Milton's Other Jeep Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Milton's Other Jeep Build

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #61
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I got the Aussie installed today

Included a write-up in the tech section as well for future reference.

Start with all the supplies and tools:

Instruction manual
Aussie locker parts from box
Original side gear washers
Original c-clips
Carrier center pin (I picked up a new one since the original was fairly worn)
Feeler gauges
Shop towels
Coffee
Tobacco
Flat head screw drivers (small & large)
8mm open end box wrench and socket
More shop towels
Soft mallet
something to drive center pin in/out (I used a ratchet)

I had my axles all the way out for a bearing/seal redo so first thing I had to do was re-insert my axle shafts:

Next - grease the teeth of the axle gears and the back (or outboard side) and place the washers to the outboard side of the gears. The grease will hold the washers:

Then put the axle gears in the carrier and the spacers to the axle gears - again, grease is your friend as it acts like a glue to stick the parts together:

Insert the center pin and usea flathead screwdriver to push the spacers outward toward the axles. Then use feeler gauges to measure the clearance between the center pin ad the spacers:

Check the manual for the proper spacing. I realized the gauge used in this pic wasn't the right one to be checking with - so pay close attention to what the manual reads. Then - record your spacing on the back of the manual. This is critical because if a problem arises the warranty is void without proper spacing and documentation. My spacing was .008:

Once you get the spacing recorded pull the center pin back out and the spacers:

Next - grease the teeth of the cam gears, the inside diameter of the cam gears, the slots and holes for the pins and springs, the springs and pins themselves, and set the spacers in the cam gears oriented so they will "cap" over the axle ends. Also, set the pins in the slots with the "step" going into the slot first:

Next - push the driver side axle through the driver axle gear and set the c-clip:

Then press the driver cam gear against the axle gear and seat the spacer over the axle/c-clip:

Then push the passenger axle into the axle gear, set the cam gear against the driver cam gear and orient the "slot" to insert the passenger c-clip. With the c-clip in place push the passenger spacer to "cap" over the axle/c-clip. Then press the passenger cam gear against the passenger axle gear:

Orient the two cam gears so the center pin holes, and pin/spring slot/holes line up. Use a small flathead to slide the pins across the slots and into the holes. Then, set the springs in place with one end seating on the now exposed "step" and the other in the outboard side of the slots:

Once this is done measure the spacing between the two cam gears:

And again - check the manual for specs and record it. Mine was .165:

Re-insert the center pin and tighten the set bolt w/ 8mm box wrench.
It is now installed:

But not done. Now it's time for the "spin" test. The manual explains in detail how this is to be performed - but a trick I used to hold the one side in position was to chock the tire with the mallet while I spun the opposite tire. The cam gears should "click" and allow the tire to spin in the opposite direction of the chocked tire:

Don't forget to record this step was done:

Once this is done it's time to button up the rear diff:

Once the diff cover is back on and fresh gear oil is put it the diff - take your new rear locked XJ out for a spin. It will be a clickety-clack SOB on turns but after a while you'll get used to how to drive with your new more capable XJ

This took about 2 hours from start to putting the diff cover on. I took my time, followed the manual EXACTLY, and kept my hands clean so I could take pics. It is as they say - easy as changing brakes.

Good luck to anybody wanting to do this and I hope the write-up is helpfull!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #62
JeepN4KC

I also received my $100 pre-paid Visa card in the mail from Discount Tire Direct while I was finishing up the install. This day just kept getting better.

Once I was done with the install and refilled the front and rear diffs with fresh gear oil it was time to take the XJ for a spin. I drove around the block some and then decided to hit a place around the corner. It's an undeveloped housing edition - so nothing special - but got to play a little:

Back in business baby!

Until next time...................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #63
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Good pics and info on the install man, i'm sure ill probably re-read it a few times while studying a clean install.

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #64
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your XJ is very clean. Looks good.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #65
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin
Good pics and info on the install man, i'm sure ill probably re-read it a few times while studying a clean install.

