Milton's Other Jeep Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Milton's Other Jeep Build

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #46
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

A short 10 minute drive and $30 put this in the back of the XJ:

Came out of a '00 XJ Sport. Let the window shopping/$ saving begin for an SYE kit .

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #47
JeepN4KC

Got some stuff done over the past couple days until everything came to a screeching halt this morning - more on that later.

The other day the guy in the brown truck brought goodies:

JCR nutstrips - time for the hitch install.

In the meatime I swapped out my serp belt. I have a whistle/whine from roundabout the alt. and had hoped a new belt would resolve it. I quick turn of the key w/ no belt rendered no noise so the sound is def. belt/pulley driven.

I disco'd the e-fan to clear the way for two 15mm bolts that loosen in order to remove the old belt:

Old belt off and put aside for spare:

I don't have a diagram under the hood so I whipped up a reference drawing:

And wrapped the new belt on - and tightened it down:

Still have the noise but - I'll figure it out - prob the alternator bearings.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #48
JeepN4KC

On to the next project - which proved to be a complete PITA!

Installing the hitch.

First thing I had to do was muscle wrench the old nutstrip out. Just 2 bolts on the tailpipe hanger - they did not want to come out:

But I made them - with the help of a 3' piece of square tubing as a breaker bar:

Primed and painted the nutstrips:

While that dried I prepped the mounting bolts w/ anti-sieze:

Then fit them in. This pic is the driver side for orientation (took me a little to figure this out):

I used my 7 year old daugher, my floor jack, a scrap piece of 2x4, and a lot of sweat and cuss words to get the hitch, nutstrips, unirail, fuel heat shield, tailpipe hanger, blah, blah, blah to line up and torque down. It sucked! Had to cut about half a foot off the exhaust tailpipe in order to fit with the hitch. But - I made it happen:

I have a Smittybilt 10K lb hitch shackle and locking hitch pin enroute from Amazon (gotta love Amazon). Should be in tomorrow via free shipping. So - rear recovery point is covered.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #49
JeepN4KC

And so this morning is where things took a drastic turn.

I popped the rear diff cover to swap in fresh gear oil and give these welded spider gears a looksee. Not good.

That pic might not show it - but the welds are cracked:

Look upper-left/lower-right:

Lower-left/upper-right:

I started a thread over in the XJ tech sub-forum (along with NAXJA and my local Jeep club) did some searching on the www, and talked with a guy from one of the area 4x4 shops. Looks like I will likely start stacking the deck in the piggy bank for a true locker swap of the entire carrier. The R&P look good to go so I think I found this ticking time bomb before it went off.

Well - this build is definately in a holding pattern for now (and I haven't even wheeled it yet). I'll update when there's updating to be done. Feel free to comment, bash, admire, whatever...and until next time...................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #50
Anthony92x
2007 WK 

It would be killing me not to be able to wheel that beast (as I'm sure it's irritating you as well) good luck man. Should start a "get the XJ on the trail" fund haha
Unread 07-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #51
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony92x
It would be killing me not to be able to wheel that beast (as I'm sure it's irritating you as well) good luck man. Should start a "get the XJ on the trail" fund haha
I don't know about "beast" - but it is killin me that I haven't even wheeled it yet.

My last post I said everything came to a screeching halt. (Good thing I didn't literally do just that from the diff blowing up). Well.........guy in the brown truck brought the finishing touch for the rear recovery:

forumrunner_20120720_163225.jpg

I had to lube the receiver with WD40 and give it a couple good whacks w/ a bfh so I really don't think I needed the locking hitchpin - because nobody is pulling it out of the receiver by hand.

forumrunner_20120720_163556.jpg

So............now I have to start building funds.............

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #52
JeepN4KC

I've decided to sideline the XJ to the garage until I can work enough OT to save up for a fix. I'm planning on either a Detroit autolocker or Trutrac as this would replace the whole carrier. Sucks because this is something I wasn't looking at addressing till further down the road - but the road just got ALOT shorter. If money works out I will regear it now while this is getting done (4.56's) - currently has stock 3.55's. I've done a ton of research on diff reassembly and regearing and with preloads, backlash, pinion depth, contact patterns, etc., etc, this is way over my skill set and toolbox. If anyone is in my neck of the woods and has the skills and tools to help me with a wrench-a-thon to do this please give me a shout - as I would GREATLY appreciate the help. Otherwise, I'm looking at hauling it out to 4x4Land (Topeka, KS which isn't far from me) when the time comes - I've heard awesome things about their shop and have seen some of their work in action on the trails. Thanks to everyone who's put in their 2 cents and feel free to continue filling my brain with ideas.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #53
JeepN4KC

After spending some time yesterday on the world wide internets I came to the conclusion that something was worth a try:

I was able to bust up the welds enough to rotate all the internals out of the carrier

I put all the pieces in individual baggies with labels so I know where all the washers go if I need them:

So far as my research goes.......I should be able to pop a lunchbox locker into this open carrier:

Very excited about this as it changes everything I was thinking had to come next..........for the better.............

