My First XJ :) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My First XJ :)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 06-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
BurbsPrepper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My First XJ :)

Hey all!

I am picking up my first XJ ever today and I couldn't be more excited! I've been reading the forum a lot in preparation for owning an XJ, but finally signed up today. I am sure that I will have plenty of n00b questions and figured I should make one thread instead of many n00b threads, haha.

First question... the guy I am purchasing it from states that only one of the power outlet/cigarette lighters provide power. I was wondering if they're both supposed to provide power or if one is power and one is a lighter or what?

Thanks!

BurbsPrepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
Teej
Brandon <3's Alcohol

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurbsPrepper View Post
Hey all!

I am picking up my first XJ ever today and I couldn't be more excited! I've been reading the forum a lot in preparation for owning an XJ, but finally signed up today. I am sure that I will have plenty of n00b questions and figured I should make one thread instead of many n00b threads, haha.

First question... the guy I am purchasing it from states that only one of the power outlet/cigarette lighters provide power. I was wondering if they're both supposed to provide power or if one is power and one is a lighter or what?

Thanks!
I know that some XJs have one for cigarette lighter and one for power. Mine has no lighter, but it has one power. Not sure if there were ever any with two power outlets.

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
BurbsPrepper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
I know that some XJs have one for cigarette lighter and one for power. Mine has no lighter, but it has one power. Not sure if there were ever any with two power outlets.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Gotcha. So, it would be possible that one is just a lighter and the other is power? Good to know! Thanks
Unread 06-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Teej
Brandon <3's Alcohol

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurbsPrepper View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

Gotcha. So, it would be possible that one is just a lighter and the other is power? Good to know! Thanks
For added fun you could always wire your own power outlets to other locations in the Jeep. It's something I've wanted to do but haven't done due to my laziness.

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the club and hope your XJ brings lots of great memories.
I'm new too and been enjoying my build and soon hope to start clocking up some miles around Australia.
Mine has two outlet plugs with a fuse each! I don't think there is any difference between them.
Dezman121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
BurbsPrepper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezman121 View Post
Welcome to the club and hope your XJ brings lots of great memories.
I'm new too and been enjoying my build and soon hope to start clocking up some miles around Australia.
Mine has two outlet plugs with a fuse each! I don't think there is any difference between them.
Interesting, Dezman... I am enjoying the XJ.

Another question... sometimes, the rear hatch indicator light goes off even though the hatch is closed. I just have to keep closing it until it goes off. Any ideas how to fix this?
Unread 07-01-2014, 02:11 AM   #7
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had to re close mine a few times as it wasn't closed tight!
Dezman121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
everynametakin
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Change the rear hatch activation switch or cut the wires to it and be done with it
everynametakin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Both are supposed to provide power. The Lighter socket (the one on the left) only provides 12v when the jeep is running. The Power socket (the one on the right) provides 12v always.

If one of these isnt getting power at all, then WELCOME TO OWNING AN XJ YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

It's probably just a fuse.
Unread 07-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
BurbsPrepper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezman121 View Post
I had to re close mine a few times as it wasn't closed tight!
Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by everynametakin View Post
Change the rear hatch activation switch or cut the wires to it and be done with it
I will check that out. It seems like an easy fix. (Assuming that it is what is wrong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardPC View Post
Both are supposed to provide power. The Lighter socket (the one on the left) only provides 12v when the jeep is running. The Power socket (the one on the right) provides 12v always.

If one of these isnt getting power at all, then WELCOME TO OWNING AN XJ YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

It's probably just a fuse.
Haha. I hope it's just a fuse

New question...

Just recently, my XJ started making a creaking noise when going over bumps. Anyone have any idea what it could be?
Unread 07-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE="BurbsPrepper;24018322"

Just recently, my XJ started making a creaking noise when going over bumps. Anyone have any idea what it could be?[/QUOTE] well as our jeeps age
much like ourselves you will find strange and unexplainable noises from time to time,usually its no big deal,sometimes its an oh crap moment you will learn the difference between the two soon enough. I would check the shocks to see if the top cover is rubbing on the main shock body,if thats not the problem it could be a bushing noise or some people have sprayed pb blaster on the leaf springs them selves between the leafs where you will see a small plastic disc that sits between the leafs and that will some times cure it. Or the best fix most xj owners do is turn up the radio.
Unread 11-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
BurbsPrepper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hey all, thanks for all of the great help so far!

My Jeep and I have been through a lot already. The previous owner managed to let the floorboards rust through. So, my cousin, who is a welder, helped me out and welded it up. I now have all new steel in my front floorboards. I've had to change an O2 sensor. I've added HIDs. I'm replacing the dash lights with LEDs. I've fixed some rust.

Today, I am wondering if there is anyone who can help me understand the 4x4 a little better. I've never had a vehicle with 4x4 and I would like to know when to use each mode and if there are any tips and tricks about engaging it. I want to treat this Jeep as good as I can.

Thanks!
Unread 11-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What modes does yours have? Alternatively, what transfer case is it?
Unread 11-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #14
BurbsPrepper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

From Googling, I have a NP-242. "Selec-Trac" part-time OR full-time - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO
Unread 11-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dude you are going to love that. I had the NP242 in my 93 police package, and in my 99. I bought a 98 in May and swapped a 242 in earlier this month because I love them so much. I dont have much time but here are the basics. Search for NP242 in this forum and you'll get some really good info on how to properly shift, and how your tire pressure can affect the ease of shifting

2WD: Everyday driving
4 Part Time (4PT): This is every other 4wd system's "4HI". Do not use on hard surfaces such as dry pavement. Tight turns will cause the front end to "pop" which is your front axle eating itself.
4 Full Time (4FT): The single most awesome thing ever created. This is selectable all wheel drive. You *can* use it all the time, but most people don't due to the possible extra wear and tear on the drivetrain and/or reduced gas mileage. I use it in rain and light snow, and it keeps the jeep from getting sideways in the corners. The manual says you can shift into 4FT "at any legal speed" but I think they mean up to 55mph. I may or may not have shifted into 4FT at 70mph on the interstate one night.
N: Neutral. Disconnects the input from the transmission.
4LO: Low range, off road only, have to put the transmission in neutral before shifting into or out of 4LO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.