my 89xj paint job thread!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > my 89xj paint job thread!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
MWESTCOTT
1989 XJ Cherokee 

my 89xj paint job thread!!

what it used to look like all the way up to the hood and that front part being done... got dark so more painting this week if things go as planned!!

jeep4.jpg   paint.jpg   paint20.jpg   paint17.jpg   paint15.jpg  

paint12.jpg   paint9.jpg   paint6.jpg   paint3.jpg   jeep-paint.jpg  

Unread 04-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Put some gloves on fella - and AT LEAST some safety glasses (can't see face when grinding but you know) - Goggles or face shield would be better.

Work started a "see something, say something" campaign this month, and metal in eyes really blows.

It's ghetto, but floor vents don't really look that bad.
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

is that overspray around the hood vents, and down the center of the hood???

if so, sand it and start over. get some acetone and do the entire jeep in desert tan or olive drab. 2 tone looks redneck unless its done with bedlinder along the body lines.

looks alright-ish. could be better.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
MWESTCOTT
1989 XJ Cherokee 

thats just the start still got rest of body to do. its a work in progress... and yes unfortunatly it is over spray (fixing that tomorrow)... the black down center was experimental gunna paint the tan there instead, and it was my friend doing the cutting (he had saftey glasses on)... im the one painting
like i said its a work in progress and im also looking for som input
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
MWESTCOTT
1989 XJ Cherokee 

o and how would you take the wipers off? i need to paint the vent thing between hood and window
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
MWESTCOTT
1989 XJ Cherokee 

should i paint the vents tan also? or leave um??
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
MWESTCOTT
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_In_Black View Post
is that overspray around the hood vents, and down the center of the hood???

if so, sand it and start over. get some acetone and do the entire jeep in desert tan or olive drab. 2 tone looks redneck unless its done with bedlinder along the body lines.

looks alright-ish. could be better.
how do you suggest i could do to make it better??
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

read page 23 of this build thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/t...-sorts-540357/

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #9
MWESTCOTT
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
that guy is where i got my idea!! already got rid of the black center it was kinda driving me nuts, still have to finish some of the over spray tho (ran out of tan paint) doing another layer of tan to get rid of all the over spray... (my first time doing anything like this)
paint5.jpg  
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #10
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

why are you painting the vents on the hood? take them off. maybe sand that hood a little to help remove the overspray, then re-paint.

good luck. post pics.

Unread 04-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
MWESTCOTT
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
why are you painting the vents on the hood? take them off. maybe sand that hood a little to help remove the overspray, then re-paint.

good luck. post pics.
i painted them before the when i was putting the rivets on i scratched some off... i taped around them but as you can tell it didnt help in most areas, i dont think i can take them off now they are riveted on there

getting more paint tomorrow to do roof and fenders (will do more if i have enough paint)
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #12
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

It's all about personal taste, but the desert tan has more appeal to me than the red/black. I'd be tempted to paint the register vents tan also unless you'll be adding more black accents so the vents aren't standing out alone.

Stick a flat screwdriver beneath the tab at the base of the wiper arm to pop it up a bit and release the clip. Then they'll lift off the splined shaft. A small prybar resting on piece of scrap wood to protect paint if they need a little persuasion. Only about 8 screws holding the cowl panel vent thing in place once the wiper arms are removed. Take a look at the wipers' at-rest position so you'll know how to line them up for re-installation. Maybe shoot em with some black while they're off.

I don't think there's enough overspray on the hood there to be concerned about for a rattle-can paint job, the next coat will cover fine. This project is worthy.
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
MWESTCOTT
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj
It's all about personal taste, but the desert tan has more appeal to me than the red/black. I'd be tempted to paint the register vents tan also unless you'll be adding more black accents so the vents aren't standing out alone.

Stick a flat screwdriver beneath the tab at the base of the wiper arm to pop it up a bit and release the clip. Then they'll lift off the splined shaft. A small prybar resting on piece of scrap wood to protect paint if they need a little persuasion. Only about 8 screws holding the cowl panel vent thing in place once the wiper arms are removed. Take a look at the wipers' at-rest position so you'll know how to line them up for re-installation. Maybe shoot em with some black while they're off.

I don't think there's enough overspray on the hood there to be concerned about for a rattle-can paint job, the next coat will cover fine. This project is worthy.
Thanks for the advice and kind words (see link a couple posts above for wat my paint job will be like for most part)
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
MWESTCOTT
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Finished the drivers side fender

forumrunner_20120426_113440.jpg

The overall veiw minus the hood

Attachment 387610

Finished the vent things

forumrunner_20120426_113547.jpg

And last but not least the first layer of the roof... (I have to wait for more paint the stores only carry two cans at a time)

forumrunner_20120426_113729.jpg
Unread 04-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
MWESTCOTT
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Paint job complete

forumrunner_20120427_161818.jpg

forumrunner_20120427_161831.jpg

forumrunner_20120427_161846.jpg

forumrunner_20120427_161902.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.