Milton's Other Jeep Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Milton's Other Jeep Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Milton's Other Jeep Build

Hello to everyone in XJ land!

Well, I'm not new to the forum but definately new to the XJ platform and subforums. I've spent the last better part of a year building and modding and wheeling a WK and I am about to embark on a new journey with a 2001 Cherokee Sport. My wife and I made an agreement that a true dedicated trail rig was in order if I was going to continue my addicted ways. As well, I was excited to join the SFA crowd. I found the XJ to be half the cost of most any Wranglers out there and I've seen Cherokees in action - very capable! As it stands I found a hell of a deal on Craigslist: 4.5" lift, Cragar steelies wrapped with 33s, Dana 30 front w/ factory SYE, Chrysler 8.25 rear with lunchbox locker, cb/antenna, custom front bumper/bull bar with d-rings.

The interior is what you'd expect from a 2001 vehicle - used but certainly not trashed. The exterior will go through some TLC. Looking forward to tinkering with this and learning the rig! I have some crappy pics to post up:

jeep-xj.jpg  

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
Anthony92x
2007 WK 

Yeah we definitely need more pics on your new rig. Any problems with it at all?

07 WK 3.7 Bilstein hds, bored TB, K&N filter, RC 1.25in spacers, Kicker audio, Trail lights, 4prong plugs. Cree 7w reverse lights mostly blacked out.
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
JeepN4KC

^^^I'm picking it up tomorrow and hopefully I'll have a chance to snap some more pics. Problems? Has a bad a/c compressor, looks like a bad pinion seal in the front. It could use a steering alignment, the exterior could use a little TLC. But the bones of it are solid and it has a practically brand new 2000 motor that was pulled from a salvaged Jeep the same year it was built. The seller had the original motor seize-up on him and it shelled. He found a 2000 4.0 I6 that had been sitting on the racks for 11 years - it was turned over every 3-4 months while sitting and to his surprise was pretty much a brand new engine waiting for a home. The body of the truck has 114K on the ticker. I'll need to throw some new meats on it - but it's a solid rig and runs and drives great!
I'm looking forward to having a toy to tinker with and wheel

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Anthony92x
2007 WK 

Sounds great man. Now you won't dent up the wk like I did today whoops. But I've seen a couple on CL around here that about like the one your getting. Even one that had a modified exterior for rock crawling full cage. Looked great. But anyways I like it. Everyone needs a I don't give a **** jeep haha

07 WK 3.7 Bilstein hds, bored TB, K&N filter, RC 1.25in spacers, Kicker audio, Trail lights, 4prong plugs. Cree 7w reverse lights mostly blacked out.
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
JeepN4KC

Alright, got it home today and spent some time cleaning it up:

I must have jinxed myself when I said it runs great because I drove it around the corner while my older daughter sat in the WK in the driveway so we could test the cb. While I'm sitting at idle talking with her on the cb (cool - cb works) the XJ sputters and dies. I go to restart and it doesn't want to right off and then the check engine light comes on. As of right now it will randomly hesitate to start, and when it starts it will randomly sputter, surge, and /or die. The thing is, it will start, it will run, and it will drive (around the school across the street is as far as I messed with).

Only things I did was clean the engine bay with degreaser and rinsed out. I let it dry for a good hour or so before starting it and it ran fine. Later in the evening is when the issues surfaced. I added some washer fluid and topped off the coolant resevoir after I got it home as well. It had no issues when I test drove it around the other day and none when I drove it home today. Not exactly what I had in mind when I decided to pull the trigger on buying it. I'll have to do some searching and tinkering and in the morn I think I'll go to O'Reilly's and borrow their code reader and have the alternator tested but that's about all for now.
We gotta get ready to hit the sands of Anna Maria Island, FL in a couple days.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Anthony92x
2007 WK 

Even if it does sputter it still looks good haha hope nothing to serious
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony92x View Post
Even if it does sputter it still looks good haha hope nothing to serious
My thoughts exactly. But - it's a machine and machines break.

I just didn't plan on it the same day I brought it home

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 06-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

looks good.

fix the front trim job, and trim the rear.

Id like to see better pics of that front bumper if you have them.

subscribed.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
millfire517
2000 XJ Cherokee 

We brought our xj home only to have it start to overheat at an idle. Going to put a new radiator in it to hopefully fix the issue.
millfire517 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 03:32 AM   #10
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
We gotta get ready to hit the sands of Anna Maria Island, FL in a couple days.
I go to Anna Maria Island almost every year and never knew they allowed Jeeps on the beach! Not like my poor XJ would make it all the way there anyway

New Jeep looks good man, get some meats on that rig soon those look like drag slicks!
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_In_Black View Post
looks good.

fix the front trim job, and trim the rear.

Id like to see better pics of that front bumper if you have them.

subscribed.
As far as "fix" I was considering getting some Rusty's flex flares front & rear but I'm not sure what you mean. The XJ world is new to me so feel free to school me. I'll post up some better pics of the bumper after we get back from vacation as I plan to prep, prime, and refinish it - it's welded on btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millfire517 View Post
We brought our xj home only to have it start to overheat at an idle. Going to put a new radiator in it to hopefully fix the issue.
Yeah the temp stays just under 210 and the oil pressure seems to run around 35ish give or take at idle. Seems to build oil pressure with throttle just fine and the temp doesn't shoot up. So - I don't know. Glad it's not one of our everydayers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
I go to Anna Maria Island almost every year and never knew they allowed Jeeps on the beach! Not like my poor XJ would make it all the way there anyway

New Jeep looks good man, get some meats on that rig soon those look like drag slicks!
We're flying down there but that would be awesome to run a Jeep at the beach while there. We almost rented a Jeep while down there but settled on a Ford Taurus (could be worse but the price was right).
Def needs new meats! Probably gonna go with Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs in the 33x12.50x15 size. I'm not sure if I can, but if possible I'm gonna cut off the fake bead lockers on the steelies as they are just gonna trap $h!t behind that lip and be a pain in the @r$e to clean out. The wheels will get a fresh new paint job (rattle can some black and then a top coat of clear). If I can't remove the faux beadlock I'll pull all the bolts and run them through a grinder brush wheel to shine them back up, same with the center caps and lug nuts.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
JeepN4KC

O'Reilly's couldn't test the alt w/o me taking it off and bringing it in because their handheld is out for repair. I got other loose ends to tie up for now which don't involve Jeeps so no time for that mess. But - the OBD code reader threw the following:

P1296

which according to my findings = No 5 Volts To MAP Sensor

Time for some more research.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
The wheels will get a fresh new paint job (rattle can some black and then a top coat of clear). If I can't remove the faux beadlock I'll pull all the bolts and run them through a grinder brush wheel to shine them back up, same with the center caps and lug nuts.
I did the same to mine. They turned out great! Pics in my build thread.
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Going to St. George Island this year, wonder if they allow Jeeps?

sorry...off topic I know, lol
Unread 06-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
JeepN4KC

Even though I have "other" things to do I couldn't resist. Did some looking around the internet and forums and did some tinkering. Took the old MAP sensor out and I noticed a crack in the "lid" part of the sensor. There was water coming out of it hmmmmm that's not good.

Might be hard to see but there is moisture coming from the corner:

Got a new MAP sensor and popped it in - knoock on wood - everything is back to normal.

Guess I'll think long and hard next time I have the urge to wash the engine bay.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.