Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Mikes '96 XJ Build

12K views 130 replies 11 participants last post by  T-REXJ 
#1 ·
Hey everyone im mike from New Mexico, New to the site, so all help is appreciated, So I just bought this 1996 XJ. It has a few issues nothing mechanical that I can tell. mostly cosmetic stuff.... There is a rust hole on the front passenger side floor pan, broken rear wiper, missing front wipers, spare tire and radio. AC runs cold and heater runs hot, there are a few dents. So good thing to this was the asking price was 2950, not bad for where I live considering the condition... So he gave me an option 2650 as is or 2850 and he will fix the rust problem, replace the wipers, spare tire, and he will give me the radio that was sitting in the back seat lol. I decided for 200 bucks I would let him do the work and save myself the headache.

So here's what's in future for this beast

I plan on a 3-4" suspension lift (maybe rough country if I can get it)

32" BFG mud-terrain, or the All terrain TKO( still deciding on what tires)

Safari rack mite build myself

off road lights

ohh and I will be getting fender flares, and possibly rock/branch guards for the lights.

I'm sure eventually when I want to put a winch on I will probably build custom bumpers. also possibly exterior spare tire rack to make more room on the inside.
I would really like the smittybuilt G.E.A.R seat covers to but there not made for Cherokees for some reason. I also will be installing a roll up awning that attaches to the safari rack. Im sure im missing something, but Ill figure it out soon.

:eek:Oh ya did I mention I plan on doing all the work myself, but I don't know hardly a thing about mechanics.:confused: Most ive ever done is oil changes, and replace an alternator on my 07 galant

I have two pics but im not allowed to post attachments ?

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to Jeepforum.
I've got a '96 XJ daily driver mildly built up but not too extreme, just about like your plans actually, and I love it.
yep JF forum members love pics to discuss, but there is a 25 tech post requirement before you can attach them, which helps a lot in keeping spam to a minimum.
You could open a free Photobucket account and upload them there then post the IMG links they provide, so they'll show up as pictures in your posts if you want.
Good luck with your build!

#4 ·
Sweet another mike with an XJ from NM... Mine is black, I think it has bigger tires than would normally come stock...seems beefier, just got mine from the shop today they were takin care of a couple rust issues.

Ill figure out how photobucket works and link some pics...

#6 ·
That looks like a damn good rig you got there sir! Welcome to the forum and have fun! Make sure to read up on some of the build threads on here, that way it will give you a starting point and what out comes YOU want. Good luck, and keep us posted.

#16 ·
I love your rig, It's identical to mine except yours has four doors and thirty inch tires! Only 1 Year newer than mine too. Can't wait to see what you do with her...I'll be checking back often!

#18 ·
Hey guys, so I have done a few things nothing structural or mechanical yet. Lets see I got new seat covers, put the radio in(sorta), and I put a new shift nob on and replaced the missing cig lighter. just small cosmetic stuff for now. I have plans and the funds for a lift and tires but idk what lift to get, I was checking out the forum on Cherokee lifts and Im more lost then I was before lol. I was originally thinkin a 3" rough country lift package or something like that and 32" BFG All Terrain TKO, or or the wrangler duratracs..... Not quite sure though need something really good for sand and roacks, mostly sand though.

Went out rabbit huntin today took the jeep and it did great as expected. saw some cool things, found a new place to wheel, but didn't find any rabbit..... Ill post some pics

#19 ·
So I decided to got shooting, Jeep did pretty good, found a new spot to wheel aswell so overall pretty good day

Went shooting for part of the day:

Found a new spot to wheel decided to take this hill first:

Further up:

Further up....got to sandy or just a bad line...maybe next time:

Found another way to the top:

The view from the top fo the new wheelin spot:

Different hill:

#20 ·
Ok, so far you have a great plarform to start with. "My" advice is to go with the Rubicon Express 3" super ride kit with rear springs. I say this because i have riden i a XJ with this kit, and the ride is awesome! I personaly got the 4.5" super flex kit because of how well it rode. For "me" this has worked out well because i am a rock dog, I spend most of mu trails in the rocks and hard packed dirt plus sand. This has worked oht well for "me". So do your resurch, and good luck. Oh and i run 32/11.50/15 tires with my lift for now.

#22 ·
Thanks for the Info Puck, Ya originally I had narrowed it down to either a rough country, runbicon express, or skyjacker.... Ill check out prices on the rubi and see if its possible.

That's sounds good to me. I could bring a few of my friends. Mr. AK and Sir Mossberg. Have not been shooting in a while either. I'm sure some would disagree, but I would recommend Eric Zappe's book High Performance Jeep Cherokee Builders Guide. Its has a lot of good info in it.
Thanks mike ill have to check that book out. Ya just let me know when and where, if theres anyones else from ALBQ area same goes

#26 ·
I'm thinking about trying to fit 32 with just a BB and fender trimming. Until I can get an sye. I know the newer XJs start to have problems with vibs with any more lift without one. Big O Tires has some 32X11.50R15 mud claws for $172.00 each. Don't know much about them though.

#34 ·
Did a few things to the xj today vaccumed and cleaned all the plastic...and made custom floormats, also the first pic is of something i have no clue what it is? Any guesses?

FLoor mat project:

Making templates:

Backseats:

Trunk:

This is what im using, yes the stuff in the trunk could be tighter, if i pinned or glued it but i didnt just stuffed it under the plastic molding...good enough for me

#36 ·
...also the first pic is of something i have no clue what it is? Any guesses?

Big brother is watching you. :laugh:

okay, actually it's the receiver for a door lock remote that has a range of not much further than the key so often they get pitched in the trash and forgotten about.

#37 ·
XJmike0122 said:
Care to elaborate on that statement. I find it hard to believe if you use quality parts that's it does not play some factor.
"Quality" isn't necessarily going to cause something to flex better. People use the junk IRO long arm and get good flex. Since when did lift size mean you are using quality parts? I've run some kind if 3" coil, a rear add a leaf a good track bar an did a few other clearance mods for the control arms and got just as much "flex" as a good 6" lift. This was all on bent, trashed, factory short arms. How you ask? I ran the same length shock as the 6 inch kit. At this point, every aspect in my suspension had been taken into account other than the stock control arms.

#38 ·
:eek:Oh ya did I mention I plan on doing all the work myself, but I don't know hardly a thing about mechanics.:confused: Most ive ever done is oil changes, and replace an alternator on my 07 galant
I just want something that is good quality that I will be able to install myself Ill say again this will a learning experience

#49 ·
So I foudn my camera finally, and i decided to take pictures of the floor mats finished since i forgot to upload them yesterday.
Also there is a Picture of my windshield weather stripping? thats comming out any recommendations?

#53 ·
Lol dosnt stay clean for long with Two dogs actually. Both german shepherd, well one is part Great dane and Belgium ...... something I cant spell and the other is full blood german german shepherd from what ive been told. Both about 90lbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.