Mikes '96 XJ Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Mikes '96 XJ Build

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #76
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Twin-tube Low Pressure Gas
A shock absorber or strut can be a low pressure gas, twin tube design. This basic design has not changed too much since the 60's, but there have been some refinements over the years. This design has some characteristics, such as a soft valving, and usually costs less to manufacture than a Monotube or Adjustable type shock absorber. They are usually pressurized with some Nitrogen gas, usually 100 psi or less. In this design the hydraulic oil and gas are mixed together in the same chamber, which, while dampening, causes some aeration/foaming. Monroe Auto Equipment, Bilstein, and KYB GR2 still make units like these.

Mono-tube High Pressure Gas
A shock absorber or strut can be a high pressure, mono tube design. These are a more modern type design, and have characteristics of their own. The monotube design allows them to operate cooler. Monotubes are under high pressure, from around 200 psi, to as high as 360 psi. The hydraulic oil and Nitrogen gas are in separate chambers, separated by a floating piston. This allows the shock/strut to function without any aeration or foaming. Monotube shocks usually have a stiff valving, and traditionally cost more to manufacture. They are also able to withstand more punishment, and offer higher dampening ability. (for instance, most racing shocks, from Nascar to Formula One, are of a monotube design). Great care and engineering is taken into consideration when manufacturing a monotube, and many have a very specific valving. This is years of racing technology adapted for street and off-road use. Some of the companies that make monotube shocks are Bilstein , Edelbrock, and KYB.

XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #77
T-REXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I know a lot of people don't like towing with there rigs, but I want to be able to tow my popup... In this case would a mono tube be better in the back since it is stiffer?
T-REXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #78
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REXJ View Post
I know a lot of people don't like towing with there rigs, but I want to be able to tow my popup... In this case would a mono tube be better in the back since it is stiffer?
If you can afford it check out something like the Rancho RS9000XL shocks they are adjustable so you would get the best of both worlds
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #79
T-REXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ya those would be awesome, a lil outta my range for now though, I think im gonna go for the monotube kit, so heres another newb question why do we use springs in the front and leafs in the back?
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #80
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
ya those would be awesome, a lil outta my range for now though, I think im gonna go for the monotube kit, so heres another newb question why do we use springs in the front and leafs in the back?
Coil spring front. Leaf rear.
Puck81 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #81
T-REXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I know that I mean why not use a coild spring in the back?
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #82
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I know that I mean why not use a coild spring in the back?
I tried to find a reason but came up with nothing. Maybe it was just cheaper?
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #83
T-REXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Lol thanks for lookin, hmm I wonder if that's possible to do coils and mono tube shocks in front and rear
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #84
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

They make kits coil over kits for the rear of the xj just not cheap though
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #85
T-REXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ive been lookin at the RE 3.5" lift but not sure if im ready to go that far yet, maybe something like what you were thinkin about doin Xjmike to get started atleast
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #86
T-REXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I am also thinking about doing a few diy projects like these, not permanent necessarily but ive heard great things especially at lower speeds, like we do off roading.

Maybe something like this but more complete around the filter:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/m...system-245583/

Or this sorta(scroll to second post)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/x...-xj-xj-184475/
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #87
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
ive been lookin at the RE 3.5" lift but not sure if im ready to go that far yet, maybe something like what you were thinkin about doin Xjmike to get started atleast
I think I'm goin to see what will fit with a BB longer shocks and the those bushwacker flat flares. 32s or maybe 33s. If its 33s I'm going to be needind a different axle and new gears. I want to keep a low COG.
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #88
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Oh and those filter mods look like a good ides. I think I'm going to do the cowl snorkel mod.
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #89
T-REXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

it wouldn't let me look at that mod for some reason, and ya for right now until some more work comes around I would like to keep it a low COG on 32's but I will probably change axle and gears anyways
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #90
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
it wouldn't let me look at that mod for some reason, and ya for right now until some more work comes around I would like to keep it a low COG on 32's but I will probably change axle and gears anyways
From what Puck was saying if you have a 29 spline 8.25 You should be good on the axle. Maybe just get some alloy shafts. Then you would have 2 spares and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than even a 8.8 swap. Good chance you will break steering parts before those go. Me and (probably Toxic also) have the weakest dana 35. that's why I'm going to go with the 8.25. Probably never goin to be doing any extreme wheelin anyway.

Tags
black , build , cherokee , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.