My 1995 $400 Expense - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > My 1995 $400 Expense

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 01-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My 1995 $400 Expense

So I hit up Craigslist for a vehicle that would get me by and noticed "1995 jeep cherokee - $550 (roscommon)". The listing stated "95 jeep cherokee has 230,00 miles. It runs and drives good. It needs rear breaks and the four wheel drive something is wrong works but clunks. It is dented and rusted. $550 obo email for pics. Has poineer cd player. "

Well I emailed two days from when I seen it, the next day he dropped it to $400. I was very happy! Roscommon is an 89 mile drive from where I live. Anyways the picture that he sent me was grainey due to a cellular pic. That photo didn't do any justice. I went up there today and seen it in the driveway with somethings mounted on it. He was still driving it! I asked him a few essential questions and did a few lookovers. Then I took it for a drive. Started it up, engine is great no knocking but belt tenting wheel needs to be either replaced or well oiled. Exhaust needs some attention but will do good for now. The only thing really nessessary is cleaning the interior and rear brakes need to be replaced. The parking brake works good but needs adjustment. After thinking about it they could need to be replaced but then again adjusted. Wont know until I open the rear up and take a look. Here are a few pics of it at my home:

You can see the damage to the body also I believe it needs a new transfer case but then again 4wd does work. I put it in 4high and just let it roll back in reverse with no gas added. I got back about 15 feet and sure enough it has a clunk/grind like there is something loose of something wrong definably needs to be fixed.

95 Build/Rebuild
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/my-1995-400-expense-948376/
tsvallette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

As for a long awaited update:

I cleaned it out, no more animal smell, scrubbed the interior, cleaned the windows, and tore into the dash, to look into my why my when I turn on my headlights I get no dash lights.

A day or two after buying it, I went to the DMV got the title transferred, insurance transferred, and registered it. Legal for the road and very drivable. Like I have stated $400 to buy it and still driving it with just cleaning it.

I did break down and buy a used tire due to the driverside rear tire had weather cracking but that was $20 for it balanced and put on. I drove it around for a week like that with no major issues. AWESOME!!! The next day before work I picked up some radiator fluid which was $8, also at the same time I picked up a new tail light $2 (cop pulled me over for that the night before and gave me a warning) and replaced a broken hose line. The one that goes from the valve cover to the air box, I think $5 covered that.

My next day off the, me and my family drove to town and did some shopping. I decided to clean the engine (still needs more cleaning). The next day after work I went into the local auto repair place and had them check out a few issues also a price quote on what it would cost me. $87 to fix exhaust and $90ish to put in my new brake shoes and hardware. Not bad but I think I will be a second opinion.

Went in to a tire shop that does auto repair and he slashed there cost about half all around. Thank you tire shop. A few days passed and I was in a near by town and strolled into Autozone to check on the price for the exhaust donut that was needed for my exhaust manifold...... $12 and not instock DARN! So I strolled into Advance Auto and checked to see if they had one..... $9.00 and IN STOCK! YES!!!! Thats all that the jeeps needs to fix my Jeeps exhaust issue. Went into Dollar General and picked up a came of penetrating oil. I have my supplies to fix my exhaust that came to around $13.00 instead of the initial cost of $87. WOW I am loving this Jeeps repair costs. That night I drove up some ramps let the engine cool and sprayed the bolts/nuts that hold the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold.

The next morning I went out and started to take the nuts off. The first one came off with little difficulty but came off. The second FCKIN Snapped. To this day I still haven't got it fixed. I need to drill out the old pressed in bolt inorder to get a proper exhaust seal.

I really want to do the work myself but after getting debris in my eye, scratching my right eye ball, not getting an appointment for 4 day to get them to clean it out, then finally get them to checking it out. They had the nerves to ask why it took me so long to come in! Now that pissed me right off! FYI don't pissoff a red head. I calmly told them that THEY COULD NOT GET ME IN TILL NOW! That was the end of that discussion.He referred me to there lower level which has an optometrist. Surprisingly they fit me in right away, that could of been due to the metal that was stuck in there for 4 days and it was starting to discolor my eye in that location. They numbed my eye eyes to check both out sure enough they could see what I say in the mirror, something was stuck in my eye ball (not in my vision). They double numbed my right eye and the doc explained all that he was going to do.... oh btw it was embedded into my eye ball.... he used a needle/syringe to pick it out, it was all weird to me but sure enough I could not feel anything but I did see the pressure he was using and hear the clicking of the syringe picking at the piece of metal that was embedded. Tell you what my eye is feeling better now and they have me using some eye drop antibiotics. I think I will leave my undercarriage alone and have someone else deal with if for now.

Since the time I got the debris in my eye till now 5 days later I have worked on the dash light issue and fixed it. I started out by rewiring my gauge cluster lights and gear selector lights (Orange with black line wire), and my gear selector lights blown so the following morning I bought some new lights and popped those in. Nice I have some working lights. After thinking about it I decided to go in and work on my other dashboard night time lights (Glad I did). First thing I did was remove my heater selector. WOW this is where I found my issue. The light thats in that area had a mouse nest I think (didn't find any mouse droppings) and bout 3 inches worth of wire had no wire shielding. I was able to cut back enough to put on extention and reconnect the light. I put in a new fuse, 3rd times the charm, and LIGHTS WORK! That light was blown also but for a total of $3.16 for 4 lights is really nice. That included the two lights for the gear selector, the heater selector and the rear defroster.

This Jeeps is relatively cheap to fix considering the price I payed for it. More to come....

