Mishimoto R&D: Jeep XJ Performance Radiator - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 06-28-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Mishimoto
Vendor

Lightbulb Mishimoto R&D: Jeep XJ Performance Radiator

Hi everybody,

Mishimoto is in the process of developing a performance radiator for the Jeep XJ Cherokee! As some of you may know, we try to be open and transparent with our engineering process and we love to hear your feedback along the way. We're pretty far along in the process for this radiator, so a lot of this thread will be a recap, but we'd still love to hear what you all think! I should have an update for you in the next week or so, but I wanted to start the discussion ASAP.

We look forward to hearing everyone's feedback!

-Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-28-2017, 02:05 PM
Newtons3

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My dream radiator would be an all-welded, all metal, thick two-row or three-row radiator that mounted in stock location and accepted all factory fans, fittings etc. Any heat exchanger that will get rid of more heat than the factory radiator will be an upgrade.
post #3 of 33 Old 06-29-2017, 08:23 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons3 View Post
My dream radiator would be an all-welded, all metal, thick two-row or three-row radiator that mounted in stock location and accepted all factory fans, fittings etc.
This is pretty much why my cash went to champion a couple weeks ago for the welded aluminum two-row. It's the ideal list, especially the factory fittings part. There always seem to be a problem with the fill neck, or the trans lines don't match up or something. Even champion wasn't perfect, though. Didn't connect to my A/C condenser properly.

I abuse the crap out of my cooling system and would've volunteered to be a test rig if I hadn't just bought a new one lol.

Edit: Additional thought: an accessible drain petcock that is sturdy enough that you're not scared to use it is another great improvement over stock.
cl700 likes this.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 Old 06-29-2017, 10:31 AM
Newtons3

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My Champion was sturdy and effective enough in my TJ. Not compatible with factory fan and clutch. Also had poor fit with the mounting holes to the header panel and the nutserts for the fan shroud. Ditto on the petcock. FWIW.....pipe bung. That way I can conveniently extend my drain to a point where I can 1. reach it 2. Not get AF everywhere and 3. not fumble and drop the drain plug.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-29-2017, 11:30 AM
xjpete
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I hope its worth it-Years ago I bought a well know manufacturer radiator and it lasted maybe 1 year. 3 row and looked great, but didn't last.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ purchased Sept 2014
post #6 of 33 Old 06-29-2017, 04:18 PM
Devil15

A stock radiator is 100 bucks roughly. If you make the badest *** one ever since the beginning of time and charge 500 for it I could replace my radiator 5 times for the price difference. If you build a quality unit that doesn't have any of the flaws mentioned above that works well and doesn't fail in half the time for a reasonable price they will sell, and word will spread about them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #7 of 33 Old 06-29-2017, 06:27 PM
Jeepkruzer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil15 View Post
If you build a quality unit that doesn't have any of the flaws mentioned above that works well and doesn't fail in half the time for a reasonable price they will sell, and word will spread about them.
Maybe....but I just wouldn't be too sure on that.
99.9% of automotive repair shops just buy a replacement part from their main supplier and don't care if the part is made in China, Mexico, or Timbucktoo.
There USED to be good aftermarket radiator suppliers. Back in the day, Modine was a brand you could trust. They (for the most part, at least in Automotive radiators) have left the market. Most OEM radiators are built for a few years and then are discontinued, because of the price, I assume.
I guess I'm part of the .1% who will buy a quality aftermarket radiator as I have one in my '96 Cherokee.
The name of the radiator will remain anonymous, because they aren't paying me to advertise for them.
post #8 of 33 Old 06-29-2017, 07:09 PM
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkruzer View Post
The name of the radiator will remain anonymous, because they aren't paying me to advertise for them.
lolwut

Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
post #9 of 33 Old 06-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Devil15

I wasn't saying I and others wouldn't spend more on a quality part. I was more stating that sometimes companies go a little too crazy with there pricing. That's great if it's solid gold and gives you a hand job while your driving, but if only 3 people buy it they stop making it. Then niether the company nor the consumer benefits. A solid, reliable, well built product, at a reasonable cost will sell. I personally don't mind spending more if it's an upgrade but a product can reach a point of an unsustainable price. I hope that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #10 of 33 Old 06-29-2017, 07:16 PM
xjpete
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I bought my radiator after reading about reviews in magazines years ago. When my radiator leaked in my XJ, I thought no problem I got an aftermarket radiator still in the box that is built really strong and will last. I will just put that in and problem solved. No-I was mistaken. It leaked and the neck rotted away-that was after 2 flushes. It pissed coolant one day and when I went to check it out, neck was split from the rot and was very disappointed. I wont pay top $$ for something like that again.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ purchased Sept 2014
post #11 of 33 Old 06-30-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Mishimoto
Vendor

