My first XJ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My first XJ!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
airman401
1994 ZJ 

My first XJ!

My name is Ryan and (oddly enough) I'm coming from the world of Volkswagens.

I picked up my new baby for $1000. Its a 91 Laredo with 250k on the clock. Its got a funky red (purple?) interior which I actually like a lot.

It needed a new new battery right away.

I noticed the Coolant reservoir was full of sludge so i took it out, cleaned it up, and flushed the system.

Only problem I'm having now is a pretty good sized oil leak. I replaced the valve cover gasket today just cause it couldn't hurt. I hear it could be a rear main seal. Oil pressure it sitting a little low, but its stable.

Anyway, on to the pictures

Looking forward to meeting everyone one learning more about my XJ!

Ryan

airman401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

where is your oil leaking coming from? its not passenger side is it? look and see if your starter is covered in oil and looks like your filter is leaking... there are O rings inside the oil filter adapter mine leaked severe, but it was easy to spot as it dripped onto the starter and front passenger side axle.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
airman401
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
where is your oil leaking coming from? its not passenger side is it? look and see if your starter is covered in oil and looks like your filter is leaking... there are O rings inside the oil filter adapter mine leaked severe, but it was easy to spot as it dripped onto the starter and front passenger side axle.
So far its been tough to locate. it has obviously been leaking for a while.
airman401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I welcome to the jeep world! I have a 98 with 233k that I just got about three months ago and I've been working on getting some of the mechanical issues straightened out myself. Gotta love these high mileage XJs!

I think I have a leak from the oil filter adapter, and possibly one from the rear main seal. Luckily the rear main seal can be changed without having to drop the transmission. Keep us posted on your progress!
sanchagrins is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.