Thanks dude - I wanted to put together the most useful and user friendly walk through I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95
Your XJ is very clean. Looks good.
I've put some work into it to get it there - thnx!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #66
JeepN4KC

Took a quick drive in the XJ today to get an alternator. Paid $30 for it from a part-out Didn't even have to turn a wrench - seller unmounted it and handed it to me

Now I can swap that whiny one out with this and maybe look into getting the old rebuilt.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #67
JeepN4KC

I have some play in the hinge pins of the driver door which obviously causes the door to move and misalign when it comes to closing. The other morning I got in it to drive to work since I wanted to give the WK a breather after driving out to CO last weekend. Well, I went to close the door and it just bounced open. I got to lookin and found the whole latch assembly is pretty chewed up and metal of the door that it mounts to is pretty torn up as well.

I put a washer in the upper bolt head and it cinched the assembly back down some:

I'll come up with something as I don't wanna have to swap the entire door if I don't have to. I think I'll try and get a thin piece of metal to span all the area I can, notch it for the striker opening, and hopefully it will be able to capture good door metal and spread the load more than washers. I'll keep my fingers crossed and post up whatever it is I come up with.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #68
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just did that in my buddies zj, weld around the bolts it's your best bet
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #69
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshharris98xj View Post
Just did that in my buddies zj, weld around the bolts it's your best bet
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I really need to add welding to my skillset because it would be very useful for me to know.

I ended up just going the washer route for now:

Really cinched everything up - I'll just have to be more diligent lifting the door as I close it rather than just slamming it shut.

When I get more time I'll fab this piece of stainless to scab over the bulk of the bolt holes and assembly fascia and notch out the opening for the striker:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #70
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I really need to add welding to my skillset because it would be very useful for me to know.

I ended up just going the washer route for now:

Really cinched everything up - I'll just have to be more diligent lifting the door as I close it rather than just slamming it shut.

When I get more time I'll fab this piece of stainless to scab over the bulk of the bolt holes and assembly fascia and notch out the opening for the striker:
Go to harbor freight and pick up a little p shooter I taught my self and when using gas it's even easier
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #71
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshharris98xj View Post
Go to harbor freight and pick up a little p shooter I taught my self and when using gas it's even easier
I thought about that last time I was at HarborFreight and was lookin around. My uncle has a welder I could practice around with, too. I need to get around to doin just that.

I finally got the alternators swapped out today. Look at how cracked and damaged the housing is on the old one:

And the new-to-me alternator nestled in place:

Badboy purrs like a kitten now (well with the exception of the Flowmaster exhaust). Anyway - no more whiney @$$ alternator noise from the engine compartment. Pretty sweet deal swapping it out for $30 and a quick morning's worth of wrenching. Oh.......and that old alt I took out, the pulley would barely turn so I got it outta there just in time.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #72
multmigs
2003 WJ 

great build man! love to watch at home as guys do stuff themselves in driveway on jackstands like i do. Can i suggest you do a rear brake line replacement? Your looked just like mine did and in the past year i have had both sides fail while driving which is not alot of fun. yes i'm an idiot for doing one side and not the other till 9 months later but hey... the tools for flaring are available everwhere for like $25 and you can either buy straight lengths or just a huge roll... Also a good time to put a longer rubber rear line from frame to axle so you can flex out...
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #73
JeepN4KC

^^^ Thanks man!

The brake line redo is a really good idea. Something I hadn't thought of actually. Only thing I'd looked at was cinching up the rear passenger line that tends to hang low on these XJs. Appreciate the suggestion.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #74
zachndorsett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sweeeeeet XJ! I love that front bumper, its amazing. Good pics of the cut and fold jobs, i have done half that so far! Looks good!
Unread 08-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #75
JeepN4KC

^^^ Yeah, dude - I dig the front bumper too! Wish I could take credit for it but the PO had it welded up by a buddy of his. It was one of the things that sold me on the Jeep when I gave it a look over and drove it. :-)

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.