My 1997 XJ - New cylinder head - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My 1997 XJ - New cylinder head

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Marcelka
1997 XJ Cherokee 

My 1997 XJ - New cylinder head

Before sharing my latest efforts on my Jeep I'll introduce myself a little bit.
I'm Dutch, living in Holland and own my Jeep for nearly 9 years now. When I bought it with a low milage (50k) it was never used for heavier work than bring kids to school and do some shoppings I guess.
For me my Jeep has to work a little bit harder: daily ride, towing a horse trailer and sometimes transport vintage cars on a trailer.
4 Months ago (120,000 miles) after being very reliable, a motor support was broken. And after a longer while of oil leakage at the head gasket and a coolant consumption, I decided it was time to take the XJ into my garage to dive in it with some tools to fix the head gasket.
Unfortunately the head appeared broken so I had to search for a replacement one. I ordered a new cylinder head in the USA and it took some months to ship it to Holland. Having the parts and screws of the dismantling well organized, and with a brand new head I fixed this job in the past days. Today I had my first short drive and everything looks and sounds fine!
Hopefully I can drive another 100,000 miles before the next big fix.

Marcelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelka View Post
Before sharing my latest efforts on my Jeep I'll introduce myself a little bit.
I'm Dutch, living in Holland and own my Jeep for nearly 9 years now. When I bought it with a low milage (50k) it was never used for heavier work than bring kids to school and do some shoppings I guess.
For me my Jeep has to work a little bit harder: daily ride, towing a horse trailer and sometimes transport vintage cars on a trailer.
4 Months ago (120,000 miles) after being very reliable, a motor support was broken. And after a longer while of oil leakage at the head gasket and a coolant consumption, I decided it was time to take the XJ into my garage to dive in it with some tools to fix the head gasket.
Unfortunately the head appeared broken so I had to search for a replacement one. I ordered a new cylinder head in the USA and it took some months to ship it to Holland. Having the parts and screws of the dismantling well organized, and with a brand new head I fixed this job in the past days. Today I had my first short drive and everything looks and sounds fine!
Hopefully I can drive another 100,000 miles before the next big fix.
Welcome to the forum Marc. I doubt there are many XJ's in your area, hopefully this forum can be of some assistance when you need advice. Sounds like you are pretty handy with tools so the mechanical part should be easy for you.

It's nice to hear from a fellow XJ owner that's half way around the world.
AKIQPilot is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.