My '99 Xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My '99 Xj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My '99 Xj

I picked up this jeep for 1200$, 133,000 kilometers on it.

It was previously owned by the local power company and was a fleet vehicle.

When i got it it had sagging springs in the back, and pretty much the largest tires you could fit on a stock xj
Compared to the 31" tires on my TJ

So I went ahead and ordered a lift kit for it. its a basic rough country 3"
I put that in, but had issues with the rear leaf bolt. It was a real pain. The front lift went fine.

I then started addressing the rocker rust issue, its the only place were the rust is real bad, so out came the welder and grinder.

Fabbed up some replacement rocker segments

Tacked it in, my welding sucks lol
then got it painted, i'll have to grind down the edge more at one point, my metal crafting was not too exact. i eyeballed it. and then i'll bust out the bondo.

fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
ZSXJ430

I feel you on the rusty rear bolts. I went through hell getting mine out. Had to cut 2 of them off, including the shackles.
Unread 09-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice! got big plans for this? or you just lifting it and tires and then off ya go?
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well i will see, its hard to save money for a nice setup right now.
How ever Im talking to someone about long arms for the front right now, then i'd just need new control arm mounts.

It has yet to see any major off roading yet -_- haven't had the time
Unread 10-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well nothing came of the long arms, oh well. On the look for some beefier tires right now.

Currently working on the exhaust system, when i got it, the exhaust pipe was ready to fall out of the jeep, the only thing that saved it was the transmission crossmember. So I rewelded the rear exhaust hangers, but i still had a clunking sound when running the motor. It turns out the exhaust pipe was hitting on the transmission mount, that was Odd.

So i examined the pipe and discovered warping where it mates to the exhaust manifold.

Turns out that's why this jeeps getting such bad MPG compared to my Tj.

Versus the pipe on my TJ

Its restricting exhaustflow for the motor, most likely the major contributor for the bad MPG.

A new pipe is ordered
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Smoke da peace pipe

New pipe picked up, will install soon. Just gotta change the oil on the tj first.
Unread 10-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well Work today started off with an Oil change on my Tj, its running happy with new oil now.

Then I started to work on the XJ, I was going to change its oil aswell, but turns out the oil in it is fresh. The Po actually changed it. So that's good.

I was poking around on the underside planning the removal of the exhaust pipe when i discoverd my floor was severly rotted, the carpet was hiding it quite well. It was even rust colored lol.
Just to the left of the fuel line, was bare carpeting. It looks like metal.

So work stopped on the muffler and my attention turned towards the floor. I pulled out the seat.

And then i pulled the carpet carefully, i intend to reuse it. This jeep will be used by my dad so i want to keep it as clean as possible... However.
Yikes!

I started pulling and hammering out the rusted sheet steel.

I then used a sawsall to cut out the remaining **** parts.

I used some left over 16ga steel sheet i had from a previous project, started hammering it into shape,

Then i did the back Floor aswell, it was rusting too. Not as bad. but still weak enough my axe could break through it.
So ive got it all mocked up

Just had to buy a grinding wheel to make good contact points for the weld. But its getting late so **** it. i'll do it Tommrow...

I Used a milk crate as a chair. Had to move it out of the garage for the evening.

Tommrows grinding and welding day!
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Today's update,

Got it all in sturdy, I realized my welds sucked halfway through. So I used sheet metal screws in unison with my crap welds to make sure everything was secure. Its rock solid, and can survive a 5lbs hammer blows. So the welds ain't gona break. I used a combination of black window sealant and rubber gasket maker to seal the parts of the floor that i was unable to seal with weld. It should be water tight'ish. Im happy with the results.

With primer on its looking fresh!
Unread 10-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

One of the most difficult parts was aligning the 4wd shift linkage mount, bendign the metal to get it in the right position prooved difficult. It was a good thing i fixed it, it was mounted onto paper thin steel and flexed as i pulled the 4wd shifter. lol.

I also removed my door chime, It pissed me off so much during this project. turns out the buzzer is not a stand alone module, but its actualyl incorporated into the dash cluster. It was a large circular disc with a hole in it. Ripped it off of the pcb and no more chime!
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice floors man. It's hard to tell what they look like under the carpet without pulling it out or looking hard from the underside but sometimes there's stuff in the way. Are you going to put the carpet back in or rhino line that puppy
LukeADukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rhino lining might be in the future, but as for now the stock carpet looks pretty much brand new. Not much dirt, no stains or rips. So I'll put that back in.

I did end up painting the top coat black. it looks good.

Also pulled off the damaged exhasut pipe, Look how restrictive it was!

New pipes going in today, just need to pick up two bolts to replace the header studs, one had snapped on removal.

Then hopefully the seat will be going. Then its done!
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So the pipe was installed successfully.

I found out about a local U-pull the Parts place. Turns out they had 5 recent model Cherokee's there. And their prices were more then resonable. I went with a friend and we spent he entire day there just browsing and checking out cars. It was cool. I went for a few small things, and to see if i could score a gauge cluster, mine was the base one with dummy lights. I also needed an oil dipstick tube.

So I found two clusters, and got both of them. There was no way to test them there so I got both of them for 50$. way less then the 100$ I was quoted for just one used one from a scrapyard..lol.

While there I scored a stock roof rack, we took parts from two different Cherokees. The roof rack cost me 17$
And as an added bonus for that weekend the Upull was also giving away a free shirt for orders over 35$.

so for 67 $ I got two clusters, an oil dipstick tube, a tshirt and a roof rack with 4 cross members. Not bad. So i started painting the roof rack and got inspired, i painted the rockers and bottom of the doors black and the fenders as well

Unread 11-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It is good to see a Cherokee being taken care of and not scrapped due to rust. I have a similar problem in the drivers foot well. Not nearly as bad as yours. I hope... I will be using your pictures when I do mine. I like everything you have done so far.
Unread 11-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the comment, if you have any questions about what i did i would be more then happy to share what i had learnt.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.