JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   my 89xj paint job thread!! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/my-89xj-paint-job-thread-1361359/)

MWESTCOTT 04-25-2012 08:44 PM

my 89xj paint job thread!!

10 Attachment(s)
what it used to look like all the way up to the hood and that front part being done... got dark so more painting this week if things go as planned!!

rugsucka 04-25-2012 09:20 PM

Put some gloves on fella - and AT LEAST some safety glasses (can't see face when grinding but you know) - Goggles or face shield would be better.

Work started a "see something, say something" campaign this month, and metal in eyes really blows.

It's ghetto, but floor vents don't really look that bad.

Back_In_Black 04-25-2012 09:28 PM

is that overspray around the hood vents, and down the center of the hood???

if so, sand it and start over. get some acetone and do the entire jeep in desert tan or olive drab. 2 tone looks redneck unless its done with bedlinder along the body lines.

looks alright-ish. could be better.

MWESTCOTT 04-25-2012 09:49 PM

thats just the start still got rest of body to do. its a work in progress... and yes unfortunatly it is over spray (fixing that tomorrow)... the black down center was experimental gunna paint the tan there instead, and it was my friend doing the cutting (he had saftey glasses on)... im the one painting
like i said its a work in progress and im also looking for som input

MWESTCOTT 04-25-2012 09:53 PM

o and how would you take the wipers off? i need to paint the vent thing between hood and window

MWESTCOTT 04-25-2012 09:55 PM

should i paint the vents tan also? or leave um??

MWESTCOTT 04-25-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back_In_Black (Post 13470347)
is that overspray around the hood vents, and down the center of the hood???

if so, sand it and start over. get some acetone and do the entire jeep in desert tan or olive drab. 2 tone looks redneck unless its done with bedlinder along the body lines.

looks alright-ish. could be better.

how do you suggest i could do to make it better??

Back_In_Black 04-25-2012 10:12 PM

read page 23 of this build thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/t...-sorts-540357/

MWESTCOTT 04-25-2012 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Back_In_Black (Post 13470550)

that guy is where i got my idea!! already got rid of the black center it was kinda driving me nuts, still have to finish some of the over spray tho (ran out of tan paint) doing another layer of tan to get rid of all the over spray... (my first time doing anything like this)

Back_In_Black 04-26-2012 12:08 AM

why are you painting the vents on the hood? take them off. maybe sand that hood a little to help remove the overspray, then re-paint.

good luck. post pics.

MWESTCOTT 04-26-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back_In_Black (Post 13470900)
why are you painting the vents on the hood? take them off. maybe sand that hood a little to help remove the overspray, then re-paint.

good luck. post pics.

i painted them before the when i was putting the rivets on i scratched some off... i taped around them but as you can tell it didnt help in most areas, i dont think i can take them off now they are riveted on there

getting more paint tomorrow to do roof and fenders (will do more if i have enough paint)

chris87xj 04-26-2012 01:27 AM

It's all about personal taste, but the desert tan has more appeal to me than the red/black. I'd be tempted to paint the register vents tan also unless you'll be adding more black accents so the vents aren't standing out alone.

Stick a flat screwdriver beneath the tab at the base of the wiper arm to pop it up a bit and release the clip. Then they'll lift off the splined shaft. A small prybar resting on piece of scrap wood to protect paint if they need a little persuasion. Only about 8 screws holding the cowl panel vent thing in place once the wiper arms are removed. Take a look at the wipers' at-rest position so you'll know how to line them up for re-installation. Maybe shoot em with some black while they're off.

I don't think there's enough overspray on the hood there to be concerned about for a rattle-can paint job, the next coat will cover fine. This project is worthy. :thumbsup:

MWESTCOTT 04-26-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris87xj
It's all about personal taste, but the desert tan has more appeal to me than the red/black. I'd be tempted to paint the register vents tan also unless you'll be adding more black accents so the vents aren't standing out alone.

Stick a flat screwdriver beneath the tab at the base of the wiper arm to pop it up a bit and release the clip. Then they'll lift off the splined shaft. A small prybar resting on piece of scrap wood to protect paint if they need a little persuasion. Only about 8 screws holding the cowl panel vent thing in place once the wiper arms are removed. Take a look at the wipers' at-rest position so you'll know how to line them up for re-installation. Maybe shoot em with some black while they're off.

I don't think there's enough overspray on the hood there to be concerned about for a rattle-can paint job, the next coat will cover fine. This project is worthy. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice and kind words (see link a couple posts above for wat my paint job will be like for most part)

MWESTCOTT 04-26-2012 11:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished the drivers side fender

Attachment 387608

The overall veiw minus the hood

Attachment 387610

Finished the vent things

Attachment 387609

And last but not least the first layer of the roof... (I have to wait for more paint the stores only carry two cans at a time)

Attachment 387612

MWESTCOTT 04-27-2012 04:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Paint job complete

Attachment 388247

Attachment 388248

Attachment 388249

Attachment 388250

The time now is 11:05 PM.