My hardtop/softop XJ build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My hardtop/softop XJ build

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #46
tweekedknee

if you're glassing any ways, any thoughts on using foam for a core instead of ply wood?

3" rustys full pack, Rock Krawler tracbar, 31x10.5 Kumho kl71, CIK, dynomax super turbo muffler, IPF h4 conversions, silverstar bulbs, hella 530 fogs, olympic 4x4 rock front bumper, tcase drop, bush hacker flares, OEM tow hook brackets with GM hooks
tweekedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #47
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweekedknee View Post
if you're glassing any ways, any thoughts on using foam for a core instead of ply wood?
What kinda foam? Like the stuff they blast into boat hulls?

Intrigued
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #48
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

have you thought about making a interior cage and have the roof hinges mount to that? you will likely need to build a frame around the hole and attach the frame to the interior cage as I think that the factory roof, once cut, will be very weak. I am thinking that once you put pressure on the latch system, the mating surface where the jeep roof and the removable roof meet will likely buckle with the pressure, not giving you a good seal. Another idea is to have a lip at the front most edge that overlaps the removable roof to act as a wind buffer at speed. This would make installing it a bit more tricky, but I think that w/o it, it may have a nasty wind leak. Just some insight. Take it for what it's worth. Cool idea. Subscribed ! ! !
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #49
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraisavr View Post
have you thought about making a interior cage and have the roof hinges mount to that?
I'd love to make a cage but the more I think about it the more "slippery slope" it becomes. Ya know, you start thinking about upgrading to 35"s and some how that idea turns into 37"s on MOGs? I just have to know when to say when.

Quote:
you will likely need to build a frame around the hole and attach the frame to the interior cage as I think that the factory roof, once cut, will be very weak. I am thinking that once you put pressure on the latch system, the mating surface where the jeep roof and the removable roof meet will likely buckle with the pressure, not giving you a good seal.
I'm not sure if I explained it completely but the roof will be welded to the stock channel going around the upper seam. It will be pretty rigid, and load bearing for once in its life! (the stock cross members arent even attached to the unibody structure, just the roof!)

Quote:
Another idea is to have a lip at the front most edge that overlaps the removable roof to act as a wind buffer at speed. This would make installing it a bit more tricky, but I think that w/o it, it may have a nasty wind leak. Just some insight. Take it for what it's worth. Cool idea. Subscribed ! ! !
I like the way you think, because I already thought of that Unfortunately I havent found a Ventvisor product that I could rig up to work, Im sure I could fab something up. IDK I have bigger fish to fry. But thanks for the insight!!!
Quote:
Unread 03-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #50
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, in the future if you are going to start a project like this you need to shoot me a PM. I'm not on here as much as I used to be, so I don't just lurk. The only threads I usually check out are ones I'm already subscribed too or something specific I'm searching for. I just happened to see a post of yours with this link in your sig. GET TO WORK on this! I can't wait to see what you come up with. I am getting ready to spend a year in Afghanistan and I have TONS of plans for the HEEP when I get back. I might have to consider something like this when I'm designing the cage.
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #51
tweekedknee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
What kinda foam? Like the stuff they blast into boat hulls?

Intrigued
Depends on the resin system you end up using. But i believe if you go with some west system from resin from west marine you can definitely use a polyurethane foam. I'll try to dig up some places you can get it from. Same idea as a surfboard in the long run though

edit: just noticed i need to to change my sig. no longer in the XJ club hah
3" rustys full pack, Rock Krawler tracbar, 31x10.5 Kumho kl71, CIK, dynomax super turbo muffler, IPF h4 conversions, silverstar bulbs, hella 530 fogs, olympic 4x4 rock front bumper, tcase drop, bush hacker flares, OEM tow hook brackets with GM hooks
Unread 03-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #52
tweekedknee

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=50957&familyName=Core-Cell+A500+Plain+Foam+Sheets

May be a little pricey for what your trying to do. I think i remember in one of my jobs some where along the way some one used some of that blue of pink wall insulation foam for a core. If you go that route you may want to do a test piece to make sure the resin wont eat the foam.
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #53
jeepxjadam
1999 XJ Cherokee 

any progress? im excited to see this
Warn t-case skid, M.O.R.E steering box brace, D-Windows, 33x10.5 KM2's
cut and folded rear, flare relocation up front
jeepxjadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #54
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepxjadam View Post
any progress? im excited to see this
Yeah its kinda slowed since its 20 ****ing degrees outside

I have some pics to post up, just been kinda lazy, i'll put something up tonight
Quote:
Unread 03-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #55
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Oh, and the MoonVisor will probably have to go PM if your interested.

Might be able to work it into the project but IDK
Quote:
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #56
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
Yeah its kinda slowed since its 20 ****ing degrees outside

I have some pics to post up, just been kinda lazy, i'll put something up tonight
dang, it was 93 degrees here in pensacola today haha

Im excited to see progress.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #57
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

only going to be 43 degrees here in NC tomorrow. My kids are getting really irritated. It was rainiy and cold all weekend. My 7 year old daughter commented a few times today... "It is SUPPOSED to be SPU-RING"
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #58
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
only going to be 43 degrees here in NC tomorrow. My kids are getting really irritated. It was rainiy and cold all weekend. My 7 year old daughter commented a few times today... "It is SUPPOSED to be SPU-RING"
man thats lame. I would go crazy!

its windows down, beads of sweat dripping off your nose, while you work on the jeep weather here.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #59
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
I could work in 43 degrees, 20 still numbs my fingers.

I think im going to gather all my supplies this week then bang it out on the weekend IF its warm enough. frickin new york i tell ya what
Quote:
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #60
bootht99
1990 XJ Cherokee 

what the hell?! it was only 10 degrees here and i was having a blast with the warm weather cleaning up the garage and yard!
PURPLE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #10
bootht99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.