Muddy97Cherokee's Build Thread - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Muddy97Cherokee's Build Thread

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #196
Muddy97Cherokee
Broke College Jeeper

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well, finally back from vacationing! And back to earning money and putting it towards my jeep!

First thing I plan to do is the WJ knuckle swap 1 ton crossover steering. Already went to the junkyard and pulled WJ knuckles along with two new black fenders to replace my bent up ones and a new fiberglass header panel to replace my plastic Certi-Fit one. The donor I got the fenders and header from was in perfect condition and not sure why it was junked. I would have took the body and swap everything. Fenders have no dents and the header panel has some blemishes but it won't matter because it'll be monstalined soon.

As for the swap I have almost everything I need. Purchased JKS's flange spacers and track bar relocation bracket. And I went with RuffStuuf Specialties 1 ton GM crossover steering kit. And I also bought some DOM to make a new track bar. I will also be going Over the Knuckle. Got a lot of work ahead of me just for the steering but hopefully it all goes well. Still have to buy new Akebono calipers, slotted rotors and Durango steering box. Gonna have a lot of money into my steering but I know it'll be worth it! Everything is on its way though so I hope to have everything ready to put on next weekend or the week after.

BUILD THREAD
IG: zack_hstadt
-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #197
Muddy97Cherokee
Broke College Jeeper

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Gathered up all the parts I need to do my 1 ton OTK crossover steering WJ knuckle swap. Planning to put it all together this weekend and on labor day.

Then maybe next pay check I may go ahead and buy me my 35's. But will have to wait and see. Maybe bumpers, sliders, flares, Monstaliner, or etc. It'll be something, I know that much.
BUILD THREAD
-ZACK
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #198
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee View Post
Gathered up all the parts I need to do my 1 ton OTK crossover steering WJ knuckle swap. Planning to put it all together this weekend and on labor day.

Then maybe next pay check I may go ahead and buy me my 35's. But will have to wait and see. Maybe bumpers, sliders, flares, Monstaliner, or etc. It'll be something, I know that much.
Awesome, take plenty of pics! This is on my to do list.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #199
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What knuckles are those? Stock WJ?
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #200
Muddy97Cherokee
Broke College Jeeper

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
What knuckles are those? Stock WJ?
Yup. Only thing that's not new. Aftermarket gets pricey for knuckles.
BUILD THREAD
-ZACK
Unread 08-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #201
Muddy97Cherokee
Broke College Jeeper

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post

Awesome, take plenty of pics! This is on my to do list.
Will do.
BUILD THREAD
-ZACK
Unread 08-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #202
DNFJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Can't wait to see that.

[SIZE="1"]Previous:
'00 TJ 2" on 33" Grabbers
'00 XJ 6.5" on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2" on 31" Baja Claws
'93 ZJ - Stock, Totaled[/SIZE]
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #203
Muddy97Cherokee
Broke College Jeeper

1997 XJ Cherokee 

So I'm finally back and may be a little more active on the forum, or hope to be. Been really busy with college, work, and my personal life and not much has happened or changed on my jeep. Still haven't done my WJ knuckle swap but plan to do it soon, hopefully when i get the time. But I have gone wheeling a couple times. Here are some pics.

My buddy in his TJ sort of ran into a tree

Then i got a little stuck.

Broke my taillight and smashed in my hatch in that hole.

Then got some snow and had to take some pics

And my new wheeling partner and hunting dog who loves my jeep to the point where she lives in it when she can

And bought some goodies on black friday. JCR DIY rear bumper that i welded up

Went doorless on campus and turned a lot of heads. And found a jeep to park next to before class

And that other Black Friday goodie finally arrived and I installed it. DirtBound Offroad Manta Ray winch bumper. Had to test the clearance and mall crawl a bit.

