Milton's Other Jeep Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Milton's Other Jeep Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #91
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachndorsett
Not sure, when i ordered it, about 2 months ago, it came with the n2.0 shocks. 3" kit with new leafs
The x series in the x flex joints in the 4.5" so that could probably be why, I also got 8 u bolts I think it might have something to do with the 8.25 or the 35 but that's a wild guess

Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #92
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachndorsett
Not sure, when i ordered it, about 2 months ago, it came with the n2.0 shocks. 3" kit with new leafs
Also - I don't think RC includes a tcase drop until over 3" of lift on their kits.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #93
JeepN4KC

I did some tinkering under the XJ yesterday and today giving the tcase linkage a lookover. I loosened the 13mm tightening bolt and the shifter rod doesn't slide in the bracket. Gonna give it a couple days of PB Blaster to see if it helps. I gave the shifter a pretty good workout along with the tcase in a parking lot across the street. Everything seems to be going in/out of 2hi/4hi/N/4lo okay but I am getting some "chatter" from somewhere under the rig. I can't tell if it's from the tcase or the front end and it's not constant or consistant. IDK - this could all be in my head since I installed the bellypan ...........

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #94
JeepN4KC

So - I got everything put together yesterday for wheelin on Saturday. Gave it a good test drive all over today. The WK pulls it just fine but I will say the drive to the ORV park will be slow and steady as the XJ wants to start swaying above 60mph. This could be the first and last time I bother with a dolly - idk - I'll see how it goes but I'm anticipating a long drive

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #95
JeepN4KC

Finally got a chance to give this thing a go and, stretch it's legs, and put the locker to the test out on the trails! The WK did great pulling the XJ on the dolly - made some adjustments and moved all my gear/spares weight to the rear of the WK t ground the rear axle better. That dolly set-up has zero to negative tongue weight but I noticed with more air outta the front tires of the XJ it can cinch further forward on the dolly which also helped. Anyway, the drive was fine - averaged just under 65mph on the cruise and never swayed

KS Rocks was muddy so all the trail difficulties bumped up. The rig did great and a couple of the "blacks" we couldn't do were on climbs and the mud/rock combo didn't help - if it were dry the XJ would have been unstoppable.

The aftermath back at the homestead:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #96
JeepN4KC

I like a good dirty Jeep but I don't like it to stay dirty. It's just a thing with me - looks awesome when it's a fresh paint job of mud - rather not leave it stuck to everything. So, today a cleaned up the outside and underside:

forumrunner_20120909_171332.jpg

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #97
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Like the new build man!

Question on towing with the Dolly. I pulled the TJ with the commander on a full trailer the otehr weekend and it swayed terrible. For the trip to SMORR next week I rented a dolly in hopes it will be better. Do you have any advice on this?

Thanks man

Lee
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #98
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Like the new build man!

Question on towing with the Dolly. I pulled the TJ with the commander on a full trailer the otehr weekend and it swayed terrible. For the trip to SMORR next week I rented a dolly in hopes it will be better. Do you have any advice on this?

Thanks man

Lee
Thanks Lee, and first off - I wanna thank you for the heads-up on SMORR this weekend but it just wasn't gonna workout. I'd like to try and get down there the first weekend in October.

As far as the dolly. Depending on the TJ's tire size you might have trouble finding net/basket straps big enough to fit the tires. I got lucky and found some adjustable 10K lb wheel straps at a local farm supply. If you can't find any you could probably just take ratchet straps around the circumference of the tire front to back. Regardless - I would advise backing that up with some sort of chain/axle strap/draw down buckle combo. I wish I'd taken pics of the actual XJ to dolly set-up but I didn't. Another thing I did was tie down the front bumper d-rings to the dolly and loaded the front suspension slightly to try and minimize bouncing and swaying.

I'd go ahead and air down the front tires to put on the dolly too because the less air in those the more forward on the dolly your TJ front axle will cinch. The other thing I did was put as much weight as I could over the rear axle of the WK in order to keep it "grounded." All this amounted to was throwing both rigs' spares and all recovery gear and cooler in the back of the folded down seats (it was just my brother and I so we only needed the front seats).

