My first XJ - Advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My first XJ - Advice?

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Courtney19
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My first XJ - Advice?

Hey!

I am new to the forum and thought I would post some pics of my Jeep. I really know nothing about vehicles, but it doesn't mean I don't want to learn everything I can about Cherokees. I absolutely love them! I have always admired and wanted one. About 8 months ago while searching the classifieds like I did every day, I found him.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
He is purple
his name is Jep (he is missing one "e" on the front grill)
4l Inline 6

He has some narly dents on his one side, but it seems to work to my advantage when I want to change lanes!

I wont be doing anything too drastic with it yet, i wanted to wait till the honeymoon period was over before I started sinking my money into it.

Since I don't know much about Jeeps I would appreciate any feedback you may have about how I can enhance the beauty and ruggedness of my lovely friend. I would like to get a small lift or perhaps a spacer kit (whenever I decide to improve the suspension) - not too big, I would like to be able to get in and I all ready have to jump in (im short).

Also, I am thinking a muffler/exhaust to make it purr

Little things like clear lights for the front

If you could mention any places to check out for any of this stuff, that would be great. I live in Ontario Canada!

My pictures suck, I will have to take more later! I am really just looking to soak up your knowledge and opinions

Courtney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
brandy89
2003 JK Wrangler 

welcome, and for the clear lights i would check out ebay thats where i looked for mine, they have lights for the front and also for the side parking lights! also for the lift i would go with a small lift instead of a spacer kit unless your not planning to do much wheeling with it then you should be fine!! good luck on your searches!!
Unread 04-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
Dbiked
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That is one purple jeep. . . Sorry, That is one purple Jep. haha Looks good man. Welcome to the forum.

You made a good choice with this forum. There is a ton of knowlage in here. I would get into the tech section first and read through all the "Stickies" at the top of the page to really get to know your jeep. Then after that has given you ten million questions, start searching. Its a lot nicer to find a thread that has had a lot of traffic and read through that, than to ask a question and wait for people to answer you back.

Good places for jeep stuff online are Quadratec.com, rustysoffroad.com, JCRoffroad.com, ajsoffroadarmor.com, 4wd.com, autoanything.com, There are more, but thats all I can think of.
Utah jeep crew member #32
Dbiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Courtney19
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy89 View Post
welcome, and for the clear lights i would check out ebay thats where i looked for mine, they have lights for the front and also for the side parking lights! also for the lift i would go with a small lift instead of a spacer kit unless your not planning to do much wheeling with it then you should be fine!! good luck on your searches!!
Thanks!

I def will be getting the front and side ones.

How do the different lift options affect the overall ride of the jeep? I do ALOT of driving in mine, some highway, and alot of back roads with major bumps. I am guessing that the spacers would stiffen the ride and that getting a proper 2" lift with shocks and springs would be better?
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Courtney19
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbiked View Post
That is one purple jeep. . . Sorry, That is one purple Jep. haha Looks good man. Welcome to the forum.

You made a good choice with this forum. There is a ton of knowlage in here. I would get into the tech section first and read through all the "Stickies" at the top of the page to really get to know your jeep. Then after that has given you ten million questions, start searching. Its a lot nicer to find a thread that has had a lot of traffic and read through that, than to ask a question and wait for people to answer you back.

Good places for jeep stuff online are Quadratec.com, rustysoffroad.com, JCRoffroad.com, ajsoffroadarmor.com, 4wd.com, autoanything.com, There are more, but thats all I can think of.

Awesome! Thank you for your suggestions, I will definately be spending some time on the tech forum doing my research. Also, thanks for the stores, I will bookmark them all!
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney19 View Post
Thanks!

I def will be getting the front and side ones.

How do the different lift options affect the overall ride of the jeep? I do ALOT of driving in mine, some highway, and alot of back roads with major bumps. I am guessing that the spacers would stiffen the ride and that getting a proper 2" lift with shocks and springs would be better?
A spacer lift will keep your ride the same. The rokee leaf packs sag.
A full lift with new packs would be a good idea. when i lifted my jeep for the first time i used spacers and shackles. does pretty well offroad and on the street. Buttt the jeep bug bit me and now im going 4.5. be prepared to get addicted and welcome to the dark side
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
BlindmeXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to JF......nice XJ
Unread 04-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
brandy89
2003 JK Wrangler 

once you get the lift done just make sure to do an alignment or it will be a crappy drive, and all over the place!!
Unread 04-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

^ what he said. I had death wobble until I took it to a shop. That was before I knew that it was just the toe and u can do it in you garage
Unread 04-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Excuse me! What SHE said.
Unread 04-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
brandy89
2003 JK Wrangler 

death wobble is the worst i also had to tighten my steering it was pretty loose that made it handle better!!
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome. I'm jealous of the fact that your jeep is purple and mine isn't.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome aboard and Have fun !!!
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.