My 2000 XJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My 2000 XJ Build

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 12-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My 2000 XJ Build

The XJ was totaled in the fall of 2013, so I am Jeepless at the moment. I'll still be around the forums though!

Ok, so I finally have made enough progress to start one of these threads. I got my Jeep back in the spring of 2007, and everything I need to lift it has finally accumulated. I've also spent a bunch of time on these forums getting all the info I needed to pick out the right set up for myself. I'm gonna start posting pics of previous things I have done to it, and then I will post the photos from the lift process. I'll be putting the lift on in a week and a half or so. Here goes:

Here it is right after I bought it:

Then I put in a new head unit, Polk speakers, and some subs off craigslist:

Next was a Dynomax exhaust system:

Back in October I picked these Rubicon wheels off craigslist as well:

Then I got a sweet deal on these Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks. Only $30 each; they were on sale:

jdhughes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

These just came from Treadwright last week! They appear to be made very well, so we'll see how they wear. They are 245/75 R16, same size that comes stock with rubicon wheels.

The lift kit arrived too! I got the Rubicon Express 3.5" super ride kit with new leafs:

That's all I have for now. I'll be back in a week or so with the install and before/after shots.
Unread 12-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
tigeowner
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Should look very nice when its all said and done. Hows that dynomax sound?
tigeowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I like it. It's pretty mellow, but it opens up nice when you floor it. Not annoying or anything and I paid only $150ish for it all. Not bad.
Unread 12-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Pat_S
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Deals both left and right, sure cannot wait to see the final product.
Pat_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Pat_S
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Deals both left and right, sure cannot wait to see the final product.
Pat_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
XJclassiciceman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice. I have mine almost done (with the lift). I have a 2000 too and just have to get the drive shaft in now and my RE 3.5 SF with the SYE will be done!!! I'll get some pics time and weather permitting on my thread asap. I have a pile of stuff still to do but the big one will be done finally - it's been dragging on and the wife is tired of me driving her commander since i won't take out the mustang in the crappy weather....and it's on a lift getting headers pulled anyway....I am paying for that this time. It blew trying to do that on stands.

I'll look forward to seeing your results here...I still need a spare - I have to decide on roof or rear for the carrier too.
Unread 12-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
4x4forfun
1998 XJ Cherokee 

what wheels are those ?
4x4forfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4forfun View Post
what wheels are those ?
They are the wheels off a 2005 Rubicon edition Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJclassiciceman View Post
Very nice. I have mine almost done (with the lift). I have a 2000 too and just have to get the drive shaft in now and my RE 3.5 SF with the SYE will be done!!! I'll get some pics time and weather permitting on my thread asap. I have a pile of stuff still to do but the big one will be done finally - it's been dragging on and the wife is tired of me driving her commander since i won't take out the mustang in the crappy weather....and it's on a lift getting headers pulled anyway....I am paying for that this time. It blew trying to do that on stands.

I'll look forward to seeing your results here...I still need a spare - I have to decide on roof or rear for the carrier too.
Nice, yeah I'll have to check yours out too. As far as the spare goes, I'm gonna cram it in the back for now, but I'm hoping to get a carrier for it. About a year ago I saw some pics of a carrier the Detours was gonna make; it was just a carrier, not a whole bumper too, and it bolted to the stock bumper and tied into the frame somehow. Anyways, it looked good and would save me from buying a whole bumper. There are some pics here. Its coming soon they have said... for like a year.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...#post243460516
Unread 12-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #10
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Clean jeep, nice lift, awesome wheels
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I finally began the lift install last Sunday. The first thing that stopped us up was the fact that you had to get rid of the lower end link mounts - the instructions kinda sucked. Here we are cutting it after we got our new grinder

Here is the front almost done...

Installed a new tie rod end, steering stabilizer, and bushings for the swaybar as well.
Unread 12-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

We didn't have too much trouble with the rear. It went in in about a half a day - much quicker than the front.

Then we cut holes in the floor to re-bolt the shock mounts that broke about a year ago. Somehow we had fished the nuts up through there, but it took all day, so we just cut it this time for easier access. We gorilla-taped the metal back into place, and it held strong!

Last thing to install was the T-case drop. I was getting some vibes when I took it for a spin, and this helped smooth it out.

Unread 12-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So here is the after shot:

And here are my goods all ready to go to the tire shop tomorrow morning. Ill have pics up of the final product soon.

Unread 12-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #14
FletchXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Can't wait to see it with the wheels and tires on! Looks good so far. Similar to what I"m planning to do to mine eventually.
FletchXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #15
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

nice build, looks like every thing went all right on your install (i'm dreading doing mine this spring)
1997 ZJ, 1992 YJ, 1992 XJ
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.