My first xj project, 2000 Sport - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My first xj project, 2000 Sport

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #16
Aquallama
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A solid jeep adventure

Stock Cherokee expedition to NY was a success!
Here is a photo recap of the jeep-related parts of a long weekend spent exploring a friend's private property in lower NY state.

Day 1: Cut access through brush and small trees to jeep camp in the old access road.

Day 2: Bushwhacking a jeep trail through the brush, a recently dry creek bed, and a large overgrown field.

And the 1996 with saggy springs got stuck... dug out with a shovel and pick axe. The 2000 got through no problem!

After crossing the creek bed we hopped up onto a flat and started navigating through a large field.

It felt like a scene from Jurrasic Park...

From there we carefully jeep-plowed a figure eight loop through the field and packed it down well.

That night we left the jeeps and backpacked across a river to camp on the nearby mountain.

We hope to venture across the shallow river in the future when we have at least one winch among the group.

Aquallama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #17
Aquallama
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Transmission mount replacement, and fluid drain & fill...

Tonight I decided to put on the transmission mount I bought a while back. It's the generic Anchor brand piece, and looks sturdy.
Here is the old one as it came off

And compared to the new one

While the old was still intact, I could squeeze each side by 1/2" with my hand. A bit saggy I'd say.

I also took the time to clean the caked up grime form the crossmember

Fresh black original paint under there.

After putting it all together, I changed the transmission fluid. I had the jeep parked facing uphill, with the front tires on a ramp. Maybe 15-20 degree incline, to help drain the transmission fluid. I got over 3 Liters out, mostly a dark color with a tinge of red. Junky.
I ended up putting almost a full gallon back into it after checking and running around the block.

Results: This jeep want to peel out off of the line! There is a bit of vibration from initial acceleration, but it transfers the power so much better than before. I only put about 5 miles on it before parking again. Tomorrow I will check the fluid levels, and check the mount bolts.

Next up: New shocks, fix the blower motor electrical issues, maybe a junkyard run for new leaf spring shackles and parts for a bastard pack.
I would love to get fog lights and tow hooks to fill the gaps in the front air dam. Likely getting a hitch soon to tow a small pop-up camper.
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
Aquallama
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well this blows...

New parts update!

I have a small pile of parts to put on Leno, and I started with a new blower motor, resistor, and resistor pigtail connector. So, I knew for a long time that the blower motor resistor was bad, and that it was common, blah blah blah.

But when I opened it up, I found the resistor pigtail all nice and melty...

I replaced it with a new pigtail end from rockauto.

Next, I pulled out the resistor to see how cruddy it was...

All that rust and dirt must have shorted a circuit and melted the wires??? I bet this mini pine cone was the culprit!

Ok, so replaced that, and then moved onto the actual blower motor, just because it was probably bad anyway. Old and new, slightly different styles, but both worked.

This is the hole it fit into. I had to remove the vac pump connections in the area, rotate the ac condenser up 90degrees and loosened the wiring harness strap things. A second pair of hands to hold it all out of the way was all I needed to do the swap.

Finally, here is the mess of stuff that was moved.

The sockets were 10mm for the brackets, and 8mm on the motor.
After reassembly I had to recheck by connectors due to an evap sensor code. A minute of resetting all disturbed connections, and I was code-free. All of this took me about 2 hours, but I still need to put the glove box back in. The result is a stock adjustable climate system, not just FULL-BLAST or OFF.

Next up, sensa-trac shocks, new sway bar end links, front skid plate & hitch.
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #19
WhammyXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice find and good luck in your XJ adventure. You may want to look at your leaf springs. They are sagging quite a bit from the initial picture.

Cheers!
_(o))_____(o))--o-))
WhammyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2000 xj , newbie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.