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 01-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

NICE!!! I can relate to the cheap HEEP What are the future plans or is it staying stock?

Oh, and I learned very quickly that when working under the HEEP if you're too hard headed to wear eye protection then you don't initially touch anything above your face without closing your eyes When I'm done working on the XJ it looks like I have eye liner on so much **** falls on me. My wife *****es at me that I still don't wear my safety glasses when I go under
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
MSjeepthing
1986 XJ Cherokee 

excellent! just the other day i saw TWO xj's for sale in similar conditions for $1000. 4wd worked on them though

'95 XJ Country 2wd
'86 XJ Pioneer 4wd (Project in the works)
MSjeepthing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I plan on upgrading the interior to a 98-99 interior. Depending on my funds I may put in all electronic items, seats, mirrors... etc, but of course that's all in my head not in my wallet. Not exactly sure what lift I want to do to it but get it high enough for some 30s-33s tires. That's the plan so far but first need to fix the essentials.

Last night I actually had to use the 4wd. It made lots of noise but I did get myself out. I now think there may be a few things that will need more attention before digging into the transfer case. I do believe my front cvs need to be replaced, lots of noise coming from the front end when put in 4 high. Could it be possible that the front cvs be in such bad shape that they aren't or should I say slipping like a pin is missing that holds the two pieces together? That 4 way bearing looking thing, the name escapes me...

Here's whats next on my list of things to do:

1. Take it in and get that manifold exhaust donut replaced.
2. Rear brakes installed
3. Replace door mirrors
4. 4wd Fix

I know its a short list but this will set me back some in what funding I actually get in.

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

cool project,
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvallette View Post
Last night I actually had to use the 4wd. It made lots of noise but I did get myself out
I have yet to try my 4x4 out due to fear of all hell breaking loose I haven't come out and actually SAID it yet, but I'm really just dumping my money into what I WANT to do to the HEEP and if I am forced to fix a jacked up 4WD then it will kill all the other stuff I want .......hahahaha

Quote:

3. Replace door mirrors
My passenger side mirror looked just like yours. I slapped some jb weld on it with a bungee cord to hold it up until it cured and it's all good now Oh, I THINK I put some super glue stuff on it before the JB weld as well. It's been on like that for months now with no sign of crapping out.
Unread 01-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
tphitterlude92
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I plan on upgrading the interior to a 98-99 interior. Depending on my funds I may put in all electronic items, seats, mirrors... etc, but of course that's all in my head not in my wallet. Not exactly sure what lift I want to do to it but get it high enough for some 30s-33s tires. That's the plan so far but first need to fix the essentials.

Last night I actually had to use the 4wd. It made lots of noise but I did get myself out. I now think there may be a few things that will need more attention before digging into the transfer case. I do believe my front cvs need to be replaced, lots of noise coming from the front end when put in 4 high. Could it be possible that the front cvs be in such bad shape that they aren't or should I say slipping like a pin is missing that holds the two pieces together? That 4 way bearing looking thing, the name escapes me...

1. Take it in and get that manifold exhaust donut replaced.
2. Rear brakes installed
3. Replace door mirrors
4. 4wd Fix

I know its a short list but this will set me back some in what funding I actually get in.
sounds like a bad u-joint(which is also the "4 way bearing looking thing")that can cause a loud clunk and not work that great...but again i could be wrong.might also be somethign with the seals or so.
tphitterlude92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 02:37 AM   #9
corndogduff

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
My wife *****es at me that I still don't wear my safety glasses when I go under
Can I quote this?

Nice find for $400!
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 02:42 AM   #10
LKrux
1997 TJ Wrangler 

id beat the crap outta that thing until it was dead
Unread 01-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuffers View Post
Can I quote this?

Nice find for $400!
absolutely
Unread 03-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Its been a little bit since my last update but I picked up 98 interior from a guy up north for $75, any or all interior for that cost. I picked up center console, rear seats, rear buckles/belts, headliner w/lights, door panels, dashboard w/airbag, not sure why but I also got the steering wheel airbag, and a couple ... what ... plastic pieces.

I have the rear seats installed, rear buckles installed, rear door panels installed along with rear wiring the electronic door window switch. Passenger side front door window along with the door lock switches rewired but I still need to cut some of the door out so that I can get the panel installed and attached correctly. I am also working on the headliner and I am having some issues with the wiring of the dome light electronic piece ( compus ) The wire harness is the same but the wires are a different color and in different locations.

HELP I'M STUMPED!!!

95 Build/Rebuild
Unread 03-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
meadz
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thats awsome I got my 88 on cl in waterford for 400 less problems but still. Good luck getting it all worked out.
meadz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
SpartaSpartan
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Nice. I saw that one on CL but passed. Ended up paying twice as much for one that looks just like yours! Same damage to the front and rear bumpers and the same busted side mirror. My 4wd works great and the motor runs good, but needed front brakes and rotors, now a new wheel bearing and u joint on drivers front side. Rust is bad too no floorpans - how is the rust on yours?
SpartaSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have a few rusted out floor spots in my back seat area but I can stand in the areas and don't even go through. Also my rockers are rusted out. Depending on summer funds I may try to get new rockers installed along with some floor patching. I also need to replace my u joint for my front right wheel. You can really notice it when your in 4wd turning.

Currently I need to run in 4wd do to some major noise/rattle when in 2wd. When I pooped it in 4wd high the noise when away. Any possible fixes DIY for this?

Its nice to see other people from the same areas on forums like this.

95 Build/Rebuild

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.