Mountain Biking Cherokee Owners... whats your ride? - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Mountain Biking Cherokee Owners... whats your ride?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #406
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Judy and DH... 2 terms that never should have been put together.

I must say, that Brodie Rocket was a sweet ride. CroMo tubing, hand brazed in Vancouver still too. It rode like a dream, and even though those V brakes were taking a little of my rim off every time I stopped, it was fun up and down.

While waxing all nostalgic here, I must confess that I truly do love (LOVE) the Air and Oil RS Lyric I have with the Carbon Fiber Juicy 8" brakes and 6+6 of travel all under 34 pounds. While the old days were pretty sweet (with the possible exception of the Trek Y bikes) the new days arent so bad either?

Still wish I hadn't sold the Brodie.

On a side note, got a message from my dad's GF... she wants me to sell her size small 1995 ish Rocky Mountain Hammer Race. Factory RM yellow and burgundy, in NEW condition. Probably saw 10 rides. Too bad it is like a 17 and I need a 19?

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #407
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Bah, I'm like 6' 0.5" tall and ride a medium/16. I muchmuchmuch prefer the increased agility and climbing it provides me over an 18 or 19 that I "should" be riding. I've been seeing people accept down-sizing more and more lately. I moved my saddle back a little extra, use a longish stem that's lowered just a little extra, and use 180mm crank. I'm almost too fast in technical, twisty singletrack now--when I raced, I'd find myself forced to slow-down and wait because you can't really pass in those situations. Though in some areas where the boundaries were a bit wider, I'd get too impatient and pass by simply riding clear off the trail to get around.

If you want it, ask her if you can experiment with it a little before selling it to see if you can get it to work for you or not. Nothing to lose but time, right?

Judy DH--80 mm of travel! WHOOOAOAAOAOOO!
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #408
Wmhurt
2007 XK Commander 

92 Cadex CFM2 carbon fiber with aluminum lugs
Wmhurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #409
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
The bicycle industry is a funny thing. "Innovations" are not done to create a better bike, but to convince the gullible that their old bike is hopelessly outdated and that they need to buy a new one.

Take headsets and bottom brackets as an example.

10 years ago, the bearings on the headsets were in larger, external cups, and the bottom bracket bearings were internal, inside the bottom bracket shell.

Now, we're supposed to believe it makes more sense to move the headset bearings inside the head tube (often riding on a non-replaceable surface that's part of the head tube itself!) and the bottom bracket bearings have moved to external, larger cups, and that's supposed to be better. Like we were having problems with external cup headsets or internal bottom brackets!

Disc brakes are the cat's anus if you ride in mud or the wet a lot. But if you don't, your old-school rim brakes will work just fine. I really miss my old canti brakes - if you know how to set them up, you get the kind of modulation that discs provide, but they're lighter, cheaper and simpler than disc brakes. I could do easy one-finger nose wheelies on my MTB when it still had front canti brakes... I miss them (can't find a modern shock fork set up to use cantis any longer...).
Don't even talk about disk brakes. I hate them. I work in a bike shop and they get bend so easily. Then hydrolic brakes are even worse.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.