My 1995 $400 Expense - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My 1995 $400 Expense

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 01-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #76
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

GOOD MORNING!!! LOL to early to work outside... its 1 degree f and still dark out (here in Michigan.) The sun is starting to come out but its just do darn early to work on it. Today I plan on getting the radiator installed one way or another. I will either get the tie bar or I will fab one! I'll try to get as many pics as I can. First things first though I need that gasket for the thermostat housing. With the radiator installed then I can put her in 4wd and truck up the snowy hill and get back in front of the house. I cant wait to start working on her again! Its taken me this long but the time was right!

BTW: What can I do to cover / seal the crack in that cover that's behind the flywheel, second pic from the bottom in post 68?

And like I said:

95 Build/Rebuild
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/my-1995-400-expense-948376/
tsvallette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #77
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

!!!WORK HAS FINALLY COMMENCED!!!

So when we got back, I had a little shoveling to do....

I only had a little time before it started to snow again but I did manage to get a couple of parts installed: Battery Tray, A/C mount, and the Thermostat Housing. The last pic I was able to get for the day was the battery tray installed

More to follow....

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 01-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #78
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Today was a great day outside, the sun was out with clouds! The temp was good also!

I was able to put in the newer radiator but only attached the two hoses to keep the engine cooler.

I started it up and needed some time to let it run to warm up a bit. Put it in 4wd high and drove it back to the house. When I was close to the house I needed to stop and let the engine cool. There are no fans installed yet

But finally I got it back to the house and started to work on getting a hood back on for now but first a trail pic.

I had to take the hood hinges off and repair them..... they were really bent out of shape.

Well time to call it a night its getting a little dark out now. What a great day!

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 01-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #79
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

fan or no fan... no way should your XJ have overheated. I put in a manual switch for my fan and I don't even have to kick it on most of the time I'm crawling on the trails on a hot day. You were running a short distance in freezing weather without your hood even installed.
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #80
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Radiator not filled completely, hoses need to be re-tightened, and giving it some good american hell like it is contributes to heating issues I am really debating on pulling out the windshield so it doesn't look so bad but then again not sure when I will be able to pull it into the garage.

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 01-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #81
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I managed to do a few thing to her today but I really didn't get any pics that were all that very satisfying. I decided to clean the interior a bit with my daughter help and got rid for the useless stuff. I put in my replacement hood support, this helps out more than I thought it would. While I was at it I replaced the rear brake lights left and right, not really needed but two less parts to worry about later on. Finally I called it break time and made dinner. After getting the kids feed and in bed I cleaned out the garage. Since the weather for tonight will be rainy I wanted to get it inside. Got her inside and started to tinker for a bit. I took apart the driver door and removed the mirror, 97s will be installed soon. To find out is my replacement fenders will fit I placed the 2000 models on along with a 97 header, looks good and bolt holes line up.... now all I need to do is wait for spring to hook up the right front of the chassis to a tree and give it a nice tugg, straighten it out and then mount the fenders and header (well the right side fender.) The horse shoved that side in about 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 01-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #82
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

After thinking about it last night here's the garage pic:

I think today I will be taking out the radiator and work on parts of the engine. Now I have access to my all of my tools and a space heater!

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #83
J308

In for progress. Congrats on the low buy-in price!
J308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #84
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

thesaolin: Just dropping $1,500 into it then hitting that horse I didn't what to just scrap it. There was time and time again when I was going to part it out put I just couldn't.

tofuzeppelin: I wish I could have but the gentleman was very nice and stated that it was too rusted out. I even offered for him to come over this way with the Jeep on his trailer and then I would take the parts off myself but He didn't realize what I truly needed until I showed up and explained what I needed. He felt like a dumb-*** after I showed it more pics. He only sat of the Jeep for 1 day till he called up the scarp yard. I called on day 2 just before he left with it.... I was lucky with what I got.

J308: Thanks, I couldn't believe that I was able to get these parts for the price I paid...... I dropped everything I was doing and went out to get them.

NO KIDS TODAY YA-HOO!!!! Yesterday there was no school for this area so I didn't have the ability to work on the Jeep but decided to plug in a space heater and let it warm up in the garage. Now there is little to no ice on it! Today I may remove the windshield, add the driverside front fender, take off the radiator, and work on the engine area. Since I may have the ability to get to the exhaust manifold, I may take it off and work on it, or just leave it on the engine and do some welding there..... decisions decisions.

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #85
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well didn't get much done yesterday as I thought I would but I managed to snag two photos of what the front end will look like along with an other of the bad front corner. I'm truly debating if I want to try and unbend the front corner or not. With the body parts on you cant even tell:

Bad section:

With the fenders and header on:

Tomorrow I will be going to town and pick up some u/speed nuts.... Speeds Autoparts store sells them for $.24 each which is a great price (better than eBay) I just hope that they told me the right price over the phone and a hose tool.

Looks as though I will need to remove my fuel rail to get to my cracked exhaust manifold. Not too sure if I will be able to weld the crack completely but only trying to do it will tell.

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 01-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #86
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

As you can tell there has been work done to half of the one pipe on the manifold but the other side needs the work done now as well.

And here is the dented part of the frame.

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #87
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I am the only one here right now at this house and only have one of my kids so I am now going to go out and do a some rebuilding. Has anyone built a tool that allows you to unbend metal. I have been thinking of a way to build one and so far it seams very good but not sure how its going to work. Here is what I am think of how to build it. It'll take two eye bolts, a long thread rod, upto 4 nuts, and a way so that it doesn't bend new bents. I was thinking of a good metal that has a very enable way of not bending to hold the eye bolts on top of the bent area and below the bent area but actually just below it. I was thinking of a mower blade just due to what I have around here but tonight I don't think I will be trying to build this but just all thoughts.

But anyways I will be placing the driver side front fender and possible working with my welder. It just all depends how tired I will be after doing a few things. Anyways....... TIME TO GO TO WORK!

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #88
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Done for the night, I was able to get the driver side fender mounted and loosly bolted, I then tried out my idea for unbending the passenger side where the jeep took the major hit from the horse, then tackled the intake manifold and then removed the exhaust manifold. What a productive night! Currently I am uploading a few photos and soon I will have them on here...
Here is my idea but I know I need to really brace this idea:

And the steps I took to remove the intake manifold:

The exhaust manifold is cracked in a few places. These photos are from both sides of the manifold.

Back when I had the exhaust looked at, I asked them how long it would take them to get the exhaust manifold off and back on.... They told me that it would be an 8hr job! Bull ****! I got it off in less than 2 for a total of (putting it back on included) around 3 hrs.

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #89
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Its been a few days since my last update but here it goes... I decided to it was time to make a work table, to make working in the garage a lot easier... WOW what a difference. Today I started do some much needed work and accomplished:

welding the exhaust manifold

Beating out the major horse butt dig

and wired in the 95 headlight wiring to the 97 headlight wiring.... What A Productive Day!

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #90
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I took the weekend off but on friday I managed to get a lot done. Well I welded up a nut that was ripped out during the wreck:

I mocked up a handmade tie bar:

Put on the 97 Mirrors:

Wired in the 97 header to the 95 harness:

Its getting better!

Also I put it all back the engine area back to order and it runs better than before the accident... better then when I had bought it.... its so smooth and it has more power, I dont understand why I never tried repairing the exhaust manifold before... Oh and there are no exhaust leaks!

95 Build/Rebuild

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.