My First Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My First Project

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, Skids

Unread 08-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Night_Hawk
1989 XJ Cherokee 

My First Project

So about a month ago i bought a 1989 jeep cherokee for 700 buck Bone stock and going to make it into my weekend warrior here are the spects on it now.. inline 6 w/ 156,xxx K&N air filter and its a 5speed w/3.08s D30f and D35R. First thing that i did was change all the fluids out and front and rear diff. i will try and get some pictures up asap

Last edited by Night_Hawk; 08-01-2009 at 06:27 PM..
Night_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Night_Hawk
1989 XJ Cherokee 

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...80842767bf.jpg
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...fad1e3a28a.jpg

Sorry about the links not sure how to post just the pictures

Last edited by Night_Hawk; 08-01-2009 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: no pic
Unread 08-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Night_Hawk
1989 XJ Cherokee 

The first thing that im going to do is work on getting some new paint on it and take those tires off and get some with a bit more tread...then start looking for a lift and other parts
Unread 08-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Tarukai
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post

Sorry about the links not sure how to post just the pictures
click-free for you!

Also, looks good from what I can see. Those wheels are aftermarket I see. Some more meat on those wheels would look good, but make sure you have the clearance for it.

Looks like you got a good find. Keep us informed!
Tarukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
Night_Hawk
1989 XJ Cherokee 

to im going to start paint in the morning and i think i should be done around like 4pm and i got some steel today to start bumpers and sliders.. then i going to start looking for tires and a lift.. i think im going to go with a BB just block the front and shackle the rear for now one day i will put the 3.5 rubicon i want on it but got to start somewhere i will update as soon as i can
Unread 08-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
Night_Hawk
1989 XJ Cherokee 

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/92/l_fb46e8fd2ae447c7b31fc819882bc267[/IMG]
started the prep on the jeep for the paint
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Look into the Rough Country 3" AAL kit. They aren't too expensive and give you a decent foundation. I called rough country directly, and negotiated with them so the price included shipping was 260. PM me for details.

Another good place to start is treadwright.com. They sell retread tires, but not the typical retread. Many guys here run them, and I have yet to see one complaint. I know with 31's you get the high quality of a $150 tire, but only pay $75 or $85.

The 3" kit will run 31's no problem, and with tires, you are looking at 700ish total investment! It's a great start!
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
Night_Hawk
1989 XJ Cherokee 

thanks mgramann i will look into that lift and those tires i have a buddy that works at les schawbs so im going to see what i can do there first but that sounds like a smoking deal
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
thanks mgramann i will look into that lift and those tires i have a buddy that works at les schawbs so im going to see what i can do there first but that sounds like a smoking deal
It'd take one hell of a deal to beat it The traction these provide are great. Don't settle for an AT when you can get an MT though

$170+ish For the goodyear version

$85 Each for the treadwright version

No brainer to me
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
Night_Hawk
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Alright so the paints done i went to the local napa and got some of that krylon car paint in a can and some primer 3 cans of primer and 5cans or Ulta flat black paint and some tape and this is what i got
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...e15e9df56a.jpg i also found some white rims and alright tires on CL for 100 buck and put them on also and changed out the rear bumper for one my buddy build awhile back starting to look a bit better
Unread 08-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
Night_Hawk
1989 XJ Cherokee 

OK so i Got my bonus from work on Sat or last week so i splurged a bit and tooks the last 4 days off and really worked on the old jeep.. heres a list of things ive done in the last few days 1) tinted the windows 15% in the Front, 5%in the rear 2) Fab up a new front bumber for her and gave my best effort for a stinger (its soso) 3)Fabed up some rock sliders noting special but they will work for what im going to be doing 4) junked that old rear bumper looked like crap so i once ago got the welder and grinders out and made a new one not 100% done still need to add some tow points, 5) got a BB from RC and some rear shackles for a 2inch lift new off Cl for 45 bucks still going to look into getting a AAL kit soon while doing the lift it took out my rear sway bars and installed new shocks 6) Got me some new tread there 30x9.5 trail diggers had good ratings and got them for dirt cheap for a buddy that i know 7) did some reading on why it kept overheating and figured out its cause of the closed ratiators system so i changed that over with some help for the forums and my local Woodys 4x4 gave me a good deal on a 3 stage rat 8) so my muffler was shot and the cat was done for so i got a new cat and a Cherry Bomb welded them on last night.... So let me know what you guys think im going up camping this weekend some i will try and get some pics... I also was thinking about a Locker for the front D30 any opinions on that

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...12aa2e40d1.jpg
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...92434ffe86.jpg

Can somebody please make them click free
Unread 08-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
Teal2doorXJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

nice dude, looks good
Teal2doorXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice work!
Unread 08-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
Night_Hawk
1989 XJ Cherokee 

thanks that last few days have been a blast just stay up until i cant work anymore and its cool to see everything come together i will get some more pictures up as soon as i get some more time off to go and play a bit with it and i would still like some input on the front locker the goods the bads anything helps
Unread 08-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
Night_Hawk
1989 XJ Cherokee 

some pictures of today when up Mt. St. Helens

changed the rear bumper back out trying to put a hitch in the other one and the front one is one im building for a buddy so he can put a winch he will have to cut out his grill a little but will have a better aproch angle.... still would like some input on a front locker plez.... going to the beach this weekend so will try and get some pictures form there if possible thanks and plez let me know what yall think

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.