Mikes '96 XJ Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 131 Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 PM
XJmike0122
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REXJ View Post
Oh wow I bet especially in this heat that hair sheds like crazy.... for some reason I cant keep my dogs out of the jeep every time im workin in it or even walk towards it they go nuts
Yeah when they blow there undercoat there is hair every where. A lot of people think you should never have mals in the desert but I do often find my girl laying out sun bathing in the middle of the day.

XJmike0122 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 131 Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
T-REXJ
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bosque Farms
Posts: 119
T-REXJ is offline  
post #63 of 131 Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
T-REXJ
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bosque Farms
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
And with a 5 sp, chances are your diffs are stuffed with 3.07 gears. If you want 32-33's a step up to 4.10's would be the best option. How ever i do know a few guys running the factory 3.07's with little issues with 33's.
Thaks for the info when it gets time for the lift I will look into possibly changing up to the 4.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post
Yeah when they blow there undercoat there is hair every where. A lot of people think you should never have mals in the desert but I do often find my girl laying out sun bathing in the middle of the day.
Ya dogs are weirds but awesome they adapt so im sure they are fine, there is a house down the road from me that has like 4 huskies
T-REXJ is offline  
post #64 of 131 Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 PM
XJmike0122
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 259
Man I wish I had a 5 speed my left foot gets so bored when I'm driving.
XJmike0122 is offline  
post #65 of 131 Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
T-REXJ
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bosque Farms
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post
Man I wish I had a 5 speed my left foot gets so bored when I'm driving.
Lol that's what made me jump on this one, I haven't had a Standard forlike 6 years I love it
T-REXJ is offline  
post #66 of 131 Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 PM
XJmike0122
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REXJ View Post
Looks like a 8.25 Depending on when in 96 ur XJ was built determines if its a 27 or 29 spline

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REXJ View Post
Lol that's what made me jump on this one, I haven't had a Standard forlike 6 years I love it
This is the first automatic I have ever owned.

Last edited by XJmike0122; 07-09-2013 at 07:28 PM.
XJmike0122 is offline  
post #67 of 131 Old 07-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Puck81
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: las vegas
Posts: 2,300
You have a 27 spline 8.25. Its better then the Dana 35, but if you are going to wheel your rig get some high alloy shafts or get the 29 spline axle from a 97+ XJ.
Puck81 is offline  
post #68 of 131 Old 07-09-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
T-REXJ
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bosque Farms
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post
Looks like a 8.25 Depending on when in 96 ur XJ was built determines if its a 27 or 29 spline



This is the first automatic I nave ever owned.
honestly I have no idea the difference between a 27 or 29 or even what a spline is
T-REXJ is offline  
post #69 of 131 Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 PM
XJmike0122
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REXJ View Post
honestly I have no idea the difference between a 27 or 29 or even what a spline is
The bigger the better. Wait for a more detailed answers. LoL
Check your vin # for what month it was built. After 06/96 should be 29 spline.
XJmike0122 is offline  
post #70 of 131 Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Puck81
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: las vegas
Posts: 2,300
The 27 spline axle shaft in your rig is 1.19" in dia. The 29 spline in the 97+ 8.25 has a dia of 1.21. So with just thet bit more beef on the shaft plus more spline count makes an axle stronger. A lot of guys will say that the XJ Dana 44 is the end all bee all rear axle you "need" to have, or say the Explorer 8.8 with disks are the best cuz it has 31 splines, thus makes it stronger. All this is true, but it's splitting frog hairs to really find the best all around axle. The D44, 8.8, and the 29 spline 8.25 can all handle the same tire(with smart wheelin'). Make you choice on how you wheel, then choose what axle you need. If you do most of your trail wheelin' with the skinny pedel, maybe you need the best upgrade tou can buy. Buy if you wheel smart, choose good lines and buy better shafts, wjat ypu have will work out fine. But untill then, learn how to wheel stock, then modify as needed.


Closing comment:
Make sure you do ALL the maintianace BEFORE you start doing any wheelin'. Many time POs do not service all the important things. Start with the axles, drive shafts, transfercase, linkages, transmission, MOTOR!!!! Sensors, i hope you get it. Also check the motor and trans mounts, they can lead to failures on the trail too.
Puck81 is offline  
post #71 of 131 Old 07-10-2013, 01:54 AM
XJmike0122
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 259
Hey Puck thanks for the info on the 8.25. Do you know if there would have to be any mods to keep the ABS if I swap the dana 35 for an 8.25? Just wondering seeing as any XJ with ABS has the 35.
XJmike0122 is offline  
post #72 of 131 Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 AM
Puck81
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: las vegas
Posts: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post
Hey Puck thanks for the info on the 8.25. Do you know if there would have to be any mods to keep the ABS if I swap the dana 35 for an 8.25? Just wondering seeing as any XJ with ABS has the 35.
No. You will lose the rear ABS. Only the D35 is set up for it. But any how if you plan on wheelin' harder then a dirt road you will want a stronger axle, and in the end, who cares about ABS.
Puck81 is offline  
post #73 of 131 Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
T-REXJ
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bosque Farms
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
The 27 spline axle shaft in your rig is 1.19" in dia. The 29 spline in the 97+ 8.25 has a dia of 1.21. So with just thet bit more beef on the shaft plus more spline count makes an axle stronger. A lot of guys will say that the XJ Dana 44 is the end all bee all rear axle you "need" to have, or say the Explorer 8.8 with disks are the best cuz it has 31 splines, thus makes it stronger. All this is true, but it's splitting frog hairs to really find the best all around axle. The D44, 8.8, and the 29 spline 8.25 can all handle the same tire(with smart wheelin'). Make you choice on how you wheel, then choose what axle you need. If you do most of your trail wheelin' with the skinny pedel, maybe you need the best upgrade tou can buy. Buy if you wheel smart, choose good lines and buy better shafts, wjat ypu have will work out fine. But untill then, learn how to wheel stock, then modify as needed.


Closing comment:
Make sure you do ALL the maintianace BEFORE you start doing any wheelin'. Many time POs do not service all the important things. Start with the axles, drive shafts, transfercase, linkages, transmission, MOTOR!!!! Sensors, i hope you get it. Also check the motor and trans mounts, they can lead to failures on the trail too.
Thanks for all the info it helps a lot, I will probably be asking more noob questions as this goes.

Anyway I bought this through a dealer, he got it from auction, salvage title, that's alright with me, theres rust though so we will see how it goes. I should still check everything more thoroughly.
T-REXJ is offline  
post #74 of 131 Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
T-REXJ
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bosque Farms
Posts: 119
Ok so I have another question, Im looking at Rubicon Express rite now, looking at there Super ride short arm lift kit, my question is: whats the difference between a mono tube shock and a twin tube shock, obviously one tube, but I mean beyond that whats the difference?
T-REXJ is offline  
post #75 of 131 Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Puck81
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: las vegas
Posts: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REXJ View Post
Ok so I have another question, Im looking at Rubicon Express rite now, looking at there Super ride short arm lift kit, my question is: whats the difference between a mono tube shock and a twin tube shock, obviously one tube, but I mean beyond that whats the difference?
Honestly.... IDK. I do know that the monotubes have a firmer ride, but like i said IDK. I do however have monotube RE shocks in the front of my XJ and twin tubes in the rear, and i love the ride!
Puck81 is offline  
Reply

Tags
black , build , cherokee , xj

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome