Milton's Other Jeep Build - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Milton's Other Jeep Build

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 09-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #106
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Good start

I know you were concerned about cutting the u-bolts near the axle tube, but you don't usually have to go all the way through them before they break. Just get most of the way through, then a couple whacks with your BFH and a chisel and they should break nicely. That way you don't have to worry about gouging the tubes. Nothing wrong with your method either, but I've had enough trouble with those u-bolts that I figured I'd mention it.

donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #107
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Okay - got the new springs in so the XJ is back in service.
This is where I left off last night:

It was't as bad as I thought - but it wasn't easy. The front eye bolts were not budging after days of PBB and the airgun at max torque. I had to get a 1/2" drive 15" breaker bar and some MAP gas and torch tip.

After heating the crap outta the bolt and wackin the **** outta the breaker bar with a BFH I was able to get 'em out

Once I had them out I was able to see that the front bolts I had weren't gonna work - wrong thread. So I made a trip accross town to a dealer for these:

I took a pic with them in the packaging for anybody needing a part # for reference.

Once I got the old springs out it was time to lather everything with anti-sieze (I dabbed some in the front eye nutsert as well):

With everything lubed up I started with the front eye (hand tight); then the u-bolts/plate/disco connection (again hand tight); then finnagled the rear into the shackle. Using handy jackwork under the pumpkin will enable an easy alignment while you pull on the rear of the spring and hammer home the shackle into position:

Once that's done I jacked up the pumpkin to "load" the springs and finish cranking all the bolts down:

I didn't take any before measurements so after measurements are pointless. I think to the naked eye the backend boosted up a bit - not much - but the sag is gone. I had to go pick the pup up from the vet so I figured what better way to take it for a test spin.

The rear springs aren't exactly a soft ride but who cares? They don't sag, they seem to hold weight better than the tired stocker/AAL, they have a built in 4* shim that puts my pinion at a better angle, and they're brand new

Oh - and when I got home from the vet the guy in the brown truck had dropped a nice piece of security at my door..............

Until next time..............................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #108
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
The beginning of the weekend I pulled the new springs out of the back seats of the XJ and decided to spruce them up.

They've never been installed but they've been sitting in a shop for a couple years collecting dust, a little surface rust, and spiderweb/eggs So I sanded them a bit, wiped 'em down, and shot 'em with some Rustoleum.

Tonight, I spent about an hour while I had time to start into this project.
I started hitting all the bolts everyday with a healthy dose of the PBB the beginning of the week so they've been "loosening up" for a handful of days.

The first thing I did was get the rig jacked up on the unirails, got the rear wheels outta the way, and supported the axle at full droop with more jackstands:

Then I disco'd the sway bar links:

I know alot of guys say to get rid of it but I'll probably keep it in place for now as I don't have a front sway bar and I wanna see how this thing dollies on my next trip before I mess with removing it.

The next thing I did was cut the posts on the u-bolts down with a 4.5" angle grinder & cut-off wheel. I did this so I could get the deepwell socket on the nuts with the airgun. Otherwise the threads were too long-winded to get a socket to the nuts:

I realize I could have just cut the u-bolts under the wrap of the axle since I don't plan to reuse them - but honestly, cutting anything right up against the axle tubes didn't sit well with me.

That's it for now as it was all I had time to get into. I got all the u-bolts zipped off but that's where I stopped. Tomorrow I'll get the old springs removed (barring any sticking points - word is that front eye bolt can be a booger). Probably going to make a run to the local Fastenal to get replacement front eye bolts and, fingers crossed, get this project knocked out with the new springs installed. So far, PB Blaster and airtools are getting the job done great.........................
I put a tire iron on my front eye bolts while 2 people torquing on it...nothing and the second guy trains mma so is pretty much a walking muscle. Good luck to you I hope you don't run in to this but if you did it would help me out with deciding what to do
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #109
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshharris98xj

I put a tire iron on my front eye bolts while 2 people torquing on it...nothing and the second guy trains mma so is pretty much a walking muscle. Good luck to you I hope you don't run in to this but if you did it would help me out with deciding what to do
Scratch this haha
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #110
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshharris98xj View Post
That sounds like a recipe for a twisted off bolt head.

If I hadn't used a torch on the front eye bolt I don't think it was coming out.

