My 1999 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My 1999 Cherokee

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Rangerman28
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My 1999 Cherokee

Hey everyone. Lurked around for a many years and had a 1996 Cherokee Classic when I was 16 and ended up selling it and regretted it ever since. So what do you do in that situation? Get a new Jeep of course! So here's my 99 Cherokee.

HP Dana 30
4.5 in Rusty's
JKS Quicker Disconnects
33x10.50 KM2s on stock wheels

Just finished the Rusty's 4.5in lift last night. I'm going with a HnT and a front driveshaft that's sitting in my garage right now instead of a true SYE. It's cheaper and will be plenty strong for me. Eventually I'll get some new wheels but the stock wheels are fine for now since this isn't my daily driver. This is going to be a toy for my wife and I for camping and trail running. Enjoy and I love feedback and questions!

Here she was the day I brought her home.

And with the lift finished!

Don't mind the right shacle bolt... I've got to do a little exhaust modification to get that bolt to fit all the way in...

And here's my old Jeep for the fun of it. 3in lift with 31s.

99 Cherokee Sport- Forest Pearl Green, 4.5" Rustys, 33x10.50 KM2s on stock wheels, JKS Quicker Disconnects, and many more mods to come!
Rangerman28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Nicely done. Enjoy it.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
imthehink
2005 WK 

What a difference, looks good
imthehink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

where did you get the LIFT from and how much if you dont mind?? also your old had the 3 inch lift and new has the 4.5 can you re-call any ride difference, mine is a daily driver, and im stuck and cant decide on the 4.5" or just a 3" so I dont mess up my drivelines and stuff?? any advice or input on this would be awesome! great set up I love those tires.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Rangerman28
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
where did you get the LIFT from and how much if you dont mind?? also your old had the 3 inch lift and new has the 4.5 can you re-call any ride difference, mine is a daily driver, and im stuck and cant decide on the 4.5" or just a 3" so I dont mess up my drivelines and stuff?? any advice or input on this would be awesome! great set up I love those tires.
I ordered the lift from Rusty's Offroad. I ordered it on a Monday and it was at my door on Wednesday. I ordered the 4.5 kit with 3in leaf packs with a 1.5 in shackle, new steering stablizer, and JKS quick disconnects for $1138 to my door. My wife and I were actually suprised with the ride quality and I though it was a little better than my old XJ. I've only drove her around the block since I have just a couple kinks to work out before I take her on the main road such as the inspection. But I didn't feel any horrible vibs but I'm still installing the HnT and new drive shaft soon. When I had the 3" I always wanted to go higher so I'd say if you have the funds or can dig up some more money then go with the 4.5 and a HnT or SYE.

And thanks for the good words!

99 Cherokee Sport- Forest Pearl Green, 4.5" Rustys, 33x10.50 KM2s on stock wheels, JKS Quicker Disconnects, and many more mods to come!
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good! Love the stock but bigger look lol how bad those tires rub when u turn? U bump stop more?

Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
b16gsr
1996 XJ Cherokee 

looks great. peel the rest of the door moldings off and hit them with the 3m eraser wheel and it will improve the look big time.

love the look of tall and skinny tires. thinking of doing that same tire on my new MJ.
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Rangerman28
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Looks good! Love the stock but bigger look lol how bad those tires rub when u turn? U bump stop more?
At full lock the tires only rub the JKS Quicker Disconnects just a bit. But I haven't flexed out the suspension yet but it looks like I'll need some more bumpstop and a little trimming. I'm debating on whether or not to go flareless and trim or just trim enough to keep the flares..

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16gsr View Post
looks great. peel the rest of the door moldings off and hit them with the 3m eraser wheel and it will improve the look big time.

love the look of tall and skinny tires. thinking of doing that same tire on my new MJ.
Yeah, I'm planning on taking the molding off soon and I'll remember to get that 3m eraser wheel. I also loved the look of the tall and skinny! Thanks!

Unread 01-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow I'm surprised the tires don't rub the lca bad.

Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Rangerman28
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Wow I'm surprised the tires don't rub the lca bad.
I was also a little worried knowing the smaller backspacing when I decided just to mount them on the stock wheels since my funds were low. Surprisingly there is actually about 2-3 inches at full lock from the lca's.

Unread 01-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Rangerman28
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Decided I'm going fender-less and trimming. Hopefully be able to work on it this weekend and get her done. I'm thinking about either cutting the front bumper end caps or cutting the bumper up also... any opinions?

Unread 02-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Rangerman28
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A little update:

I got the fenders trimmed, sanded the bare metal and sprayed some Rustolem on there for now to keep the rust away for awhile. I also started on my IRO Hack N Tap tonight and I'll finish it up tomorrow or Saturday. Found a clockspring on ebay so that's on the way then I'll be able to get this baby inspected and on the road and trails! Whats a post without pics?

Tools for trimming. (Not shown is the invaluable rubber mallet )

Front clearance before trimming-

Rear before trimming-

Front finished with 3 coats of Rustolem-

Rear finished with 3 coats-

And starting the HnT-

After cutting-

I'm going to drill and tap this weekend and hopefully get her on the road next week! Thanks for reading.

Unread 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
V1GiLaNtE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome build! Keep up the good work man!!
V1GiLaNtE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Rangerman28
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got the HnT and referbished front driveshaft in and done. Took it for a test drive and wow what a difference! Just waiting on the clockspring to arrive in the next week or so then I'll be able to go get the inspection done.

Unread 02-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
Rangerman28
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's afew pictures of the SYE finished up.

Here's the pinion angle

I think I need to install some shims since the pinion angle isn't quite a straight line, but she rides great now with no vibs and the wife and I can have a conversation without having to yell inside the jeep haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.