Milton's Other Jeep Build - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Milton's Other Jeep Build

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #151
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
Did some tinkering today on the XJ. Finally got around to pulling the belly pan to investigate something I had suspected:

Yep - trashed transmission mount. I was getting some horrible rattle/thumping/vibes from time to time and could even feel it in the floorboard. I looked all over the underside for a few weeks hoping I'd find something other than this that was right there in front of me and quick to fix. Nope - bad mount. I also noticed the bolt holes in the belly pan are not centered:

I marked center and point to it in the pic and you can see the trans mount holes are off center to the driver side about 1/2". I need to contact TnTCustoms in the morning to find out if the belly pans they sell are year specific so I know whether to order an off center tranny mount or not. I'll keep the thread posted on what I find out.

I also decided to pull the front driveshaft while under there to swap it with the spare I have. The spare was gonna be used for a HnT but I want to get the sloppy play in the slip shaft outta there. The spare is solid.

So - this is what I left it as for tonight - all jacked up

Besides - my daughters were itchin to do some punkin' carvin'

I'll be back with whatever it is I get to next and in the meantime Happy Halloween!!........................
Gotcha beat

image-707027981.jpg  
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #152
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

^^^ My seven year old said the one on the right is especially wicked

Nice work - I guess you could say I was going for quantity not quality

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #153
jakesjeepmj1988
1988 MJ Comanche 

How about my pumpkin?
image-3177640694.jpg  
jakesjeepmj1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #154
JeepN4KC

^^^ That's awesome! Eat, sleep, $h!t, and carve Jeep.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #155
JeepN4KC

So - I called TnT Customs this morning and found out I have an older model bellypan on a newer model XJ. Which is why the tranny mount bolt holes on the pan are offset to the driver side and the bolts on the old mount are centered. I made a call to O'Reilly's and had a '99 XJ transmission mount waiting for me to pick up.

Here is the difference:

The bolt holes to mount this to the transmission are the exact same and the only modification I needed to do was grind the alignment bump down on the exhaust hanger bracket that goes between the mount and the transmission:

Before I went any further with the t-mount/bellypan I went ahead and swapped in the new-to-me front shaft:

Then I put the new trans mount in with some blue locktite on the 2 mounting bolts:

With everything put back together I took it around the block some for a test spin:

A night and day difference. No more random, violent vibes/thumping/popping

I'm hoping to upgrade my steering next with a Crown HD linkage assembly. Hopefully sooner than later as I have quite a bit of play in the TRE/pitman arm joint - until next time.....................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #156
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

is that Trans mount easy to replace?? I have been chasing down vibes for a few weeks and when I get under the heep I can push up on the TC and I notice little play in the tranny mount... I thought this could cause vibe's and I think you have confirmed that my friend! doesnt look like it took too much to replace that mount..
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #157
JeepN4KC

^^^The trans mount itself is nothing - two bolts. The only reason mine was somewhat a PITA is the heavy@ss bellypan. It replaces the factory crossmember and isn't exactly an easy one-man job to pull off and put back on. But the transmission mount is as easy as it gets. Once you get the 4 trans/crossmember nuts off (13mm) then pull the crossmember (factory is two bolts per side). The trans mount is just two bolts. They are locktite blue from the factory so I used my airgun instead of messing with my breaker bar. Put the new one up and locktite it in. Easy cheezy

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #158
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good pictures, jealous of your belly skids. A friend just gave me a tc skid off his 85' cherokee but it unfortunately doesnt fit my 98'. I read online that the trans mount to crossmember nuts are to be torqued to 35ft lb. Dont torque them, it snapped a stud right off mine. Just put a 13mm socket on a decent sized ratchet and get them tight, dont over do it. Make sure the trans is supported before pulling that crossmember!
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #159
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Good pictures, jealous of your belly skids. A friend just gave me a tc skid off his 85' cherokee but it unfortunately doesnt fit my 98'. I read online that the trans mount to crossmember nuts are to be torqued to 35ft lb. Dont torque them, it snapped a stud right off mine. Just put a 13mm socket on a decent sized ratchet and get them tight, dont over do it. Make sure the trans is supported before pulling that crossmember!
I got the bellypan off a guy in Lee's Summit via KCJC for a great price. It had never been installed but I got it for much less than they go for new. That s.o.b. is stout!

I just hand tightened the 13mm nuts but 35ft/lbs isn't very much torque anyway. I used a little 1/8" drive deepwell 13mm. I put my jack under the oil pan and a jackstand under the exhaust muffler. You have to keep enough room under the t-case/tailhousing for room to work.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #160
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
I got the bellypan off a guy in Lee's Summit via KCJC for a great price. It had never been installed but I got it for much less than they go for new. That s.o.b. is stout!

I just hand tightened the 13mm nuts but 35ft/lbs isn't very much torque anyway. I used a little 1/8" drive deepwell 13mm. I put my jack under the oil pan and a jackstand under the exhaust muffler. You have to keep enough room under the t-case/tailhousing for room to work.
It didnt seem like it was to much torque until I heard "snap." I had just bolted the crossmember to the frame/unibody and was tightening the final mount nut, then the nut/stud fell inside the crossmember and I had to remove it again to replace the mount! Who makes that skid if you dont mind me asking? I saw a rustys oil pan/trans skid on CL a month or so back, seemed like you had to drill quite a few holes in the frame which Im trying to stay away from. I have a teraflex oil pan skid that bolts to the bottom of my ax15 bellhousing, Im searching for a gas tank skid. I already put a gouge in my gas tank, and the first time wheeling my wrangler at ks rocks I cracked its fuel tank.
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #161
JeepN4KC

^^^ TnT Customs HD bellypan. THE best around IMO.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #162
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks a bunch for that info since its so easy and cheap I mean I might as well ive replaced everything else on my own just never even thought about doing the TRANS MOUNT, ill get that swapped out thanks! appreciate all the details also, I might not have supported the tranny up, lol that is something one would need to know im sure!
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #163
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesjeepmj1988 View Post
How about my pumpkin?
nice!

This was mine from last year
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #164
JeepN4KC

^^^Now that is some nice carving!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 11-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #165
JeepN4KC

Went to PicknPull and a local metal shop today. I was lookin for a fan shroud but no luck. I wasn't leaving empty handed so I wrenched off a fan cluth from a '98 4.0 ZJ. Then picked up a couple 1x2x5 flatbar "blocks" and some 1.5 square tube (.125 walls).

forumrunner_20121101_191642.jpg

The fan clutch swap is cake. First pull the old assembly off by removing the four 1/2" nuts at the pulley:

forumrunner_20121101_191853.jpg

Then remove the four 13mm bolts to separate the clutch from the fan:

forumrunner_20121101_191957.jpg

The two side by side:

forumrunner_20121101_192057.jpg

forumrunner_20121101_192041.jpg

Then bolt the ZJ clutch to the fan:

forumrunner_20121101_192241.jpg

Then bolt the new-to-me assembly back on:

forumrunner_20121101_192556.jpg

And viola - a simple, cheap "upgrade" that is direct fit with nothing else needed:

forumrunner_20121101_192717.jpg

The clutch ran me $16 and the steel $11 - so all in I got the makings of 3 mods for under 30 bucks. The blocks and square tube are for something I hope to get to in the next week so I'll see how things go and update when updates are made.

Until next time........................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.