too. I'm using axle ujoints as an excuse to buy a 3/4" breaker bar and at least a 36mm impact socket - maybe a whole set of big ol' sockets.

Your neighbours are likely used to seeing you work on your jeep, but kneeling on the roof with a skil-saw will probably top your other mods. You should get someone to take some pics and video you in action - it would make a good "it's a jeep thing" motivational.
Unread 04-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #81
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
Your neighbours are likely used to seeing you work on your jeep, but kneeling on the roof with a skil-saw will probably top your other mods. You should get someone to take some pics and video you in action - it would make a good "it's a jeep thing" motivational.
Haha I definitely should get some in action shots! If I get all the sheetmetal down tomoorow I think I'll finish mapping out the roof in sharpie

I know the length and width and the XYZ of where I'll place the thing but some VERY special cuts need to be made in the corners. I've drawn out many diagrams so I now know the perfect trims that need to be made
Quote:
Unread 04-03-2011, 01:57 AM   #82
toyotaguy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I just noticed this thread, and was skeptical when I saw it, but now I'm psyched! That's a really cool idea, I'm excited to see how it works out. My first thought was "why is he using plywood instead of sheet metal?" But after thinking about it I'm starting to see the merits of plywood. You're a braver man than I to be cutting up your roof, I'm sure it'll turn out great though, and I'll be jealous this summer when you're cruising around with the top off and I'm not! Good luck!
toyotaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #83
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaguy View Post
I just noticed this thread, and was skeptical when I saw it, but now I'm psyched! That's a really cool idea, I'm excited to see how it works out. My first thought was "why is he using plywood instead of sheet metal?" But after thinking about it I'm starting to see the merits of plywood. You're a braver man than I to be cutting up your roof, I'm sure it'll turn out great though, and I'll be jealous this summer when you're cruising around with the top off and I'm not! Good luck!
I appriciate the kind words.

And to all that are still watching, I'm going to cut the roof this weekend, whether i'm ready for it or not. The floor still isnt done and my steering collum got ruined but im just going to pick up my sack and swing it even harder.
Quote:
Unread 04-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #84
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

good.... I can't wait to see some progress... especially a big gaping hole in that roof
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #85
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cut! Cut! Cut!
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #86
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

dude keep the rack the same as long as you stuff the front loop with lights it will look BA, other wise its iffy

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #87
tbeaton

can't wait to see how this goes. i was just thinkign about this, saw it in jp magazine last night.
tbeaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #88
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeaton View Post
can't wait to see how this goes. i was just thinkign about this, saw it in jp magazine last night.
I better get some compensation for it being in JP .

Anyways, im having a **** load of trouble with my broken steering column. I HAVE to figur out a solution by tomorrow AND have the floors done
Quote:
Unread 04-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #89
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

hows your column broken?

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #90
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

cut that *****!

look what I found on youtube....I watched every video,from tips and tricks part one, all the way to this one. the 4 door looked so familiar, but when I saw this one I was like "Holy ***** its hussler!"

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.