Milky diff fluid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Milky diff fluid

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-18-2014, 04:39 AM   #1
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Milky diff fluid

I've been having a humming coming from the front end so I decided to open the diff and drain the fluid. When I did it was a milky white color. I'm guessing it's water? But wouldn't the water separate from the oil?

I'll be replacing the back seal as well since I noticed a some lol on the rear of the housing. Could that be how the water got in? It's a d30 on a 2000 xj. Any help would be awesome!

Trainhop91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

It's probably water. At the high speeds and heats that those moving parts reach, the water and oil become a milky emulsion that takes a very long time to separate. Check your breather hose for a leak/hole. Pull your wheels to see if there's evidence of oil leakage at the axle seals; that could be another potential entry point.

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

Yep. I've seen it look like chocolate milk, too. If your breather tubes aren't extended now might be the time...
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Can't seem to find a breather tube on this thing. None anywhere around the housing?
Unread 08-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Kinda over there. The other end of the hose should be near the firewall.

d30-breather.jpg

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
Just about there. The other end of the hose should be near the firewall. .
Thanks for the picture, I had been looking around but couldn't find it. Ended up finding it on the other side. Seems all the other pictures I see have the vent tube on the passenger side. Any reason mine would be on the driver side?
image-790601759.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.