Milton's Other Jeep Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Milton's Other Jeep Build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #76
zachndorsett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah definitely digging it, im going to have to use that style for my next bumper ;D. It would have sold me too, its got a mean face look to it lol

Unread 08-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #77
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachndorsett View Post
Yeah definitely digging it, im going to have to use that style for my next bumper ;D. It would have sold me too, its got a mean face look to it lol
lol..........I thought the same thing.......

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #78
JeepN4KC

Yesterday I decided to crawl under the XJ to get an idea on the removal of the tcase drop and factory cross member. It'll come out so I can install the TnT Customs bellypan that's been waiting to go in. All pretty straightforward stuff. I decided to forego the uni-stiffeners as I just wanna get the pan installed. I'll have to snag either a full tap&die set or an individual M10 x 1.5 tap and I also need to pick up a handful of M10 x 1.5 x 30mm bolts and flat washers that are missin from the hardware I got from the guy I bought the skid. That skid is ****ing beefy so the install might be a PITA - we'll see.

Today I ordered a Tomken fuel tank skid. I picked it up from a vendor on JF - JeepHut - for $180 shipped! Great deal I thought - plus I have the $100 Visa card rebate from when I bought the KM2s so the skid is pretty much 80 bucks out of pocket for me.

I like the way the Tomken skid intalls because it mounts front and rear with holes in the bumper flange and the bolts from the fuel tank strap hangers - which means I don't have to mess w/ taking that rear hitch off just to remount it (NO THANKS). I'll post up some install updates when I get everything put together.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #79
jmccallie
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah let me know on the skids, I have been looking around and trying to decide... Curious to see if it mounts up easily, id like to do some belly protection on mine soon.
Unread 08-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #80
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccallie View Post
Yeah let me know on the skids, I have been looking around and trying to decide... Curious to see if it mounts up easily, id like to do some belly protection on mine soon.
Will do. I am curious too, that's why I started crawling around under the Jeep and lookin at things for the belly pan. I bought the belly pan off a guy associated with my local Jeep club for 200 bucks. It had never been installed and other than missing some mounting bolts it's brand new.

I contacted Tomken and had them email pics of their fuel skid install - I'd be more than happy to email them to ya or PM them when I get a chance - let me know. Hit up JeepHut on here in the vendor forum for a price on the Tomken skid - great price!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #81
JeepN4KC

Today I spent time under the XJ wrestling with the belly pan to get it installed. Total PITA! Funny when aftermarket parts are supposedly "bolt-on" and they are amost always more than just that. If I had this to do over again I'd have an extra set of hands for the entirety of the install. By the grace of God a buddy from my local Jeep club just happened to stop by when I was laying on my back trying to get the last part done. I guess after all the cussing I'd done and damning the skid and the Jeep to Hades - the good lord decided to step in......lol Anyway - thanks Tommy!

First things first - jack the trans/tcase to support it once the crossmember is off.

This location proved to be worthless because I needed access to that spot when it came time to mount the skid. Best place to jack the trans is right where it marries-up to the rear of the block.

Next thing to do was wrench off the crossmember and the trans mount bolts:

Now that the crossmember and 1" tcase drop kit is off I'll put it up for sale:

Next I assembled the rear section of the skid to the main crossmember:

Then had to tap the forward most nutsert on the bottom of the unirail with an M10 x 1.5 tap:

Now it's ready to place into position. Another jack is basically a must without a helper:

It was a major biznatch to get this sucker lined up with the 3 mounting holes on each uni and the 4 trans mount bolts. Seemed easy enough, but it did not want to line up. I had to yank on the tcase and hammer the skid side to side all while applying the right amount of up force on the jack to get it all to line up - but I got it.

With the main crossmember in place mark the holes on the flange that tucks against the inside of the driver side rail. The rear portion of the skid will have to be disassembled now in order to properly mark and drill the mounting holes. These marks will get a 1/4" hole drilled in them. I used a punch on all 4 marks to set a starting point for the drill because you can't really get perpendicular to the drilling surface without a 90degree drill (I don't have one):

Also note that I transferred the vertical lines to the bottom of the rail, and then around to the outboard side of the rail. Then, measure up from the bottom of the rail to the horizontal marks on the inboard side and use that measurement to mark horizontal lines on the outboards side:

Now it's ready to drill. Using a step drill bit I put 13/16" holes on the outboard side:

Then come through the outboard side with a 3/4" holesaw to drill out the inner member of the unirail. (The forward hole was the only one with an inner member. Once that's done go all the way through with a 1/2" hole on the inboard side.

This is when my buddy came by and he helped me get the rear section mounted back to the main crossmember and the inside of the unirail:

I hand tightened the rear bolts so I could still move it around in order to line-up the flange/unirail bolts, anticrush sleeves, and nuts. Then I torqued those 4 down. Then torqued the 3 bolts on each unirail. And last I set the trans mount bolts in the middle of the crossmember.

And there ya have it - easy as pie, huh? I wish:

It tucks up there nicely:

And the awesome part: when I eventually get an SYE I'll have to unmount this thing to reagin access to the tcase for that install. Can't wait........

Eliminating the tcase drop does make the rig feel different underneath when on the gas - but I can live with it for now.

Until next time.....................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #82
jmccallie
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yep the words bolt on, always sound so easy! Seems like I always need a drill , bfh, pry bar, and ratchets... looks great though good work!
Unread 08-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #83
zachndorsett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Whered you get those tcase drop bushings? I need to do this since i lifted mine
Unread 08-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #84
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccallie View Post
Yep the words bolt on, always sound so easy! Seems like I always need a drill , bfh, pry bar, and ratchets... looks great though good work!
Yep - I had stuff strung all over the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachndorsett View Post
I don't know where the tcase drop came from - it was there when I bought the Jeep.

On another note - I was asked by a member on NAXJA if I readjusted the linkage (on the tcase I assume) to ensure full contact in all gears? Anybody else know what I'm talking about - I'd never heard or read of this.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #85
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachndorsett
They are from the RC lift kit you could probably order some for cheap
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #86
zachndorsett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshharris98xj View Post
They are from the RC lift kit you could probably order some for cheap
Really? My RC lift kit didnt come with those, or are they an added item?
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #87
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Really? My RC lift kit didnt come with those, or are they an added item?
Did you get the x series?
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #88
zachndorsett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure, when i ordered it, about 2 months ago, it came with the n2.0 shocks. 3" kit with new leafs
Unread 09-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #89
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Not sure, when i ordered it, about 2 months ago, it came with the n2.0 shocks. 3" kit with new leafs
Full leaf packs if I'm not mistaken is an X series.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #90
zachndorsett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Full leaf packs if I'm not mistaken is an X series.
I didnt get any tcase drop bushings. But they did manage to send me 8 u-bolts instead of 4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.