There were a handful of "hafta-haves" for this project and heat was one of them.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #111
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

That sounds like a recipe for a twisted off bolt head.

If I hadn't used a torch on the front eye bolt I don't think it was coming out.

There were a handful of "hafta-haves" for this project and heat was one of them.
How did you heat it up though the spring is in the way of the bolt it's self, I have a little butane torch
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #112
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshharris98xj

How did you heat it up though the spring is in the way of the bolt it's self, I have a little butane torch
Just heat the crap outta the bolt head. The bolt will transfer the heat accross the shank of the bolt itself.

I'd invest in a bottle of MAP gas and torch tip. The MAP will get hotter faster and transfer heat better.

And keep a spray bottle of water nearby incase the bushings ignite - mine smoked up pretty good but never caught fire.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #113
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Just heat the crap outta the bolt head. The bolt will transfer the heat accross the shank of the bolt itself.

I'd invest in a bottle of MAP gas and torch tip. The MAP will get hotter faster and transfer heat better.

And keep a spray bottle of water nearby incase the bushings ignite - mine smoked up pretty good but never caught fire.
Alrighty tonight when I get off I'll give it a go, I appreciate it wish me luck. I'll shoot my self in the head if I have to open up the frame rail
Unread 09-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #114
JeepN4KC

This morning I took to the task of installing the Tomken fuel tank skid that was delivered a couple days ago. I decided on this skid for a couple reasons. The cost was good as I got it from a vendor on JF for for a good price including shipping. As well, the way it mounts is front and rear of the fuel tank so I wouldn't have to dismount and remount the hitch (which was a complete PITA the first go around).

As it turns out, I had to pull the hitch off anyway in order to install this skid plate. Once I got it in place w/ a couple bolts to test fit it I realized a couple other modifications would be needed. First I had to get rid of the heat shield on the passenger side of the fuel tank. Then, I had to cut the tailpipe back because it just wasn't gonna work:

After that was out of the way I tightened everything down:

Then tucked the hitch back up (which was actually pretty easy this time):

And for anyone needing/wanting to know if the Tomken fuel tank skid fits with a factory hitch - the finished product:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #115
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

nice build so far! Sub'd
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #116
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie564 View Post
nice build so far! Sub'd
Thanks bud!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #117
JeepN4KC

Been having a knocking/thumping feeling/noise under the driver floorboard since that wheelin trip. Mostly on ignition start up. I've searched JF, NAXJA, www, etc. and found everything from tranny mounts to motor mounts to ujoints to exhaust hangers to CA bushings to blah, blah, blah. I've crawled all over the underside of this thing looking, grabbing, pulling, shaking trying to get an idea of the culprit. This morning I noticed the exhaust hanger pin coming off the trans mount has snapped off at the exhaust tube. Now, when I put the belly pan in I knew the exhaust basically sat right on the pan - but I didn't have any knock/thump until recently.

Anyway - I'm gonna see about prying the exhaust off the belly pan later today and see if that resolves the issue.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #118
zachndorsett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

how did you mount the spotlight on your windshield?
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #119
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachndorsett View Post
how did you mount the spotlight on your windshield?
It's mounted through the A-post and I didn't do it - PO did.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #120
JeepN4KC

I still haven't resolved the floorboard rumble but I suspect this is what's causing it:

The belly pan really tucks up in there and you can see where the hanger broke off - I thought of welding it back but it wouldn't pull the exhaust off the skid anyway. I gave the exhaust tube some pretty good prying and whacks with a heavy soft mallet but I couldn't get it off the skid and I really don't wanna manipulate it with too much force because I don't wanna crack the exhaust.

I crawled under the Jeep and had my fingers on the tranny mount bolts while I hit the remote starter and I don't feel a rattle on the bolt/nuts. I don't necessarily feel it on the point of contact of exhaust/belly pan either though Guess I'll have to deal with it for now.

The other day I was helping a friend with a motor install on a CJ and he happened to have a bellhousing dust shield laying around which was perfect because mine was AWOL.

I picked up the hardware for it this morning. I searched all over the forums and www to track down the bolt size to no avail. So I went diggin through the garage and found a random bolt that fit the threads in the flange.
They are M8x1.25 for anybody needing to know and the length is pretty much to your choosing.

So I made this:

Look like this:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.