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #54
JeepN4KC

I'd given this some thought the other day and decided today I would go ahead and replace the old rear axle bearings and seals. They aren't necessarily showing signs of wear but they do have over 115K miles on them. Since the XJ is currently out of commission on jack stands with the differential torn down and axles pulled from the pumkin - I figured why not swap them now. Seems like the perfect time, since otherwise it being a c-clip axle means dropping the diff cover, draining the oil, removing crosspin, removing c-clips, pulling axle shafts ..........then having to put it all back together.

First I pulled the axles all the way out to expose the seals and access the bearings:

Then laid out my supplies and tools. A slide hammer with bearing puller attachment made this job EASY. I rented the tool from O'Reilly's and most any auto parts store has a tool rental program. The rental was by far the most expensive part but once you return it you get your credit back.

2 seals
2 bearings
Axle/bearing grease

If you're replacing the bearings and seals you don't need to pull the seals first with a ring seal pulluer/tool because they both come out together with the slide hammer attachment. Insert the bearing puller, attach the slide hammer, and have at it:

Be sure to wipe down the inside rim of the axle tube real well to clear away any debris, oil, or grease before reseating the new bearings and seals. If the inside lip of the axle tube is scratched up or marred you might consider some rtv around the sides of the seals or directly to the inside lip of the tube.
I packed the bearings with some grease so they are prelubed before I get around to refilling the diff/axle with oil:

Carefully tap the new bearings in - they will come to a "seat" so don't worry about pushing them too far into the axle tube. I used the head of a rubber mallet that fit into the tube opening and the blunt end of a punch to set against the bearing and hit those to push the bearing in place. You can use just about anything that won't damage or marr the bearing case. Getting the seal in to cap over the bearing was more of a challenge for me. I used the old seal and bearing to hit against in order to seat the seal.

And there ya have it - new bearings and seals await the reinstall of my axle shafts. This took maybe 30-40 minutes on the conservative side and cost me about 30 bucks for the bearings, seals, and grease. I might put a thin smear of rtv on the outter edge of the seal/tube interface for good measure but I'll probably wait untill all this rear axle is up and running to see if it's even needed.

Until next time..............

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #55
JeepN4KC

Started the XJ up and let it run to bring up to temp today. I used the ol' long screwdriver-to-the-ear trick and pinpointed the source of the engine whine. Def coming from the alternator (as I suspected all along).

I also ordered a few items today

Dana 30 Solid Axle Industries diff cover
Chrysler 8.25 Solid diff cover
Aussie Locker for the 8.25 29sp

Got good deals on all 3 - buy direct from S.A.I. for great deals on diff covers
and I got the Aussie from Rockridge4WD.com (a vendor on JF that gave me the best deal I could find).

Can not wait for this stuff to arrive................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #56
JeepN4KC

Found out last night my Aussie and Solid diff covers were delivered. Naturally, while I'm on duty. Older daughter said the dog chewed up the boxes so hope he didn't ruin anything.

Gotta try and get this put together today or tomorrow so I'll see how the install goes............. and try to get a write up posted on this thread.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #57
JeepN4KC

Had a bunch of stuff goin on today - but I managed to find time for some stuff on the XJ.

First part of the day I laid out the diff covers and added a little touch. Did this to the WK diff cover and liked it - so why not repeat. Just some Rustoleum touch-up and then a few coats of clear. I'd heard tell of premature rust on these Solid diff covers back when I did the WK so figured some added protection couldn't hurt:

It was later towards evening when I got back to the Jeep so I popped the fronf diff cover, drained it, hit it good with brake cleaner. This gave me look at the front internals, ring, and pinion gears - everything looks good to go. I also see why a lunchbox in the D30 requires pulling the carrier - the center pin won't clear the ring gear:

Let it dry and squeezed a bead of rtv on the cover:

Let that skin over a couple minutes then lightly bolted the cover on:

Let it sit about 20 minutes while I straightened up the garage and put stuff up then came back and torqued it down in a star pattern to 30ft/lbs:

Now - anybody that knows me or my WK build knows I dig the stickers
So, while I was straightening up I added some character to the XJ:

That was good for the day. Tomorrow comes the real adventure as the plan is to install the Aussie in the rear 8.25

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #58
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
And so this morning is where things took a drastic turn.

I popped the rear diff cover to swap in fresh gear oil and give these welded spider gears a looksee. Not good.

That pic might not show it - but the welds are cracked:

Look upper-left/lower-right:

Lower-left/upper-right:

I started a thread over in the XJ tech sub-forum (along with NAXJA and my local Jeep club) did some searching on the www, and talked with a guy from one of the area 4x4 shops. Looks like I will likely start stacking the deck in the piggy bank for a true locker swap of the entire carrier. The R&P look good to go so I think I found this ticking time bomb before it went off.

Well - this build is definately in a holding pattern for now (and I haven't even wheeled it yet). I'll update when there's updating to be done. Feel free to comment, bash, admire, whatever...and until next time...................
Did you buy it welded? I just welded the **** out of mine, but I have about 1.5 pounds of wire in mine. I wilded everywhere I could including the gears to the carrier. I don't want it going anywhere!
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #59
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Did you buy it welded?
Yep - I don't know much about welding - but I'd say the PO, or whoever welded it, did a $h!t job. That's okay though 'cause I was able to get the cracked welded iternals out of the carrier for the Aussie

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #60
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cool deal! I also had some issues with my JCR nutstrips. No fun.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.