The reason I did this was the dolly set-up was putting either no tongue weight or slight upward/negative tongue weight on the WK - which can definately translate to swaying. Oh - and don't forget to throw a cheap set of magnetic trailer lights on the TJ.

Good luck, man, hope you have a blast down there - send some pics my way when you get a chance.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #99
zachndorsett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

im still in love with that front bumper, but the jeep looks badass!
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #100
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachndorsett View Post
im still in love with that front bumper, but the jeep looks badass!
You're too kind................. now stop drooling on my Jeep

lol........ thanks dude!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #101
JeepN4KC

Picked up some goodies for the XJ today

Rough Country pn# 8024 full leaf packs (3-3.5" of lift depending what catalog ya look) New spring eye bolts (not sure I'll be able to use the ones for the front eye.) New u-bolts and hardware. Got 'em from a buddy that bought the springs for an XJ but never installed them. He's an old salty-dog Jeeper that used to run his own Jeep shop back in the day. He's got every tool known to man and parts galore.

Anyway, these new springs will hopefully set a nice rake to the Jeep and erase the sagging AALs. Really looking forward to this project as I've never tackled leaf springs before........

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #102
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Really looking forward to this project as I've never tackled leaf springs before........
Two words: Good luck!

PS: Nice build so far, keep up the good work!
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #103
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthelegend

Two words: Good luck!

PS: Nice build so far, keep up the good work!
Lol........I sense a bit of contrite experience in your well wishes ;-) Got any insight or advice? I've heard to set the forward eye bolts first, then the axle, then the aft.
Gonna research best I can and take my time w/ it. My timeline is to have these in by the first weekend in October for a wheelin trip down to SMORR so no rush.

And thanks for noticing the work in my build. :-)

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #104
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Getting the new ones in is easy (the order you mentioned matches what I've used in the past), its getting the old ones out thats a royal PITA. Have a torch handy, you will need it to get those front bolts out. Lots of PB blaster can't hurt but both times I've tackled original leaf springs, I've had to cut them out, then use lots of heat to finish getting the cut/broken bolt out of the frame the rest of the way. And as always, a healthy amount of anti-sieze when everything goes back together to make things easier next time.

I'm sure you'll get it done, but those front bolts really suck. Have new ones ready to go in, they are about 8 bucks apiece from the dealer IIRC.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #105
JeepN4KC

The beginning of the weekend I pulled the new springs out of the back seats of the XJ and decided to spruce them up.

They've never been installed but they've been sitting in a shop for a couple years collecting dust, a little surface rust, and spiderweb/eggs So I sanded them a bit, wiped 'em down, and shot 'em with some Rustoleum.

Tonight, I spent about an hour while I had time to start into this project.
I started hitting all the bolts everyday with a healthy dose of the PBB the beginning of the week so they've been "loosening up" for a handful of days.

The first thing I did was get the rig jacked up on the unirails, got the rear wheels outta the way, and supported the axle at full droop with more jackstands:

Then I disco'd the sway bar links:

I know alot of guys say to get rid of it but I'll probably keep it in place for now as I don't have a front sway bar and I wanna see how this thing dollies on my next trip before I mess with removing it.

The next thing I did was cut the posts on the u-bolts down with a 4.5" angle grinder & cut-off wheel. I did this so I could get the deepwell socket on the nuts with the airgun. Otherwise the threads were too long-winded to get a socket to the nuts:

I realize I could have just cut the u-bolts under the wrap of the axle since I don't plan to reuse them - but honestly, cutting anything right up against the axle tubes didn't sit well with me.

That's it for now as it was all I had time to get into. I got all the u-bolts zipped off but that's where I stopped. Tomorrow I'll get the old springs removed (barring any sticking points - word is that front eye bolt can be a booger). Probably going to make a run to the local Fastenal to get replacement front eye bolts and, fingers crossed, get this project knocked out with the new springs installed. So far, PB Blaster and airtools are getting the job done great.........................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.