My '98 XJ build is finally done! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My '98 XJ build is finally done!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
DRexAuto
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My '98 XJ build is finally done!

Hey everyone. I'm a forum newbie, been lurking around for years but haven't really gotten involved in any discussions. I guess it's about time, eh? So I've been busy building a '98 XJ for the last couple months. It started as a clayton radius arm clone rear coil conversion but morphed into a custom fabbed 3 link along the way somehow...these things happen I guess. All the link ends and most of the brackets were sourced from Ballistic Fab. The links are 2"x2" .250 wall square tube. I wish I could show you guys right now but the rules say I gotta have 25 posts so I guess this thread will be revisited when that happens. Thanks for having a look at my announcement I guess and If you know of a way I can get pics to you guys let me know.

DRexAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Just start having more responses works. How much lift and what tires are you running?
Unread 06-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
AKIQPilot
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds cool. Can't wait to see and hear more about it. What is the main purpose of your build?

PS. You should be able to link pictures from photobucket or any other host immediately and not have to wait for 25 posts. Even a picture from Facebook or another website should link immediately. Copy the URL, click the yellow square (with the mountains in the background) in the me message header and paste the URL into the text box. Should work even on your first post.

[CENTER][URL="https://www.youtube.com/user/AKIQPilot"]My Youtube Channel[/URL][/CENTER]
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

I use imgur to upload my pics and it works WAY easier IMO (gives you a copy and paste link to use on forms)

cant wait to see the pics

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
DRexAuto
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hope this works

Hopefully these pics work

Right now it's sitting on 35" Micky Thompson Baja Claws. The purpose of this build was honestly just to see if we could pull it off homebrew style. It took about two months of nights and saturdays to get it all done. I build engines all day so personal projects take a back seat. Woild have been a lot nicer if a I'd had a tube notcher, drill press, and bandsaw but I made do with what I had. The paint is a PPG industrial coating. I figured if it was good enough for bridges and buildings it was good enough for me, lol.

IMAG0026 by dieseljunkie, on Flickr

IMAG0008 by dieseljunkie, on Flickr

IMAG0025 by dieseljunkie, on Flickr

IMAG0021 by dieseljunkie, on Flickr

IMAG0024 by dieseljunkie, on Flickr
Unread 06-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

thems some shiney wheels lol looks good though! if those are 35s, what amount of lift is there now?

College Student in Genetics, Jeeper and musician

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
DRexAuto
1998 XJ Cherokee 

From what I've gathered about measuring for stock height, it's somewhere between 9-10". I'm not entirely positive because it wasn't stock height to begin with and the rear springs are actually 6" front lift springs for an xj. The coil buckets in the back are about 3" closer to the axle than the front though so it should add that much lift if not more for the heavier spring rate. The front has 8" springs with a 2" spacer. Wasn't going to use the spacer but it had almost a hot rod rake to it without them.
Unread 06-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

looks good... way too tall though, bring that thing down about 3 inches... it will looks saweet... love that back link set up though!
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
UAXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

what are those front headlights??
UAXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
DRexAuto
1998 XJ Cherokee 

They're LED Halo projector lights.
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #11
DRexAuto
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well, took her out for a little light wheeling to test the waters this past weekend. Performed pretty much as expected. Plenty of flex, no bottoming out, tracks straight, no complaints so far. We'll do some more hardcore testing when we install the new winch.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.