Muddy97Cherokee's Build Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Muddy97Cherokee's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 07-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #91
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
How much of a pain was that to install? I think I might go with that instead of this HnT that's been sitting.
I'll also say it's easy if you have all the right tools. Getting the transfer case out was not to fun since there is not much room for a socket or full size box wrench for the top 2 nuts. Had to use a stubby and the jack on the transmission to get them loose. Lowering the drivetrain opens up a lot room also. Once it was out it was fairly easy. Impact made it really easy and quick. Snap and lock ring pliers help a lot and may be one if the most important tools to do the job. And a pick that is angled to do the oil pump easily. Once you get the shaft in I would test fit everything before RTV just to make sure. Key the RTV sit and it's ready to go back in. And its a lot quicker and easier to put it back on than taking it off.

BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:21 AM   #92
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee View Post
I'll also say it's easy if you have all the right tools. Getting the transfer case out was not to fun since there is not much room for a socket or full size box wrench for the top 2 nuts. Had to use a stubby and the jack on the transmission to get them loose. Lowering the drivetrain opens up a lot room also. Once it was out it was fairly easy. Impact made it really easy and quick. Snap and lock ring pliers help a lot and may be one if the most important tools to do the job. And a pick that is angled to do the oil pump easily. Once you get the shaft in I would test fit everything before RTV just to make sure. Key the RTV sit and it's ready to go back in. And its a lot quicker and easier to put it back on than taking it off.
Pretty sure the website says you don't even have to take the tcase out?
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:00 AM   #93
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post

Pretty sure the website says you don't even have to take the tcase out?
You don't have to but it makes working on it easier. There is not much room to really work on it under the jeep. Maybe if you used a hydraulic lift then it would be a bit easier. Taking it out was the best option for me.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #94
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Flexed it out for the first time since the SYE install and redone rear. Its maxed out in the front with more possible shock travel but the rear is a different story. Shocks are limiting me in the rear. Once the long arms go on and I can fully max it out to take measurements, I will buy new shocks.

BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Unread 08-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #95
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

LOOKING GREAT~! I need to do the SYE! I have access to a lift so if you say it can be done then I may look into getting one of those, Ive got some vibes that are just killing me.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #96
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
LOOKING GREAT~! I need to do the SYE! I have access to a lift so if you say it can be done then I may look into getting one of those, Ive got some vibes that are just killing me.
Thanks!

If it is your first time doing an SYE I would take it out of the jeep just to do it correctly and learn how to do it. It just seemed to be a lot easier when I had all the room I wanted. The space to do it under the jeep was not very much even when I had the transmission dropped pretty far down. Pulling it out also allows you to stand it upright making everything that much easier than having it angled down having things fall out. It isn't really all that hard to pull it. Its only 6 nuts that are not that torqued down.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #97
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

ya buddy! Look what came in today!
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #98
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I seen your jeep up at the auto place over there on HARVARD I was the one that stopped by with the red cherokee! not sure if you were there or not. some nice lookin jeeps up there man.
Unread 08-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #99
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I seen your jeep up at the auto place over there on HARVARD I was the one that stopped by with the red cherokee! not sure if you were there or not. some nice lookin jeeps up there man.
Really? When were you there? Got there around 4 since I had to drive from OKC. Was there with another red jeep that had yellow accents. Only remember 1 other red jeep and he went wheeling with us out at 209th. It was a fun time and a first for me on the RTI ramp. Are you in the Oklahoma Crawlers facebook group? That's all who was there.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Unread 08-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #100
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Got my IRO long arms on! It was another mod that took until the early morning hours to finish! I wanna say it was about 230 when I backed my jeep out and was drive able. Here's a before and after. Sorry about the second pic being dark.

Before:

After:

Haven't measured it to be completely correct but the RC 6.5 coils are probably putting me at almost 7".

The JK Rubicon shocks didn't work so i am borrowing my buddy's shocks that he had on his 6.5 X flex kit until I get new shocks.

