My first mod...the headliner! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My first mod...the headliner!

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
N2Fix
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My first mod...the headliner!

After a few weeks of thinking, "How hard could it be?", I finally got up the nerve to yank the saggy headliner out of my '98 XJ Limited and make it unique. Off we go! First things first, pull it, peel it, take a scrub brush to the deteriorating foam, and then let it take up space in your garage...

...while waiting on delivery of this! Three yards of the US Navy's blue digital camo:

Didn't know it when I ordered it, but it even has the Navy logo scattered around the pattern:

Took a break to go fishing...that flat water behind my friend is far enough out in the Atlantic Ocean to be considered outside of the country! Which is why I took a break to go fishing...

I don't figure there is any hope of this ever being properly reassembled...

Adhesive applied - Point of no return!

Fours cans of headliner adhesive later...Voila!

What the heck...let's do the visors, too. Plus, I was able to get the console back together! Here, after install:

My very first mod, all done flying solo, in its final state:

I love the way the blue, gray and black of the pattern really go with the colors of my XJ. Living in a town with a Naval Air Station in one direction and the Naval Port in the other direction, I see these fine folks in their fatigues all the time and it hit me that the fabric would be perfect as a headliner for the 'N2Fix'. Luckily, I was able to find some in a 60" width, so I didn't have to seam it down the middle. Thanks to the Jeep Forum - wouldn't have been able to do this without it!

N2Fix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Looks awesome!
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The headliner came out great man, i'm jealous of the your ability to fish. The closest lake from here is over 2hrs, let alone its trash for fishing.

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
Curt41
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good! Army ACU would have been better though

Check out my build thread

Survivalist Jeep #6

Rusty's 3in Full leaf pack, JKS quicker discos, rear sway bar gone, Carr light bar with 4 KC 6x9's, C4x4 Tow Hooks, Flowmaster Super 44 Off Road Muffler, 31x10.50 Goodyear Dura-Tracs

Looking for a set of pre-96 XJ front bumper endcaps
Curt41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
N2Fix
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the kind words! I have to say that the decision to use the Navy fabric, as opposed to any other branch of service, is strictly based in fashion. After all, those shades of blue and gray aren't found in the others. If I still had my first XJ (RIP) which had the tan interior, I would have certainly used the camo pattern that we're currently sporting in the middle-east. However, my father-in-law, the retired Master Chief, is pretty happy with my choice of the Navy's colors. Go figure.

I just realized that I have been talking about fashion and the matching of headliners and interior trim. Makes me feel like I'm about one pink shirt away from waving at folks who are driving a Liberty. Maybe I should get back on the fishing topic!
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
thakoolaidkid
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Where'd you order that headliner from? I've been looking for digi camo for awhile and can't find anything good.
Oct 2010 Moab Trip: [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f161/need-advice-first-moab-trip-1093854/index3.html#post10341304"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f161/need-advice-first-moab-trip-1093854/index3.html#post10341304[/URL]
thakoolaidkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
MikeHoncho88
2015 JK Wrangler 

Looks nice! Just curious, what kind of adhesive did you use?
MikeHoncho88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

gotta say at first i thought that was going to look terrible, but you proved me wrong. well done, looks very nice.
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
bizzy102
1993 FSJ Cherokee 

that liner is tight!!!
bizzy102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
N2Fix
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks again for the compliments! The fabric came from Fashion Fabrics Club and they had a big selection, even other colors of digital camo. It now looks as though the wife's KJ is going to get a headliner facelift...something in pink. Imagine that...I may have created a monster!
The adhesive I used came from Advance Auto Parts. It is the Permatex carpet and headliner adhesive, $11 per can at my store. According to the technical data sheet, it should hold up to the Florida heat - fingers crossed!
Now, let me share some tips for doing the visors: Remove the fabric first! If you just pry and pull to unfold the plastic clamshell base of the visor you will be rewarded with very loud cracks and showered with little broken plastic pieces. Found that out when doing the passenger side. When doing the driver side, I cut and pulled the fabric off first, as best I could, which allowed me to see the places where it clips shut. Then I could get a screwdriver in there to release the clip and it all opens nicely. Also, pull the short plastic stub (opposite side from the point that it attaches to the roof) out of the visor. With a little pulling and twisting, it will slide straight out. If you don't pull it before opening the visor, guess what happens? Yep, more cracking and flying plastic! Looking back, I should have taken more pictures of the visor disassembly and recovering because I'm sure someone would have benefited from them.
Also found out that the wife's sticky lint roller works perfectly for getting off tiny little bits of foam left behind after scrubbing the headliner backer board. Just put it back in her drawer when you're done!
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
jeepin ruby
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I need to do this soooo bad. Your getting me motivated to get off my butt and do it. Looks good

My build...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-01-xj-784959/
jeepin ruby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
throttlejunkie1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I see your located in Jax...Just bought a house down there in Orange Park last week. Going to be moving next month. Let me know how well your headliner holds up. I did the same thing last year with the same fabric. Mine didnt work out so well because of the brand of glue or the lack of glue...Thats some thick fabric. Yours looks great though!

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
throttlejunkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
N2Fix
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlejunkie1 View Post
I see your located in Jax...Just bought a house down there in Orange Park last week. Going to be moving next month. Let me know how well your headliner holds up. I did the same thing last year with the same fabric. Mine didnt work out so well because of the brand of glue or the lack of glue...Thats some thick fabric. Yours looks great though!
Welcome to the neighborhood! You're going to be close to the Jennings State Forest down there in OP, I've heard of lots of people run the trails out there. A nudge further south is the Ocala National Forest - I was down there turkey hunting a couple weeks back and just loved rolling down miles and miles of trails.

As for the amount of glue, my tally came up to nearly 3.5 cans to just do the headliner. I don't think I was stingy with the application of glue! Also, I applied it to both the board and the fabric.

I was driving down the road today and must have seen a half-dozen Navy folks driving to or from the base. Found myself wanting to yell out the window, "Hey, come look at my headliner!"
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #14
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Man that looks good! I really need to fix my headliner it is sagging like crazy now. What did you use to replace the foam you removed?
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
N2Fix
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
Man that looks good! I really need to fix my headliner it is sagging like crazy now. What did you use to replace the foam you removed?
Not a thing! The fabric is glued straight to the backerboard.
Thanks for the compliment, really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.