My "build' thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My "build' thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
bennyblown2v

My "build' thread

Boosted my jeep this week and more!

Well I decided to order some parts to lift my jeep:

Rocky Road 3" budget lift (spacers, shackles, and blocks)

2" block/ubolt kit from autozone

ZJ UpCountry Monroe Sensatrac front shocks

1986-92 Jeep Comanche Monroe Sensatrac rear shocks

BPE's for the rear shocks

1" T-case drop (if needed)

Pair of round IPF driving lights (good deal at Costco)

31x10.5x10 Goodyear silent armors

----

First, I got bored and started applying the deadener to the trunk!

I did inside the wheel wells and under the back seat and under all the trim, etc...

I decided to prepare for the future so I made some hockey puck bumpstops - can't beat $8 pair of bumpstops

Drilled a 7/8" hole in the top puck halfway through it, 3/8" hole inside that going all the way through.

Recessed bolt in there so it doesn't contact the factory bump stop.

Both stops done with 3-1/2" bolts. I ended up using a 4" bolt on the passenger side.

bennyblown2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
bennyblown2v

Repaired a sway bar end link with a G8 3/8" bolt - works like stock

Moved the brake hoses

Everything installed on the passenger side (note the puckstops inside the coil, urethane spacers atop the coils, relocated brake line, etc...)

Mean stance - weenie tires!

Spacers were closer to 3.5" actual size, plus I left the stock isolator in there so its more like a 3.5" lift.

Uhhh I think I need to do the back soon LOL...

Finished the rear today. It took a good 5hrs because of more hangups

The worst of which was ALL four upper shock bolts snapped off - luckily I had BPE's so I welded them in place. That took a good hour and a half. Next up one of the nuts in my ubolt kit was defective so I had to go buy a new one, none at home depot, but napa had it - another hour gone. Finally got the nut, but whoops, the ubolts are too long by 1/2" and interfering with my sway bar - another 30 minutes later and those were trimmed up lol... Shackle on the passenger side wouldn't line up worth **** and was interfering with the exhaust tip...sawzall fixed that...and another 30 minutes or so of getting the bolt to line up with the hidden weldnut in the torque box. Oh yah and the brake line bracket was being a PITA so I just cut it off lmao...brake line rests fine on the swaybar right now until I can order a YJ line. All in all it wasn't that bad, just little hangups added time, and 3 trips out to the hardware store/lunch added even more

Front was compressed when on jackstands, and leafs had been decompressed all day. 34" to the fender in the front, and 35" to the fender in the rear, that's with 2" blocks and 1.5" shackles back there. I think it will settle another half inch overnight. plus the driveway is slanted haha....

Another angle
Unread 12-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
bennyblown2v

Front with low tires lmao

Rear

I think I'm getting a little driveline vibe from the change in pinion angle - gonna drive it another day or so and see how it is, then if it doesn't magically go away throw in my tcase spacers. Gotta get my buddy Jason to throw on some silent armors tmr too
Unread 12-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Cool! now go get some REAL tires!
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
91xjgawes

looking good man! now get those tires on there. budget lift but it works! i like it, clean jeep too!

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

1998 zj 5.2- 245/75's moabs
91xjgawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
bennyblown2v

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91xjgawes View Post
looking good man! now get those tires on there. budget lift but it works! i like it, clean jeep too!
Thanks man! Yeah budget lift for sure haha... But better than a rough-RIDING-country lift As for it being a clean jeep, I'm the third owner and it only has 67k miles on it

Tires go on tomorrow, I just ran late tonight and didn't have time to make it to my buddies store before he left
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
91xjgawes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyblown2v View Post
Thanks man! Yeah budget lift for sure haha... But better than a rough-RIDING-country lift As for it being a clean jeep, I'm the third owner and it only has 67k miles on it

Tires go on tomorrow, I just ran late tonight and didn't have time to make it to my buddies store before he left

wow 67, still got a lot of miles left, a LOT... i just bought an 01 with 31k on it, i was flippin out when i saw it... i have the same right now on the 01 2 inch spacer, and a 1 inch spacer, and blocks in the rear, mine rides great... how are the shocks working out for you?

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

Unread 12-17-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
bennyblown2v

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91xjgawes View Post
wow 67, still got a lot of miles left, a LOT... i just bought an 01 with 31k on it, i was flippin out when i saw it... i have the same right now on the 01 2 inch spacer, and a 1 inch spacer, and blocks in the rear, mine rides great... how are the shocks working out for you?
Shocks seem good, they fit fine and ride well (i drove around for a day with the fronts in and they feel nice, but have only gone 5 miles since I finished the rear). I'll have a better impression of the ride and everything tomorrow when I go to get the tires put on
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
bennyblown2v

GOT MY TIRES! 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Silent Armors. They are awesome, quieter than the sh1tty kelly's on there before, good handling so far, ride is smooth and forgiving - and they tackle ice AMAZINGLY compared to the other tires haha.

Two things though. I'm getting a lot of NVH between 20-35mph, and from there to highway speeds if I let off the gas I get a grinding sound. I'm thinking it's the yokes??? This only started after I raised the rear. Should I drop my T-case with the spacers I have, will that help anything? Do I need a SYE?? I only raised the back maybe 3.5", hmm. BTW the suspension did settle and its even and AWESOME

Oh another thing, my track bar popped off due to a faulty nut this morning, I replaced the bolt but couldn't get the nut super tight and it still feels a bit wobbly... would it be worth it to get an adjustable track bar for this daily driver?? Also, I think I need a new steering stabalizer cuz after the track bar fell off and I drove it 5 miles home it got insane death rattle a couple times and after putting it back on it still feels a little shakey with the big tires. hrm...

Thoughts?

Oh and hers a pic, still has the blue on the tires haha...

Unread 12-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The vibes- Yes, do the drop, but don't rule out a sye in the future.

Wobble- Get all your torque specs, and re torque the whole suspension. I would go for an adjustable track bar. Just because its a daily driver doesn't mean you shouldn't do the suspension right.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #11
91xjgawes

looks good! if i were you i would go ahead and do the drop... cant hurt anything, and theres not much to it,,,

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

Unread 12-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
bennyblown2v

Ok cool, I'm gonna drop the Tcase this afternoon. I'm gonna measure the pinion angle too, what is spec anyway? lol If it's bad I think I'll go try to hunt down some leaf shims - dunno where might have those around here though hmm...

Staying with the current theme of the "build", I'd like to save as much money as possible while fixing this issue. I'm thinking more and more that i might just do the hack n tap + front ds and shim combo, but we'll see
Unread 12-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
bennyblown2v

I put in the tcase drop and the vibes/grinding went away! YAAAY! However, I over tightened two of the bolts and they started free spinning the nuts that are inside the frame rail UGH Think it will hold, or should I fix it asap? Hopefully they won't loosen up and will stay in there. If not, I'll go buy some square stock and make some new tcase spacers and weld them onto the frame rail. If that turns out to be the case I'll make the mounts with the least ammount of drop possible and do the hack n tap

Oh and daytime pics:

Unread 12-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The bolts will probably hold fine, and if they don't you will know. I'd just leave them as is for now.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
squint_91
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyblown2v View Post

For what you spent on spacers and blocks you could have gotten a RC 4.5" lift, which comes with springs and lower control arms. I guess it depends what your usage and future plans are. Just dont try and tell me that setup rides better though.
squint_91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.