Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Mikes '96 XJ Build

12K views 130 replies 11 participants last post by  T-REXJ 
#1 ·
Hey everyone im mike from New Mexico, New to the site, so all help is appreciated, So I just bought this 1996 XJ. It has a few issues nothing mechanical that I can tell. mostly cosmetic stuff.... There is a rust hole on the front passenger side floor pan, broken rear wiper, missing front wipers, spare tire and radio. AC runs cold and heater runs hot, there are a few dents. So good thing to this was the asking price was 2950, not bad for where I live considering the condition... So he gave me an option 2650 as is or 2850 and he will fix the rust problem, replace the wipers, spare tire, and he will give me the radio that was sitting in the back seat lol. I decided for 200 bucks I would let him do the work and save myself the headache.

So here's what's in future for this beast

I plan on a 3-4" suspension lift (maybe rough country if I can get it)

32" BFG mud-terrain, or the All terrain TKO( still deciding on what tires)

Safari rack mite build myself

off road lights

ohh and I will be getting fender flares, and possibly rock/branch guards for the lights.

I'm sure eventually when I want to put a winch on I will probably build custom bumpers. also possibly exterior spare tire rack to make more room on the inside.
I would really like the smittybuilt G.E.A.R seat covers to but there not made for Cherokees for some reason. I also will be installing a roll up awning that attaches to the safari rack. Im sure im missing something, but Ill figure it out soon.

:eek:Oh ya did I mention I plan on doing all the work myself, but I don't know hardly a thing about mechanics.:confused: Most ive ever done is oil changes, and replace an alternator on my 07 galant

I have two pics but im not allowed to post attachments ?

See less See more
#103 ·
Sorry Ive been in Southern Cali for a week, back now and ready to do some work to this beast, anyways:

I like how it looks up there and I cant really tell its up there for the most part haven't driven it far like that though but when I get a roof rack and new tires I will probably keep it up there

#106 ·
Hey everyone,its been awhile since i have posted anything no lift yet but I am working on this tool box. This rig is going to be built to be and expedition stile rig. So here are the pictures, I have some crappy cellphone pics of the beginning if anyone wants to see that otherwise here is the build about halfway in.

#107 ·
ok its been awhile since i posted anything, but finally got all my parts in and have put them on....gonna finish the quick discos today

Attachments

#109 ·
31x10.50 wrangler duratracs... been happy with the lift once i got it on but if i ever talk to someone from Rubicon Express there gonna get an earfull... especially with these quick discos

#110 ·
Wow looking good man! This build is 7 pages of chit chat then you just pulled out the big guns on us all at once. Sensory overload in half a page haha.

Im envious of the cargo box, Im at that point where I really need to figure something out similar to that. Keep up the good work, nice to see parts roll in and get installed all at once.

#112 ·
So today i put on my quick disconnects not sure if theyre on right or not there kinda angled a little bit but it was amazing how much it stiffened up.... and also ripped off the plastic under the front bumper. Finally glad to have it out of the shop and driving it, feels good but makes a popping noise or something similar to that when i turn, Ive heard it could be the cv boot? not sure anybody have some ideas or advice?

Attachments

#113 ·
so went out and played in the snow today... still getting a weird popping noise when i turn but figured i had to get out in the snow lol....

Attachments

#117 ·
havent really had it on ice but they work good in the little snow ive played in, but i hear the BFG AT's are one of the best and the BFG Mud Terrains are pretty good from what i hear.... the thing i like about the BFG's atleast they used to have a line of rubber between each tread that prevents ice sticking to a flat surface.... not sure if they still do though

#119 ·
Started workin on my tool box, hope to have that done before the next wheeling trip, plus trimming flares and gas tank leak fix, and then install gas tank skid.... anyways just built another drawer(2of3) and rigged the top lip with lights

Attachments

#122 ·
So its been awhile since ive really done anything put a gas tank skid plate on, and went wheelin with a decent size group....oh and i just ordered napier v2 flares, and a jcr offroad diy rear bumper, i will be making a custom front bumper... here is a pic from the trip and a video of me

:rofl:

Attachments

#125 ·
So it has been awhile since i have updated this build. So first thing first, I built my jcr diy rear bumper... love it now i want to build a custom front bumper. Next thing i found a great craigslist buy which was the roof rack, which is a defender roof rack with the defender light guard and 4, 9 inch pro comp biolights... Oh and i finally got a full size spare. Now on to the more pressing matter wich would be the recent damage. Long story short tried to climb a rock stairs type obstacle and broke the uhh( forgot what it was called but its between the slip yoke and transfer case) where it is mounted in the t-case. So im thinking of doing an sye, not totally sure of what that entails.... and advice would be great, now heres the pictures:

Attachments

#127 ·
thanks:) yes the output shaft sheared off i think there might have been a hairline crack or some previous damage as there was evidence of rust where the shaft was broken... ill see if i can go take a pic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.