Quote:
My dream radiator would be an all-welded, all metal, thick two-row or three-row radiator that mounted in stock location and accepted all factory fans, fittings etc. Any heat exchanger that will get rid of more heat than the factory radiator will be an upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
This is pretty much why my cash went to champion a couple weeks ago for the welded aluminum two-row. It's the ideal list, especially the factory fittings part. There always seem to be a problem with the fill neck, or the trans lines don't match up or something. Even champion wasn't perfect, though. Didn't connect to my A/C condenser properly.

I abuse the crap out of my cooling system and would've volunteered to be a test rig if I hadn't just bought a new one lol.

Edit: Additional thought: an accessible drain petcock that is sturdy enough that you're not scared to use it is another great improvement over stock.
I think you'll be very happy with what we have to offer then Sorry we missed you bluejunior. If you end up needing a new rad in the future, I think you'll find a lot to like in ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjpete View Post
I hope its worth it-Years ago I bought a well know manufacturer radiator and it lasted maybe 1 year. 3 row and looked great, but didn't last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjpete View Post
I bought my radiator after reading about reviews in magazines years ago. When my radiator leaked in my XJ, I thought no problem I got an aftermarket radiator still in the box that is built really strong and will last. I will just put that in and problem solved. No-I was mistaken. It leaked and the neck rotted away-that was after 2 flushes. It pissed coolant one day and when I went to check it out, neck was split from the rot and was very disappointed. I wont pay top $$ for something like that again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil15 View Post
A stock radiator is 100 bucks roughly. If you make the badest *** one ever since the beginning of time and charge 500 for it I could replace my radiator 5 times for the price difference. If you build a quality unit that doesn't have any of the flaws mentioned above that works well and doesn't fail in half the time for a reasonable price they will sell, and word will spread about them.
We'll definitely be looking to keep these rads in a reasonable price point; the best part about these threads (aside from the awesome writing, of course) is that you'll also be the first to know about the discounted pre-sale, which normally runs about 30% off. We have plans to make this rad very sturdy and reliable for daily, off-road and racing use and we also back all of our radiators with a lifetime warranty, including accident protection. So, this should be one radiator that you can actually install and forget.

Hoping to have updates out soon!

-Steve
post #12 of 33 Old 06-30-2017, 02:25 PM
Newtons3

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to it. My experience with Mishimoto in the past is centered around sport-compacts and is all positive. My experience around aluminum radiators in Jeeps is mixed and I hope you can remedy that.
post #13 of 33 Old 07-03-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Mishimoto
Vendor

Quote:
Looking forward to it. My experience with Mishimoto in the past is centered around sport-compacts and is all positive. My experience around aluminum radiators in Jeeps is mixed and I hope you can remedy that.
That's good to hear, I think we'll be able to live up to your expectations!

-Steve
post #14 of 33 Old 07-10-2017, 10:01 PM
azlivn

I've parked my xj until cooler weather for the time being.... was searching around numerous forums and it appears there is no one good answer when it comes to radiators and that's not even throwing fans into the mix. I was leaning toward an all aluminum piece, but man.... not a lot of good reviews. Ive seen XJs with 3 core rads, and two of them I noted the fan clutch had rubbed the radiator fins. All I know is my ride isn't happy in the 120+ degree temps I live in. Will be watching this...
post #15 of 33 Old 07-12-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Mishimoto
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlivn View Post
I've parked my xj until cooler weather for the time being.... was searching around numerous forums and it appears there is no one good answer when it comes to radiators and that's not even throwing fans into the mix. I was leaning toward an all aluminum piece, but man.... not a lot of good reviews. Ive seen XJs with 3 core rads, and two of them I noted the fan clutch had rubbed the radiator fins. All I know is my ride isn't happy in the 120+ degree temps I live in. Will be watching this...
Hopefully you'll be more impressed by our product! I'll have an update today or tomorrow everybody!

Thanks,

-Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.