After a long night it was then off to Tulsa for the flex competition and a little bit of night wheeling. This trip was the first long haul with the long arms since it was the very next day and not even 12 hours after I put the lift on. For the whole 2 and a half hour drive I was very caution as to what would happen since I hadn't got my jeep over 60 with the long arms. Turns out everything was just fine. Got up there and started taking my shocks off to measure what length my new ones need to be. The one thing that i didn't get, because of UPS' mistake, were my front brakelines and I needed them bad. unbolted the front lines and hoped that it was enough for me to flex to get measurements. And I think they were just enough.

If you look closely you can see my passenger brake line stretching like a guitar string. Also unseated the coil! I wanna say that is max and the measurements sound about right to my buddy who is also at 6.5 lift with LA. It scored 899 on a 20* RTI ramp. I say that my brake line could have been limiting me just a little.

After that it was off to do some night wheeling. Didn't get any pics of the terrain but it was just some steep muddy hill climbs, a creek some rocks and a big mud pond.
Here's my jeep next to my buddy's

His is 6.5 RC LA that got him 892 on the ramp. His is on 33's and mine is on 31's but I sit about even with his.

Here is the aftermath of the wheeling. Nothing broken yet, just real muddy, and I was trying to stay out of the mud. But i got lost and had to go through mud to get back to the main area.

For now I think that will be it for my jeep since college starts back up next week. The only thing that I can see going on my jeep is putting the stock flares and endcaps back on and that's it. Just gonna do some wheeling till next summer when I get my summer job back. And I already know what my next purchase will be!
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #101
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee View Post
Thanks!

If it is your first time doing an SYE I would take it out of the jeep just to do it correctly and learn how to do it. It just seemed to be a lot easier when I had all the room I wanted. The space to do it under the jeep was not very much even when I had the transmission dropped pretty far down. Pulling it out also allows you to stand it upright making everything that much easier than having it angled down having things fall out. It isn't really all that hard to pull it. Its only 6 nuts that are not that torqued down.
I just stopped by for a minute I seen all these wonderful xj's when I was with wifee and kid, and of course the wife was like "oh great, here we go" she knows when I get talking with jeepers its going to take awhile, but I was just in AWE over some of the jeeps up there. it looked fun, I didnt know that shop up there works on cherokees all the time. ill have to remember that. no I am not on the Facebook club, I dont have a Facebook account as crazy as that might sound. I just have no need yet for one.
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #102
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I just stopped by for a minute I seen all these wonderful xj's when I was with wifee and kid, and of course the wife was like "oh great, here we go" she knows when I get talking with jeepers its going to take awhile, but I was just in AWE over some of the jeeps up there. it looked fun, I didnt know that shop up there works on cherokees all the time. ill have to remember that. no I am not on the Facebook club, I dont have a Facebook account as crazy as that might sound. I just have no need yet for one.
Haha, I get the same thing when I start talking about jeeps to my buddies. Women like the jeep but hate how deep the discussions can get. 5 min can turn into an hour real quick lol. Just to let you know there is jeep night there at Total Car Care every Wednesday night. If you know BA XJ here on the forums, he is the admin for Oklahoma Crawlers.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #103
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Great lookin Jeep Muddy. I love how well it flexes. Should do great in your area. Keep up the good work.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #104
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Great lookin Jeep Muddy. I love how well it flexes. Should do great in your area. Keep up the good work.
Thanks, it's gotten me through everything I have put it through. Still haven't gotten it stuck. Haven't fully tested out the long arms yet.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #105
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I threw a hub bearing on my passenger side front axle. Started screeching like a cicada the other day and I couldn't tell if it were just dirt and rocks or a bearing. Took the rotor off and figured out it was a bearing. Also noticed that my lower caliper sleeve bolt has stripped out the threads on the knuckle so I will soon be doing the wj knuckle swap. It's a little awkward driving around OU's campus sounding like a giant cicada. It's cool that people are looking at my jeep as i drive by but I would like them to look at it for its looks not it's crazy sounds.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.