My 2000 XJ Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My 2000 XJ Build

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #31
96XJeep

Cutting the floor should not have to happen. I broke a couple of shock bolts and knocked out the weldnut leaving a perfect hole to slide a 3/16" bolt taped to a box end wrench through the opening above. So simple, had both shocks installed with ss hardware in about 5 minutes.

I don't think Edelbrock makes the RE Monotube. It may be Bilstein. Not sure of the valving of the Edelbrock, but they were on my brothers Toyota and he changed them out because they were very stiff.

jdhughes, I dig your choice in wheels, you will like the flex with minimal trimming.

96XJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 01:12 AM   #32
Billet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Im new here, so I just looked from page to page. I like seeing new write-ups. Yours looks good congrats man, and there is always a few bugs to workout when you make big changes
Unread 01-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #33
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_hooligan View Post
How do you like those Edelbrock shocks? I heard Rubicon Express sells them as they're Monotubes but without the IAS valving.
I like them a lot. Before I bought everything I was really set on getting Old Man Emu shocks, but they were just too expensive and I got these for $30 a pop on sale. They ride very crontrolled, not too stiff and not too loose. I guess its hard to compare them to anything yet, because the springs are new as well, but I am very pleased wit them so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96XJeep View Post
Cutting the floor should not have to happen. I broke a couple of shock bolts and knocked out the weldnut leaving a perfect hole to slide a 3/16" bolt taped to a box end wrench through the opening above. So simple, had both shocks installed with ss hardware in about 5 minutes.
Thats what I did when I put new ones in for the first time (back when it was stock), but it took me a lot longer than that. One was not reachable with the wrench, so I had to tap it then. Anyways, I saw that article on rocklizard.com and decided I'd give it a try. Plus, it gave me an excuse to buy a grinder
jdhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #34
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So with no good way to fit the spare in the back with the subs, and no really good reason to have two of them, I decided to try the cubby hole sub box. It turned out pretty nice, actually. I pretty much followed this, but with it mounted on the outside, and no expanding foam:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/write-up-97186/

Here's the pic:

It sounds pretty good, considering I did no calculations for the correct space needed for a 10" subwoofer enclosure. I am gonna add box stuffing (an old pillow) and maybe some expanding foam in the future.

Last edited by jdhughes; 01-26-2009 at 03:40 PM..
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #35
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I hid the amp under the rear seat as well, so there is not more clutter.
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #36
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice, what is your stereo set up?
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #37
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a Panasonic head unit, polk speakers, and this sub with 300 watts. Nothing too crazy at all, but the stuff sounds great.

Unread 01-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #38
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome.

Thanks.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #39
Jones
Consider the following...

Looks good, now you're just gunna want more lift though.
Unread 01-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #40
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ZJones- View Post
Looks good, now you're just gunna want more lift though.
Yeah thats the way its gonna go. I don't have any serious future plans as of right now, but I can expand a lot on the lift that I have if I wanted to. But the resounding problem is always money.
Unread 01-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #41
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I dunno though, a lot of people are super capable on a similar set up to mine. We'll see what happens.
Unread 03-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #42
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I did some more work on it today. I decided to take off the door trim, because mine was faded and splotched. The idea was to paint them black, but I decided I liked the look of it without the trim. I think it looks cleaner.

Here is the trim off, ready to be cleaned up:

I used a plastic scraper to help me get it off. I also had to use a crap-ton of goo gone and other stuff to help me out.

Here's the final product:

All in all, it took me about 4 hours, but I think it was well worth it. There is still some gunk in small lines left, but I hope that over time they will be weathered away.
Unread 03-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #43
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

looks great..i was kinda thinking of doing that to mine and its deffinately a reassurance !
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #44
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

and if i ever get bored of the new look, i can always give myself something to do by re-painting the old trim and putting it back on
Unread 04-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #45
JeepXJ2001
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I love the set up. It the lift and the tires look very proportionate. Rims looks awesome. Congratulations... I am looking forward to get a similar set up.

My only true friend JeepForum.com... Thank you !

My Jeep Photos
JeepXJ2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.