My first mod...the headliner! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My first mod...the headliner!

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #31
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Starting mine next weekend I reckon. Got the ebay headliner roll and three cans of Permatex Body Shop high heat headliner adhesive. Won't go back in for a while though....sold another car so have some cash to repaint the XJ and hopefully remove the evidence of what appears to be someone having dropped a piano on the roof. Going to take lots of before pictures of the trim for sure.

SSellers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #32
originalmon
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for sharing these tips! Nice to see.
originalmon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #33
Riley/MN
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Finished mine a couple weeks ago, seems to be holding okay. Messed up the visors while pulling them apart. Broke the little nubs that hold the things together. I am thinking I need to get a pair from the junkyard and cut the foam away, then carefully release the little plastic nubs...
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
Riley/MN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #34
jeepjunkie97

Finished mine about a month ago as well. Before using ~2 cans of 3m super 77. Didn't hold everywhere. Few weeks later I used a hair dryer to activate the adhesive and peel the headliner back slowly (took like 3 days). That time I used ~4 and it did the trick. Stay up everywhere except behind the soundbar, little sag. But in my book it's a victory
jeepjunkie97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #35
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Finally did mine the other day. Learn from my mistakes.

-After laying the headliner out, trim the excess off the ends so it's easier to work with especially if you're doing it alone. I didn't so I had over a foot hanging off each end. One side/half did OK but the other got slack and bunched on me when I was laying it down and stuck immediately, and then the opposite side from where I was holding touched down. Plus having a coat of glue on the headliner itself means if it happens to touch itself it sucks. F dash dash dash multiple times. Couldn't pull it back off and when I tried it would just catch somewhere else. It was like trying get a really bad booger off your finger without having anything to wipe it on times 1000. My wife was going to be off work the next day and told me to wait but nooooo old Steiner has to try everything alone. Of course she made fun of me later, but now she can't see it.....at least until the swelling goes down.

-If you can find sawhorses and a piece of plywood or at least a few boards for support that's the way to go instead of laying it on the ground like I did. On the ends you need to support the back of the board while pressing so it doesn't bend and crack. I didn't have any problems with that but i think it would've been easier to work on if elevated.

-Two cans of the the Permatex Body Shop high heat headliner adhesive was enough to do two coats on the board and one coat on the headliner. If you follow the directions (five minutes between coats and five minutes before final assembly) it will stick IMMEDIATELY.....so hard that on the places I tried to pull up it started pulling the board off or tearing the foam off and this was before pressing it down. On some of the youtube vids it looked like people sprayed the glue and then laid out the headliner right away and could reposition it a little as needed. I guarantee you ain't doing that with this stuff if you apply it using the instructions. Hopefully this also means it ain't coming loose.

Overall yeah I've got a few wrinkles/bunches in it but a couple will be covered by the full overhead console, and at least it'll be better than feeling like I'm riding under a deflated hot air balloon along with foam snow going everywhere when the windows are down. Maybe I should've just f'ed up the whole thing like that so it would look like wrinkle finish paint or like a giant brain. I'm trying to work up the motivation to redo it but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. Don't let it scare you though, it would go pretty good I think if you don't follow my lead.
SSellers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.