MJ Bed Liner - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-16-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
andrewswen

MJ Bed Liner

I've been thinking of buying an MJ. I want a Jeep, but I also want a truck. So I figured an MJ would soot just fine. The one I'm looking at does not have a bed liner. Any of you guys and gals know where I might find a plastic drop in liner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-16-2016, 03:36 PM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Don't do a drop-in. You'll just rust the bed out. Attend to any rust, scuff it, and use paint on bedliner. It'll last you much longer.

D3<!L!>3D
post #3 of 12 Old 04-16-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
andrewswen

I don't like the look of paint-on, spray-on, or roll-on bed liners; they also don't protect from dents very well. If you do the proper zinc prep before installing a plastic drop in you'll never have a rust issue. Plus a drop in can be removed if needed.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-16-2016, 10:35 PM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm thinking you'll be doing some hunting, and end up being the source when the second person comes around looking for one.

D3<!L!>3D
post #5 of 12 Old 04-17-2016, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
andrewswen

I think you're spot on with that thought! Beginning to think that buying an MJ may prove to be more stress than fun; parts are non-existent, and there are only three nation wide in the pick-n-pull database.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-17-2016, 09:24 AM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Depending on how tall you are, they're not that comfortable either. It reminded me of being crammed in a go-cart.

D3<!L!>3D
post #7 of 12 Old 04-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1. Any mid size pick up liner for a short bed will work. My MJ has a drop in liner. I don't use it, but it was on there when I bought it and despite all kinds of crap under it there's virtually no rust in the bed.
2. The only parts for an MJ that a pain in the *** to find are rear tail light housings. Otherwise, from the cab forward they're identical to XJs other than some slight differences to the uniframe for strength purposes, but they don't effect parts. For the rear the suspension set up is a bit different (spring under axle, longer driveshaft, longer leaf springs), but otherwise XJ parts are a direct fit for brakes, shackles, ect. There are a few companies that manufacture MJ leaf springs, but since they're longer and in most cases never carried much weight they tend not to be worn out like XJ springs.
3. You won't find many MJs in parts databases because they simply didn't make that many. Iirc only around 30k were ever made. In 91 they only made 5000 and only 2000 in 92. They got rid of them early into production to keep Dodge Dakota sales up. Like I mentioned previously though, there's no real lack of MJ parts.
4. I'm 6'3" and my only issue is you can't lean the seat back far enough due to the cab shape, but other than that they're no less comfortable than an XJ imo. You have the same amount of leg room. Though that's going off mine which has bucket seats and not a bench seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-17-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
andrewswen

I just went and looked at the truck today. Man is it a piece of crap! But...after driving it I can tell this thing would out drive any of my past Toyota pickups. It's got Dana 30 on the front and back, which sucks.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-17-2016, 04:05 PM
Motorcharge
Bandeded

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewswen View Post
It's got Dana 30 on the front and back, which sucks.
Every XJ and MJ ever built in the US came with a Dana 30 front. What size tires do you plan on running that the D30 is a problem?

There's no such thing as a Dana 30 rear. There's a Dana 35, which yeah, sucks for offroad use. On a DD or light off road use they're fine. There are bolt in Dana 44s for MJs though and rear axle swap on an MJ is pretty damn easy because the u-bolt plates have the shock mounts on them.

Quote:
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-17-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
andrewswen

You are absolutely correct, it has a D35 in the rear...my bad.

I personally have never broken an axle, but I've also never used tires bigger than 31". People get talking and I follow the hype...sorry.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-18-2016, 01:53 PM
bluejunior
Hold my beer

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewswen View Post
You are absolutely correct, it has a D35 in the rear...my bad.

I personally have never broken an axle, but I've also never used tires bigger than 31". People get talking and I follow the hype...sorry.
35's aren't quite as bad as everyone says, but I'd still never put money into one.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
Build
post #12 of 12 Old 04-18-2016, 02:43 PM
Motorcharge
Bandeded

I wouldnt either, but they'll handle 31s just fine.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.