My 96 XJ build sheet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My 96 XJ build sheet

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Bmjames24
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My 96 XJ build sheet

This will be my first build and i have no clue what to expect. I'm going for a medium wheeler and DD. I've done a fair bit of research and have come up with a build sheet that I want some input and knowledge on. If you could leave suggestions and honest experiences on the parts in my build sheet it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for you're time!

Suspension:
-4.5" BDS short arm (has most of what I need in the kit and a Steering stabilizer from my local 4x4 shop for free) http://bds-suspension.com/kit-customizer?kid=434H
-2" DetoursUSA Front shock cheaters (FSC's) http://www.detoursusa.com/fsc.php
-2.5" DetoursUSA Shock relocators (rear) http://www.detoursusa.com/xjstm.php
^If I happen to run into the classic issue of the bolts breaking I will make sure to retap for 10m bolts and use these.
-JKS Front Adj. coilover spacer (If new bumper comes into play) http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jks-fro...-jks-2200.html
-Will be doing bumpstops (have no clue what to look for on that part)

Wheels and tires:
-Cragar soft 8s [California Silver/grey] 15x8 4"bs -13 offset (typical wheel you see on most jeeps)
-33x12.50/32x11.50 All-terrain/Mud (which ever i can afford) [stock gears are @3.55 will keep those gears till I am able to fund a regear to 4.56] ((Tranny cooler and tranny temp gauge will also come in time))

Talked to a guy at my 4x4 shop and he said that the Tcase drop should do my np242 just fine, if I do get terrible vibes I can take it to him and he can H&T it and throw in a HD mainshaft for $260.

If i missed anything please let me know! I'd like to not bust my head diving into my first build and not have the funds to fix something I may find while putting the stuff on.

Again thank you for reading/commenting its all greatly appreciated!

Bmjames24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
crem
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Id say if its in your budget to get long arms. Id also go with the 32's instead of 33's unless you have an axle and pinon gear change in the NEAR future. 33's despite what people say, will shorten the life of that baby dana 35. unless this just for driving around.
serious wheeling will not be good on those stock axles.
crem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Bmjames24
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crem View Post
Id say if its in your budget to get long arms. Id also go with the 32's instead of 33's unless you have an axle and pinon gear change in the NEAR future. 33's despite what people say, will shorten the life of that baby dana 35. unless this just for driving around.
serious wheeling will not be good on those stock axles.
I plan on doing light wheeling, camping, and beach drives mostly. Once I get a better job and am more financially safe I will be doing long arm and beefing up my C8.25 when I want to get into serious wheeling. I do favor 32s alot better than 33s I dont want to stuff the wheel well completely.
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
crem
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Then you should be fine either way. Most of the time you can find a 8.8 with LSD 4.10s and disc brakes for cheaper than you can beef up that 8.25 just sayin.
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Bmjames24
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crem View Post
Then you should be fine either way. Most of the time you can find a 8.8 with LSD 4.10s and disc brakes for cheaper than you can beef up that 8.25 just sayin.
Yeah ive read about those. Is the swap pretty simple and straight forward?
Unread 04-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
crem
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, the only thing I don't mess with is welding of the tubes and on the tubes. I usually have a professional do that. Doing gear swaps is somethings that CAN be done but take your time. I was lucky enough to have someone who knew what they are doing teach me. If you're a person who will read, read, read and are mechanically inclined then it isnt too bad.
Unread 04-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
QXj97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Also i personally do 35s on 4.5 with long arms.
QXj97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
Bmjames24
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXj97 View Post
Also i personally do 35s on 4.5 with long arms.
Yeah I wish I had the money for long arms! They will come in the future hopefully. Once they build gets under way she will just be a casual wheeler nothing hardcore till I can fund it hahaha

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.