Also added some other small stuff but not much. Not where i would think i would have it at this time but life first and jeep second; even as much as I want my jeep to be first.
Seems that the head gasket is blown now though. And the rear main seal is leaking as well as the oil filter adapter. I plan on fixing those problems as well as replacing my popping ball joints within the next week. Planning on going to Arbuckle Offroad park on the 28th and plan to wheel my jeep pretty hard. And also get some good pictures of my jeep since I lack that while I wheel. And hopefully get my steering lined out and installed when I get the time to.
BUILD THREAD
-ZACK
Unread 02-20-2015, 11:49 PM   #204
Muddy97Cherokee
Broke College Jeeper

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Did all the ball joints tonight. First step in getting my jeep back to 100%. And ordered the master gasket set so I can knock out the Headgasket and Rear Main Seal. Hopefully that'll be in soon and I can get that done before I go wheel on the 28th.
BUILD THREAD
-ZACK
Unread 02-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #205
Muddy97Cherokee
Broke College Jeeper

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Went and did a quick little shake down run before i go wheeling again to some unknown terrain next weekend. Was our 3rd Annual Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers outing. Had a quite a few unibodies show up.

And got caught up on some rocks and scraped up my long arms real good.

Resting completely on the long arms and both front tires hanging in the air.

Then found a good little spot to get flexed out at. Pretty much max but have a tad more droop in the front. Rear has more droop but couldn't get it too.

Jeep ended up running and performing just fine. New ball joints held up great and no more popping! And the headgasket and freeze plug held up fine for the most part. Seems ready for some harder terrain in my opinion once I do do the headgasket, freeze plug, and rear main on Wednesday. On the way home the freeze plug and radiator cap did blow out and I lost most my fluid but limped it home to get some water in it to make it to work(AutoZone). Pulled the lower radiator hose to drain it all, its currently 5 degrees outside, and threw in some stop leak and new antifreeze till I get it all sorted out. Sucks that it would happen 48 hours before I would fix it though. But next step in build, fix the engine.
BUILD THREAD
-ZACK
Unread 02-23-2015, 01:21 AM   #206
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bigger tires will fix that hang up
Great progress with your XJ!
indeepwithajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 12:19 AM   #207
Muddy97Cherokee
Broke College Jeeper

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Got a little snow a few days ago. And some more today.

And I did the Headgasket and swapped out the rear freeze plug.

Everything went nice and smooth removing and reinstalling everything. Turned the key afterwards and it started right up on the first turn. Was so ecstatic. Let it burn through most the gaskets then shut it off for the night cause it was 2 in the morning. Started it the next morning and started right up. Then did an oil changed and hooked up the exhaust. Let it run for 10 more minutes after a short test drive then it died on me. Thought I royally screwed up and blew it all. Couldnt get it to turn over. It would just crank and crank and never turn over or fire on 1 cylinder. Spent 6 hours going over everything I did and cheking everything. I had a friend check the spark and he said it was fine; that was when we first started looking for the problem. Then I checked the spark 6 hours later and found out it was barely sparking. Figured the ignition coil was bad so I replaced it. Then boom, got it to fire on a cylinder or two. Just had to reset the timing cause we thought it might have skipped a tooth before hand. Got the timing right and it started right up. Its now running perfect and has never ran better. The coil picked the worst time to go out after replacing the headgasket.

And now after the engine is running perfect, I find I now have a terrible axle grinding noise. Time to chase that down. Think it may be my pinion bearings and hoping it's not my transfer case. Then maybe I could find some money to add some 35's
BUILD THREAD
-ZACK
Unread 02-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #208
Muddy97Cherokee
Broke College Jeeper

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Got more snow today! Went and played a little today and drove around to check out the roads. The Jeep started up perfect in the single digit temps earlier And it ran like a champ all day. I'm finally feeling really confident about my jeep after doing my Headgasket. This weekend I plan on finally re-installing the downstream O2 sensor that I've been putting off for a long time now.
Anyway here's a pic pic of my jeep when I was warming it up today.
BUILD THREAD
-ZACK
Unread 03-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #209
Muddy97Cherokee
Broke College Jeeper

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Got more snow today. Closed tonight at work and the roads had already started to ice and have snow build up here in OK. And with no plow/sand/salt trucks running around, the roads had gotten pretty bad at 9:30. Had some idiot pull out in front of me leaving me no room to stop or slow down for him. Ended up avoiding T-boning him but bent my rim in the process. Slid into a tall curb going at least 20 mph. Also bent my track bar or something because my axle is not centered anymore and is a good 2" to the driver side.
BUILD THREAD
-ZACK
Unread 03-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #210
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looking sexy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.