My Detour's Carrier bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My Detour's Carrier bumper

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Fury3

2000 XJ Cherokee 

My Detour's Carrier bumper

This isn't a write up or a how too but I'll give a pretty good description and a few pics. I literally just got done with the install. The bumper came securely packaged in wood and heavy cardboard. Some bracing was added to the rocker guards to keep them in shape. The bumper itself has beautiful welds and came primed and ready to paint. I gave it a light sanding and used Duplicolor's rattle can bed liner. I'll report later on it's longevity. The bumper ties in where the old bumper mounted and with two additional mounts using the frame rail where the gas tank skid or stock hitch would mount.
It also mounts at the rockers themselves. Mark @ Detours suggested cutting and folding the rockers but I went a different route. After the bumper was bolted in at the rear, I cut open a 3" x 4" "door" on the inner skins of the rockers. This was to bolt the bumper to the outter rocker sheet metal using the supplied thick "washer" plates and allen cap screws. After bolting them up using a little thread locker, I pop riveted two pieces of 1/8" aluminum over the cutouts and siliconed everything really well.
Removing the outter rocker cladding added sort of a gap where the stock flares end and the bumper begins. To eliminate this gap I cut the old plastic claddings to about flare size and shaped them with a grinding wheel. I then drilled new holes to mount them near the top (the old mount at the bottom was still used). I used stainless steel pan heads with screw covers on the outside to keep things pretty and nylock nuts on the inside panel. I think they tie the bumper into the stock flares pretty well.
Overall I like this bumper for it's mounting strength and to me, it looks pretty cool. Best thing is I finally got the 31 incher outta my interior... I love the smell of tire in the morning....not really, well I didn't mind but the woman made a few comments. I also like having the room back. I like the angle of the carrier following the lines of the hatch too. So here's a few pics any questions ask away.

detours-004.jpg   detours-005.jpg   detours-001.jpg   detours-006.jpg   detours-008.jpg  

2K Cherokee UpCountry 4.0 AW4 w/4.5" lift, Front Spartan, Rear Aussie, AA's Sye, Swapped in HP D30 and 8.25, Yukon front and G2 rear shafts and 4.56 gears, Tom Woods drive shaft, Warn's Hub Conversion, Crown's rear disc conversion, JKS shackles, Quick Discos, ACOS and Upper Arms, RC shackle relocaters, drop brackets and X-Flex lower arms, JCR's TCase Skid, Skid Row's belly pan and LC arm skids, AJ's rails, Logan's front bumper, Detours' rear bumper carrier, XRC8 winch, BlackRock 16 x 8 wheels with 33" TreadWrights, Napier's Flares, Rust, dents and scratches.

Last edited by Fury3; 08-16-2010 at 10:25 AM..
Fury3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
jccJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I love the all terrain meats!
Unread 08-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Fury3

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccJeep View Post
I love the all terrain meats!
Thanks, they're TreadWright's Guard Dogs...31" x 10"

2K Cherokee UpCountry 4.0 AW4 w/4.5" lift, Front Spartan, Rear Aussie, AA's Sye, Swapped in HP D30 and 8.25, Yukon front and G2 rear shafts and 4.56 gears, Tom Woods drive shaft, Warn's Hub Conversion, Crown's rear disc conversion, JKS shackles, Quick Discos, ACOS and Upper Arms, RC shackle relocaters, drop brackets and X-Flex lower arms, JCR's TCase Skid, Skid Row's belly pan and LC arm skids, AJ's rails, Logan's front bumper, Detours' rear bumper carrier, XRC8 winch, BlackRock 16 x 8 wheels with 33" TreadWrights, Napier's Flares, Rust, dents and scratches.
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How's the hing on the carrier? What's used for bearings and such?
Utah Jeep Crew Member #119
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
mg2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
LiquidPT
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Did you just drill new holes to move the plate right? I'm trying to remember the tailgate on my 91, and if it's possible. I really want this bumper though.
LiquidPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
Fury3

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2000xj View Post
How's the hing on the carrier? What's used for bearings and such?
The hinge is a post in socket design, with the post being scored to accept grease, there's a zerc atop for lubing it up. There is zero wobble to this while moving free enough to open and close easily.

Unread 08-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
Fury3

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidPT View Post
Did you just drill new holes to move the plate right? I'm trying to remember the tailgate on my 91, and if it's possible. I really want this bumper though.
I used the right most holes on the hatch with the left holes on the plate and yes, I drilled two more holes in the hatch for the right holes on the plate. I had some 3m double face tape and put that underside the plate to keep it off the surface a bit and rattle free. In open holes on the left side of the old holder I reinstalled the screws and used screw covers to neaten it up.

Unread 08-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
LiquidPT
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Is that a 1990 liftgate you've got on there? I had assumed the ones with the handle were newer than mine, not older...

Thank
LiquidPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
Spokes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

looks great!!! u got a purty xj!!!

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
303_XJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What was the total price plus shipping? If you dont mind me asking
Unread 08-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good, I love mine as well. Great product
99' XJ ~4.0L6~NP231~6" Hybrid RC lift~MT Classic Lock~Detours Custom Light Bar Brushguard~Detours TailBone~Hooker Aero~aFe stage2~KC slimlines~JKS ACOS~JKS Disco.~JKS track bar~JCR T.C.Skid~JCR Stage 3 sliders~JK bumper fogs
stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
Timboll
2001 XJ Cherokee 

looks good since you added that plastic to the fender flare. i never liked the way that bumper looked without it.. looked unfinished
Unread 08-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
Fury3

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidPT View Post
Is that a 1990 liftgate you've got on there? I had assumed the ones with the handle were newer than mine, not older...

Thank
The lift gate is the ol' stock steel one that came with the jeep, Mine's a 2000

Unread 08-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
Fury3

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboll View Post
looks good since you added that plastic to the fender flare. i never liked the way that bumper looked without it.. looked unfinished
I thought so too. Best thing is that it was virtually free to make the little flare add on from the old cladding. Besides the work all I needed to buy was a couple of stainless pan heads, washers, nylon lock nuts and screw cap covers. All gotten at Loews for around 12 bucks.

Unread 08-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
Fury3

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboy View Post
Looking good, I love mine as well. Great product
How long have your had yours and what did you paint it with?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.